Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Karate Monkey Sizing

Seeing as how sizing the Karate Monkey seems to be somewhat of a mystery (i.e. "they run big" gets thrown around a lot), what size frames are you all running and how tall are you?

Edit: Thought I'd compile the sizing list for everyone (up to post #15)...

Feet-Inches-Frame
    5-7-16
    5-8-16
    5-9-18
    5-9.5-16
    5-10-16
    5-11-18
    6-1-18
    6-1.5-20
    6-2-18
    6-3-20
    6-3-22
    6-3.5-22
    6-5-20
    Last edited by mrrisotto; 06-22-2008 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    20"
    6'5"
    35" true inseam

I'm from Utah
    I'm 5'7" and comfortable on the 16" frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    5'9''
    30'' inseam
    18'' frame
    perfection
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suffering Mightily
    6'3 with a 34" inseam and love my 20. Tried a friend's 18 and it was cramped. I've seen a 22 and it looks huge. Good luck!
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

mtbr member
    5' 10" 32" inseam 16" frame. The top tube measurement is whet I am most concerned about on a 29er.80mm stem + 20mm Fleagle bar = a 100mm stem riser combo.Fits me perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrisotto
    Seeing as how sizing the Karate Monkey seems to be somewhat of a mystery (i.e. "they run big" gets thrown around a lot), what size frames are you all running and how tall are you?
    KM frame: 22" (XL)
    My height: 6'3"
    Inseam: 35"
    Stem: 100mm

Fits like a glove. It's actually my "smallest" 29"er (I have an XL Dos Niner and Sugar 293 as well).

KMTubeless

Post race....

KMPostIowaGames2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Monkeys do run big

i was riding a 19" Klein Att Race before i got the monkey and it was a little too big for me but i rode it for 4 years. When i went to get a KM i thought i would want/ need an 18" but im glad i didnt.

me: 5'9-5'10ish
    KM: 16" frame fits me great
    pants: 36x30

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Question to the guys riding small (16") Monkeys - Any problem with toe rub on the front tire (ie, frame being cramped)? By the way, Im 5'8" with 30 inch inseam.

mtbr member
    I have never had any problem with toe rub.Most 29er frames have longer top tubes for this reason.The bike fits me fine.
    I'm 5' 10-11. I use a 100mm stem.From seatpost to bar clamp is 26 inches which is my magic number for size. This is the same on all my bikes. My Santa Cruz Superlight is a large frame and is the same 26 inch seatpost to bar clamp with shorter stem. A lot of the Gary Fisher 29ers use 70mm stems or less. You may need a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i am 6'2" and had a L KM, but that was too big - i have 2 (one single one geared) M KM's right now and they fit me like a glove. Surly advised a Large though.
    more of what i have to say...
    thechainring.com

jceahodges

18" or 16"

I've been looking at getting a KM also, but am a bit unsure on size as well. I'm 5'10" with shoes and have a 32-33" inseam (long legs shorter torso). I ride a M Ibis Mojo and it fits perfect. I was thinking an 18" KM, but after this post, I'm thinking maybe 16" would be better. Any thoughts and/or insights??? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jceahodges
    I've been looking at getting a KM also, but am a bit unsure on size as well. I'm 5'10" with shoes and have a 32-33" inseam (long legs shorter torso). I ride a M Ibis Mojo and it fits perfect. I was thinking an 18" KM, but after this post, I'm thinking maybe 16" would be better. Any thoughts and/or insights??? Thanks in advance.
    Like a couple other people mentioned, size a bike primarily by the top tube length. Don't worry so much about what the "size" of a frame is. Find out what the top tube length of your Mojos is, and buy the KM that is nearest to that size. This gets a little trickier these days as some bikes have enormously long top tubes, and use correspondingly shorter stems. Maybe an even better way to size would be to combine the length of the top tube ans tem, and buy a KM that will give about the same length using a 100-110mm stem to start with.

Anyone else have thoughts on my sizing method? This is one way in which I size frames for myself and it works for me.

Chronic 1st-timer
    XL fits my 6'3-1/2", 34" inseamed body perfectly.

