• 11-24-2012
    BikeThePlanet
    Keep CC or get a Cheap 1x1?
    Here is my dilemma. I found a heck of a deal on Rootbeer Vaya on CL, barely ridden, for $850 about a year ago. It replaced my Mist Grey CC as my all around "road" bike. The CC has been sitting in my garage, it is in great shape. I was thinking of converting it to a SS to use as a commuter/beach beater. Trader Joe's is less than a mile, the beach is about a mile, and work is about two miles. Plus grab some breakfast/lunch on the weekends. I don't have to worry about it at work and probably not much at TJs, but at the beach . . . I don't really like cruisers.

The problem is that the CC is n really good shape and I was afraid it would be prone to theft. So, I was thinking of selling and picking up an older 1x1 that is more beatup and less of a temptation to thieves. I figure the CC would get about $650 and I could get a cheaper 1x1 and use the extra cash for racks/basket/tweaks. Or if I keep the CC spend a couple of hundred bucks converting it to a SS and worry about thieves.

Thoughts
  • 11-24-2012
    mattbryant2
    I vote 1x1.
  • 11-25-2012
    1spd1way
    1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1! ;)
  • 11-25-2012
    elmoreman
  • 11-25-2012
    sasquatch rides a SS
    1x1 :D
  • 11-25-2012
    BikeThePlanet
    Sorry, it is a 50cm.
  • 11-25-2012
    akclimber49
    I sold my CC and now I really regret it.
  • 11-25-2012
    seat_boy
    If you want a 1x1, get that, but I don't see it financially making sense: the frames are about the same price from Surly, and they've both been around long enough that they're fairly common, so I don't see the used prices differing that much.

You could just space out a cog on your rear wheel, sell off the shifty bits, and use those proceeds to buy a basket, rack, and fenders. Then cover your CC in tape or stickers or something so it doesn't look so nice!
  • 11-27-2012
    bolandjd
    I'm not really seeing how a 1x1 would be less tempting to theives. Maybe an old beater rigid mountain bike from the thrift store is more along those lines. Or a Worksman.

But if you want a 1x1, get a 1x1. Might be a nice change of pace from the CC. Less similar to the Vaya too. A 1x1 with some big Hookworm tires would be a pretty cool beach bike - you could even ride it on the sand I bet.
  • 11-27-2012
    riiz
    Keep the CC, you already have it, just convert it. Less hassle and you want to commute on the street, the CC is more flexible there.
  • 11-28-2012
    scottg07
    Ive never seen 1x1s that cheap, Id keep the CC, just get a good lock or do sumthing stupid like me and give your nice bike a terrible rattle can paint job :madman: