mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Keep CC or get a Cheap 1x1?

Here is my dilemma. I found a heck of a deal on Rootbeer Vaya on CL, barely ridden, for $850 about a year ago. It replaced my Mist Grey CC as my all around "road" bike. The CC has been sitting in my garage, it is in great shape. I was thinking of converting it to a SS to use as a commuter/beach beater. Trader Joe's is less than a mile, the beach is about a mile, and work is about two miles. Plus grab some breakfast/lunch on the weekends. I don't have to worry about it at work and probably not much at TJs, but at the beach . . . I don't really like cruisers.

The problem is that the CC is n really good shape and I was afraid it would be prone to theft. So, I was thinking of selling and picking up an older 1x1 that is more beatup and less of a temptation to thieves. I figure the CC would get about $650 and I could get a cheaper 1x1 and use the extra cash for racks/basket/tweaks. Or if I keep the CC spend a couple of hundred bucks converting it to a SS and worry about thieves.

Thoughts

mtbr member
    I vote 1x1.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    1x1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry, it is a 50cm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I sold my CC and now I really regret it.

mtbr member
    If you want a 1x1, get that, but I don't see it financially making sense: the frames are about the same price from Surly, and they've both been around long enough that they're fairly common, so I don't see the used prices differing that much.

You could just space out a cog on your rear wheel, sell off the shifty bits, and use those proceeds to buy a basket, rack, and fenders. Then cover your CC in tape or stickers or something so it doesn't look so nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm not really seeing how a 1x1 would be less tempting to theives. Maybe an old beater rigid mountain bike from the thrift store is more along those lines. Or a Worksman.

But if you want a 1x1, get a 1x1. Might be a nice change of pace from the CC. Less similar to the Vaya too. A 1x1 with some big Hookworm tires would be a pretty cool beach bike - you could even ride it on the sand I bet.

mtbr member
    Keep the CC, you already have it, just convert it. Less hassle and you want to commute on the street, the CC is more flexible there.

mtbr member
    Ive never seen 1x1s that cheap, Id keep the CC, just get a good lock or do sumthing stupid like me and give your nice bike a terrible rattle can paint job