mtbr member
    Mar 2004

karate monkey vs jeff jones diamond frame

Yup - I now there is a huge price difference between the jeff jones diamond frame (steel one) and a karate monkey, but what about the ride/handling? Anyone ridden both and able to compare the 2?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Oh, man. I've ridden both. Actually had the KM just before I moved to the Jones Diamond frame. They rank as #1 and2 in my book as far as fun steel 29ers go.

The KM is a fun and versatile bike. The shorter chainstays really make it turn well in tight corners. I really can't say anything bad about the Monkey.

The Jones is a bit of a different animal. The geometry is definitely dialed in - it feels like a big kids BMX bike to me. The geometry is more laid back putting you in a more rearward-biased position. Personally, I love the position. It enables you to take pressure/weight off your hands and the front wheel of the bike. That in turn, makes for a more comfortable ride. It also allows you to pop the front of the bike up easier, despite having longer chainstays.

The one thing with the Jones is that you have to be committed to riding rigid. Its a non-suspension corrected design, so you can't really ever go with a squish fork (well, you can do anything you please, but I'm not sure how the handling would be). The other thing is that the Jones is a true investment since you also need to buy/build a front wheel designed around a 135mm front-disc spaced hub. The only ones around are Jones and Paul hubs.

IMO, if you have the means to have more than 1 trail bike, go for the Jones. If you think you'll want a squishy fork at some point, go with the KM.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bump!
    I am actually very interested in this comparison also. I have a Jones Spaceframe on the way and as crazy as it sounds i already want to build another bike lol....I have been looking into the KM, Krampus, and the Monocog flight. I am more looking for a city commuter, but also something that maybe my friends can borrow for a trail ride or bike packing trip occasionally.