Ride a bike

Karate Monkey weight question.

I really like the geared KM. I understand the weight for a complete bike in large is in the 31 pounds (?) neighborhood with its not so high component specs and steel frame and steel rigid fork.

If I were to build up a geared KM frame is getting to 26 pounds achievable by installing the lighter major components such as: wheelset, carbon fork and cranks? I'm not trying to build the lightest steel bike possible but want to build a lighter KM. Any thoughts? TIA

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My 2011 complete km with large frame weighed 27.8 lbs with Time Atac XS pedals. Swapping the WTB Exiwolf tires for 2.25 nobby nics dropped over 1 lb in weight. I am now down to 24.8 lbs with factory build seat post, cranks, and steel fork. I am using a Niner carbon flattop bar, ESI chunky grips, Stan's Flow rims with Hope EVO Pro 2 hubs (rear SS bolt on), nobby nics tubeless, Shimano XT Icetek brakes 180/160, Surly 22t cog and 33t chainring, and KMC 610 chain.

Start with the km frame and steel fork and 26 lbs should not be a too much of a problem without the carbon fork.

Ride a bike
    Thanks for replying. I'm assuming your complete bike was geared and weighed 27.8 pounds stock? If you meant 27.8 pounds for a single speed then my estimate of 31 pounds for a geared bike is close considering the extra drive train parts.

Anyways, with your component upgrades and running SS you have it down to 24.8 pounds. That's not bad at all being a heavy-ish steel that Surly uses for the KM! I would be very happy with a 26 pound geared KM as it would suit me perfect for my type of riding (long XC rides). Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It was 27.8 lbs for the factory SS build from Surly.

mtbr member
    How many gears are you wanting? A 1x10 setup will weigh a lot less than a 3x10 setup, however you won't have a wide range of gears. 26lbs doesn't sound to hard to accomplish if you build it up with light parts.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDriven View Post
    If I were to build up a geared KM frame is getting to 26 pounds achievable by installing the lighter major components such as: wheelset, carbon fork and cranks? I'm not trying to build the lightest steel bike possible but want to build a lighter KM. Any thoughts? TIA
    Even with the stock steel fork its no problem to go under 26 pounds - I built up a KM for a friend with this weight. If you do XC type riding and need no heavy rims and tires this is not a problem.

Ride a bike
    Great info, guys. Thanks a bunch for your input! In terms of gearing I'm considering a 2 X 10 setup. Glad to know you can put the Monkey on a diet and get to 26 pounds or less. Thanks again.

-Cheers.

mtbr member
    I just checked my 16" 2011 KM with:
    2008 Rockshox Reba Race
    Stan's Crest 32h wheels
    Niner alu flat bar, Thomson 100mm stem, Chris King headset
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front, Panaracer Rampage 2.35 rear- both tubeless
    Truvativ Stylo crank, Shimano cheap SPDs
    Niner 32t cog, Shimano Deore 10 speed cassette, MRP guide, SLX derailleur
    Crank Bros seatpost
    Avid BB7s
    about 27 pounds

I put some lighter Bontrager tires on it and it's noticeably lighter. when I had it set up single-speed and rigid, it was under 24 pounds. a lot of that weight savings is in the wheels. I went from Mavic 317 rims with Deore hubs to a standard Stan's Crest wheelset and dropped two pounds off the total weight of the bike.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 02-21-2013 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I built my 16" KM last summer, fully geared and it came out to just under 27 lbs. Stock fork, Sram X9 2x10 drivetrain all around, bb7's, X9 hubs w/Stan's Arch Rims, Bontrager 29-4 2.3" tires (tubeless), and a carbon handlebar. It was a blast living in CO, and I only very rarely missed a slightly lower climbing gear. I've got it SS right now living in KC, MO and it's around 25 lbs or so - although I haven't weighed it lately.

Such an awesome ride! Having drunk the kool-aid, the new Krampus is VERY tempting... more volume and lower pressure all the way!!!

mtbr member
    Just weight my 20" 1x10 KM. 26.3 lbs on the shop scale.

KM frame and fork
    X9 shifter and rear mech
    X9 hubs laced to Sun Ringle Inferno 25

Nothing fancy anywhere else, just a solid build. Will weigh again when suspension fork shows up.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."