mtbr member

Karate Monkey tire clearance

I have a 2013 KM and I tried a 2.4 On One Chunky Monkey tire on my rear Stan's Arch EX rim. the axle is slammed into the dropout with a 32x20 single-speed drivetrain and the tire clears the inside of the chainstays just barely under mellow pedaling conditions. when I pedal hard or corner, I can feel and hear the tire lugs hitting the inside of the chainstay. if mud or rocks get stuck in there, it actually slows me down. might this be due to the rim flexing, the tire deflecting, the frame flexing, or a little bit of all of the above?

I have a Hadley 10mm thru-axle in my Stan's 3.30 hubs, so the hub/axle is as stiff as can be. I can double-check my spoke tension but I checked it recently and they were at optimal tension.

I could add a link to my chain but that would throw off the super-short chainstays that I love so much about this frame. I could also use a narrower tire but these giant tires sure feel nice.

I guess it comes down to which part I love more right now: giant tires, or a short chainstay?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Karate Monkey tire clearance

Add a link. You won't feel any difference. However, you'll love that fat tire, especially knowing it has enough room there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't understand why you would want to run something like a 2.4 chunky monkey on the rear of a KM; I am completely with you on the short chain stays though.
    Our trails are sand clay mud, rooty, rocky and slimy. Just running a 2.25 ralph back the extra rubber in contact with the ground makes it feel stuck to the ground compared to my old post war Epic.
    Up there with the trail kings upfront though.....

mtbr member
    most of the trails I ride are covered in loose rocks and chucky boulders. some of the trails have virtually no dirt, just rocks. that's why I want a big tire- to stick to all that loose crap.

mtbr member

Re: Karate Monkey tire clearance

Big tires in back rock just as much as they do in front.

Had your same issue. 2.4 racing ralph, Velocity p35 rims. Tire rub when pedaling the hard. It's frame flex.

I ended up just moving the wheel back. Nothing else you can do. Try it. The slight extra length is not that noticeable. The bike still rips.