mtbr member

Karate Monkey with Road Compact Crankset?

Hey All,

I have a 2011 KM frame that was a bit too big for me on the trail, so I'm trying to build it up as a fat-tired cross bike that I can use for commuting. I'm hoping to use an FSA Vero crankset (36/46t) that I pulled off of my other cross bike to save some money.

I tried installing this with a 73 x 110 square taper BB and the chainrings were rubbing on the chainstay. So I'll need something with a bit longer spindles, but I'm hoping to avoid going too long. Has anyone run a setup like this (larger chainrings paired with the monkey's wide chainstays)? And if so what kind of BB did you use?

Thanks,

Alex
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

I Ride for Donuts
    Not sure how similar the chainstays are, but I put a FSA Gossamer compact road double (50/34) on my Ogre when I was building it up. I didn't run it that way, but it had room. I ran it on my Access 29er before that, and the 50 was incredibly close to the chainstay, but I never had any problems with it. It had more room on the Ogre. Not sure on the spindle length since I got it used. I put 2 spacers on the drive side.

Edit: here's a bad picture of the clearance. the 34 was closer than the 50... but based on my experience with the Access, this is plenty of clearance .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Karate Monkey with Road Compact Crankset?-picture1.jpg  

Last edited by CommuterBoy; 04-23-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Yeah I think the big flares in the monkey's chainstays are what got me. Once the arms were clamped down, the chainrings are right up against the frame. Not sure if new BB spindle length should be in the 115mm range or 120 mm range, was hoping someone here would have advice.

I would expect the chainstays on the monkey and ogre to be almost identical, so it seems like there is some hope for me to run this setup

I Ride for Donuts
    I have that crankset at home... I will see if the spindle is marked with a size. Or I could just measure it for you.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    If you don't have to tear it off a bike that'd be cool.

I picked up a BB with 118mm spindle at the shop by my work today - hoping the 4 mm on either side will be enough but we'll see. At the very least bb #3 should be right thanks to your measurements

mtbr member
    May 2005
    By "cross" bike, you don't mean "cyclocross" or "monstercross" do you? Because if you are planning on putting drop bars on a mountain bike that is too big for you, you will need to have a stem that is negative in length.

Actually, that might be interesting. I wonder how a bike handles if the stem is on backwards? Somebody do the experiment and let me know.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

That is what I meant. The bike is not entirely too big for me - it's a 20" frame, and ive put a lot of miles on it. It felt fantastic on climbs but I just felt a bit less nimble on it in the real tight stuff than I did on my old 18" KM, which I gave to my brother. I've gotten a new 18" frame, but had trouble selling it so figured I would try this for my new commute (20 miles, a mostly coarse gravel, I get kinda bogged down on my cross bike).

I'm going to try a set of dirt drop bars that didn't quite feel right on my cross bike and a short stem - if that doesn't work I know i'll be plenty comfortable with some flat bars. I've been eyeing some new bars for the other km anyway, and I've never ridden a geared 29er MTB - suppose it could be fun

The 118mm spindle has pretty good clearance, probably a little bit more than what was in CB's picture. I think it should be good, just hope it doesn't push the chainrings too wide.