My bro stands about 2" less than me & wheels a L.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    5'11"
    32 inch inseam
    18 inch monkey
    110mm -5degree stem with Salsa 11-degree flat bars and ergons. Perfect!
    Last edited by dankilling; 06-26-2008 at 07:41 AM.

ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrisotto

Edit: Thought I'd compile the sizing list for everyone (up to post #15)...

Feet-Inches-Frame
    5-7-16
    5-8-16
    5-9-18
    5-9.5-16
    5-10-16
    5-11-18
    6-1-18
    6-1.5-20
    6-2-18
    6-3-20
    6-3-22
    6-3.5-22
    6-5-20
    Thanks for compiling .

I fall between the 16 and the 18 ( 178cm ; 5-10,5 ?! ) .
    I guess i'll go with the 16 as i have short legs and the ETT is only about 5mm on the short side.

Still trying to decide if i really want to replace the crosscheck .Man i love the CC on the road and fire roads !

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Don't replace the CC, just add to it. A CC is a great bike. It also makes a great commuter/touring/hauling bike.

mtbr member
    5'11"
    32 inch inseam

18 inch monkey

ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Don't replace the CC, just add to it. A CC is a great bike. It also makes a great commuter/touring/hauling bike.
    Yes ,it really is a great bike hence my resistance to sell ...buying the KM without selling would mean 4 surlys around ,plus all the high-end ti stuff (make that another 4) that i have lying around ...it is way to much stuff .To be completely honest i guess i should get rid of the expensive (and less riden) stuff instead .

I also wonder if there is a big trade off with the KM mtb geometry when used as a commuter or light tourer on the road or in fast dirt roads ...i mean ,i am not sure i would not miss the CC ...

ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That is one beautiful bike Mojoe !!!

mtbr member
    Mojoe, tell me about those racks.... surly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropthehammer
    Mojoe, tell me about those racks.... surly?
    The front is a Surly Nice Front Rack. The rear is a JANDD. Note, the JANDD doesn't really fit with 29er tires, but I cut out the cross bar under the center of the rack to make room.

Mojoe

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any possibility of making this frame work for someone who is 5.5' without shoes on?

I ride a 53cm Steamroller, so I could get a similar top tube length by running a 90mm stem.

I'm just worried that if I buy the frame they'll be no way I can get a good fit with it. What do you guys think?

I'd be using it for commuting/distance/cyclocross/polo/some trails/etc. so the set-up would change around a lot. From slicks and fixed gear to big tires and full gears and a 1x9 set-up somewhere in the middle there.

I just keep looking at this auction and thinking it'd be an awesome starting platform: http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Karate-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by rudetay
    Any possibility of making this frame work for someone who is 5.5' without shoes on?

I ride a 53cm Steamroller, so I could get a similar top tube length by running a 90mm stem.

I'm just worried that if I buy the frame they'll be no way I can get a good fit with it. What do you guys think?

I'd be using it for commuting/distance/cyclocross/polo/some trails/etc. so the set-up would change around a lot. From slicks and fixed gear to big tires and full gears and a 1x9 set-up somewhere in the middle there.

I just keep looking at this auction and thinking it'd be an awesome starting platform: http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Karate-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem
    dude:

that auction says the current owner milled the BB and coldset the driveside chainstay...
    unless i happened to know the person, and the bike... i'd be leery.

looking at the Steamroller vs KM effective TT
    KM 22.7
    SR 21.5

so ya... KM is 120mm longer.

short stems are kind of cool. my current daily bikes both have 90mm stems.
    the Hunter 29er has an inverted On One Mary Bar... i used this set up with a 90x15deg on a Salsa Moto Rapido... it was a trip, i liked it... i like it on the Hunter as well

on the BD that 15deg rise stem is put to a Titec H-Bar... i like that too. totally different gig tho.

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Fat guy on a bike
    I'm 6'3", 32inch inseam, and ride 21 inch 26ers. I feel I might be fine with the 20 or 22 KM, but cannot decide which would be a better long term choice. They are not that different at the top tube, differing mainly in the seat tube(standover). I can always adjust my seat hight, but can't adjust the standover.

I'm thinking unless you really need the longer seat tube, the 20 is the better choice.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast