mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Karate Monkey Quick Release Rear Wheel?

How do you run a QR on the rear wheel of a KM? Is all I need the tuggnut?

Could anyone get me a pic of how this looks set up? and your experience on how it works?

Thanks!

Like a FirePlug
    I run a QR on the rear, using the monkey nuts, no problem.
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There are a couple of threads about this, but here's my experience:

If you're running single-speed with discs, a Shimano skewer with a Tuggnut holds the wheel just fine. The Tuggnut keeps the wheel from pulling forward during pedaling. You have to really crank down on the Shimano skewer, but that will keep the wheel from shifting backward during braking.

Monkey Nuts are for geared setups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BMXmuseum.com For Sale / Star shaped white chain tensioners

^ Will those work instead of the tuggnuts? Mod to make work? It would be convinient if so because I have a set laying around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hard to say if those would fit. The Surly horizontal dropouts have an overhanging lip on the top and the bottom. The "stars" on that tensioner might not fit into the dropout as a result. Obviously the Tuggnut is shaped to fit the Surly dropouts.

Also, the holes in chain tensioners are sized for bolt-on axles. If you use a quick release, only the skewer goes through the tensioner, not the axle. You need an adapter to reduce the diameter of the hole to work with your quick release. Fortunately the Tuggnut comes with this adapter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    Hard to say if those would fit. The Surly horizontal dropouts have an overhanging lip on the top and the bottom. The "stars" on that tensioner might not fit into the dropout as a result. Obviously the Tuggnut is shaped to fit the Surly dropouts.

Also, the holes in chain tensioners are sized for bolt-on axles. If you use a quick release, only the skewer goes through the tensioner, not the axle. You need an adapter to reduce the diameter of the hole to work with your quick release. Fortunately the Tuggnut comes with this adapter.
    I ride a KM singlespeed without tuggnut etc. Just an XT skewer holds my rear wheel very well!