mtbr member

KM Fork Concerns?

I am having some hesitancy running the KM rigid w/stock fork..

I am never a huge fan of rear facing dropouts as I am concerned about the Q/R shaking loose and releasing the wheel. I am 6'5" 205lbs. ride fast/aggressive XC and plan on using the Mavic Cross29max wheels so they will have decent skewers.

Thoughts to help me put my fears to bed?

Many Thanks,

PanFry

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Use quality skewers and it won't be a problem. The wheel will never fall out thanks to the "lawyer lips", but if the skewer slips you'll notice the brake rubbing and be able to fix it.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member

right on

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Use quality skewers and it won't be a problem. The wheel will never fall out thanks to the "lawyer lips", but if the skewer slips you'll notice the brake rubbing and be able to fix it.
    I had similar thoughts but wanted a little peer affirmation

Many Thanks,

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

Robtre
    6'5" 225 here and to confirm your assumption: YES ITS A PROBLEM! Braking forces drive side of the axle forward and brake side (assuming disc) outward. There are 2 fixes: 1 Surly tugnuts: B-. Nutted axle/ bolt on axle A+. It works. I had XT internal cam skewers and it still moves.
    The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    6'5" 225 here and to confirm your assumption: YES ITS A PROBLEM! Braking forces drive side of the axle forward and brake side (assuming disc) outward. There are 2 fixes: 1 Surly tugnuts: B-. Nutted axle/ bolt on axle A+. It works. I had XT internal cam skewers and it still moves.
    The OP is asking about the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    In all of the information that is on the internet about Surly bikes or the KM in particular has it ever been mentioned by someone that there is a problem with the fork and a QR? How does a QR shake loose exactly?

Expert Crasher
    6'3" , 200lbs - have not had an issue in four years running my 08 KM rigid.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin