Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    743

    KM Dropout Alignment

    Just recently bought a 2012 KM frame and built it up 1x9 rigid. I love the way the bike handles on the trail and wish I would have tried the KM before countless other 29ers that have cost me a small fortune to try, then resell.

    Have 1 problem though and wanted to find out if its common to the KM...

    I'm running Salsa Delgado (29mm rims) wheels with a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 in the rear. With the wheel slammed all the way forward in the dropout, the tire sits about 2mm off the non-drive side chainstay. Its close to a 1/4 inch off the drive side chainstay. When I get on the bike and ride, the tire rubs.

    If I insert the Monkey Nuts, it buys me enough real estate to run the wheel without issue, but I feel like it defeats the purpose of the short chain stay design of the KM. The dropouts are clearly misaligned. Brought it to my LBS and they said the dropouts on track-end SS frames are commonly off a little and that's why Surly provides the Monkey Nuts.

    Is this true? What to do?
    Enjoy the ride!

  2. #2
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    The Monkey nuts were provided to space the rear wheel back IOT alleviate interference issues with the front derailleur, not the reason your LBS gave you.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  3. #3
    "Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Reputation: kkjellquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    The dropouts are clearly misaligned. Brought it to my LBS and they said the dropouts on track-end SS frames are commonly off a little and that's why Surly provides the Monkey Nuts.

    Is this true? What to do?
    Have you checked the dish of the wheel? Don't automatically assume the wheel is perfect. A solid mechanic should be able to do this for you since you need a dishing tool.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist View Post
    Have you checked the dish of the wheel? Don't automatically assume the wheel is perfect. A solid mechanic should be able to do this for you since you need a dishing tool.
    Or he could just flip the wheel over? If the gaps stay the same, wheel is dished fine, if they change, wheel is out.

    Regarding the dropouts, with the wheel all the way in does the tyre...

    sit central in the seat stays.
    sit central relative to the BB.

    With these answers way may be able to give better answers.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    743
    Had the shop check the dish of the wheel and it was good. Also checked the setup with my "road" wheelset consisting of Salsa Delgado Race (24mm rims) wheels and Big Apple tires (2.35") and the wheel was also skewed to the non-drive side, though not as much because of the difference in tire width and knobs on the tires.

    In order to center the wheel in the chainstay, I have to move the drive-side of the axle rearward in the dropout, by maybe 5mm or so (a guesstimate, haven't actually measured that distance). However, as soon as I hit a big bump (root/rock) or drop off a root ledge (less than 1 foot high), the wheel slams back forward and rubs the non-drive chainstay again.
    Enjoy the ride!

  6. #6
    "Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Reputation: kkjellquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    655
    My next step would be to contact Surly directly and see what they say. Being a 2012 frame I am assuming you are the original owner and it should still be under warranty.

    IMO, and it's just that...an opinion, a frame that is visibly out of alignment should be replaced by the manufacturer.

    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    Had the shop check the dish of the wheel and it was good. Also checked the setup with my "road" wheelset consisting of Salsa Delgado Race (24mm rims) wheels and Big Apple tires (2.35") and the wheel was also skewed to the non-drive side, though not as much because of the difference in tire width and knobs on the tires.

    In order to center the wheel in the chainstay, I have to move the drive-side of the axle rearward in the dropout, by maybe 5mm or so (a guesstimate, haven't actually measured that distance). However, as soon as I hit a big bump (root/rock) or drop off a root ledge (less than 1 foot high), the wheel slams back forward and rubs the non-drive chainstay again.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist View Post
    My next step would be to contact Surly directly and see what they say. Being a 2012 frame I am assuming you are the original owner and it should still be under warranty.

    IMO, and it's just that...an opinion, a frame that is visibly out of alignment should be replaced by the manufacturer.
    Contacted Surly yesterday and they said they'd take a look at it, just to have my LBS contact them direct. Just a little scared that my LBS said it is common and expected for the drops to be out of alignment.

    This is my only bike (and its less than 1 month old) now, so I want to be a sure as possible that it is a warranty issue before I send it back and am without for weeks.
    Enjoy the ride!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •