mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Karate monkey wheelsl ?

I have the stock build wheels on my Karate Monkey and I wondered if those of you that ride single-speed and sometimes use Big Apple tires and if you were building a new set of wheels for moderate dirt and gravel plus road what rims and hubs would you choose?

A God Without A Name
    the ones you already have.

they're not really a weak point.

Though I hear great things about Stan's Crest rimes, as well as velocity P35/ Blunt SLs.

If you really need to burn some money, you can go crazy with hope/king/DT swiss hubs. they're great hubs.

or spend 44 bucks on an XT hub (mind you that's a front, rears arent too bad either) and also have a really great hub.

Honestly, good builder who uses quality spokes and nipples will probably effect the ride as much as the rim quality.

Whenever my rims ride like mud, I tend to check spoke tension, correct my spoke tension and then my rims ride pretty fresh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For moderate dirt and gravel, I would personally choose the following:

Rim brakes: Mavic Open Pro/Velocity A23, 32h, with XT hubs. (This is my current set up, except with Mavic 719 rims).
    Discs: Stan's Crest wheelset (depending on your weight).

Wide rims, like P35 (now called Blunt 35) won't have any advantage. I have them on my Jones, and really wished I would have bought Stan's Arch EX rims instead. They do work well on the Knard tire I have up front, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I used my stock wheels (surly new hubs/salsa el gordo rims) forever, then I built up a new set using the surly hubs with stan's arch rims. Lost over 2 lbs and love that set up. The surly hubs aren't too heavy and it brought my price down A LOT. I only use it for mountain biking though.

mtbr member
    I have several wheelsets for my monkeys (I got two :-)) and the one I like the most is Halo. Bought them pre-built (not sure if they were machine built or not) - Halo hubs laced to Halo freedom rims. They are not too wide and not to narrow, have been bombproof so far (never had to true them, etc). Best of all - they spin forever.
    And they come in white too - I have black ones. If you search 29er forum or SS - there is a member from UK (?) who runs white ones on his monkey

mtbr member
    Right now they are on my black frame wearing big apples 29x2.35. On my grey frame they were wearing Maxxis Ardents 29x2.4 most of the time

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you are running Big Apples, I wouldn't bother upgrading the wheels. Those tires are pigs and you can save tons of rotating weight with a lighter set of tires. That's much cheaper than new wheels. There's really nothing wrong with your wheels anyway.

mtbr member
    Yes, they are pigs but oh so smooth and no need to go around anything - just roll over.
    I love Big Apples!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm running xt hubs with Velocity Blundt rims. The rims are a little wider than the Alex DH19 I had on previously. The added width really helped off road allowing less pressure and no squirmy eeling in the turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Yes, they are pigs but oh so smooth and no need to go around anything - just roll over.
    I love Big Apples!
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    Totally!
    To OP - big apples can handle light dirt just fine. I wish Schwalbe would make fat franks in 29x2.34 or 2.4 - I'd ditch my apples in a heart beat
    I have them on couple of bikes in 26x2.35 and they are awesome.
    They do make them in 29x2 and you wil probably save some weight and it will be more then enough for moderate dirt and gravel.
    One of the bikes I have them on is 1x1, SS and it rolls awesome on pavement and I have no problems with fat franks in dirt, grass, etc unless it is really wet and muddy. And even then it just more fun - sliding and spinning and discovering you have all kinds of talent to just stay upright

So to sum up - question which should've been asked right away:
    What problem are you trying to solve? Are you tacoing your stock wheels? Are you afraid to take them mudding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    For moderate dirt and gravel, I would personally choose the following:

Rim brakes: Mavic Open Pro/Velocity A23, 32h, with XT hubs. (This is my current set up, except with Mavic 719 rims).
    Discs: Stan's Crest wheelset (depending on your weight).

Wide rims, like P35 (now called Blunt 35) won't have any advantage. I have them on my Jones, and really wished I would have bought Stan's Arch EX rims instead. They do work well on the Knard tire I have up front, though.
    Except that you get a bigger tire footprint.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Wide rims, like P35 (now called Blunt 35) won't have any advantage.
    Huh? Of course they have.
    Wider tire footprint, lower possible pressure without tire tilt over in curves.
    Everything a rigid rider wants!

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    I used my stock wheels (surly new hubs/salsa el gordo rims) forever, then I built up a new set using the surly hubs with stan's arch rims. Lost over 2 lbs and love that set up. The surly hubs aren't too heavy and it brought my price down A LOT. I only use it for mountain biking though.
    +1. I took my stock wheels apart, used the Delgado rims to build a set of rim brake cross bike wheels, then laced the Surly hubs to a set of Halo Vapour rims (slightly wider than Arch's). I can absolutely recommend the Halo Vapour rims - they have held up great to a season of rocky trail riding and work perfectly tubeless (setup with Gorilla tape). And they can be had at Outside Outfitters for about 51 bucks a piece.

Karate monkey wheelsl ?-halo_surly_ss_set.jpg