mtbr member

Karate Monkey a la Cross-Check

Hy guys
    My 18" Karate Monkey will be out of duty a little due to the lack of wheels, so I am guessing if I could build her with some road wheels, full geared and drop bars some kind of Cross-Check, of course the use will be just to train on paved roads.
    Rise bars and single speed are also choices I have in mind.
    What do you guys think about?
    As I previously said this setup will be for a limited time till I get new wheel and the mighty KM backs to the woods.
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Any one ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't have one, but drop bar KM's are out there. Just google 'drop bar karate monkey' for some pics & advice. The geo might be a little off, but it works for some. I'm guessing the bigger problem will be the spacing of the rear hub with a set of road wheels - 130 wheel vs 135 frame. I don't know if you can squeeze it down that far without issues - maybe others do and will chime in. Will also need a plan for brakes. Good luck & post pics if this works!

mtbr member
    Thanks Zappa but I had a very hard day and when I was thinking in the possibilities to build the KM my first requirement was use spare parts only and I just realized that I do not have the shifter and brake levers for the drop bar so no DB for me.
    In the other hand I almost sure that I have an Ultegra wheel that fit the rear end of the KM I will check tomorrow and let you know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ran my Monkey as a drop bar bike for a while... I used a 35 degree 90mm stem and the bars still didn't feel right...

Some people can do this comfortably... so I would still give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I ran my Monkey as a drop bar bike for a while... I used a 35 degree 90mm stem and the bars still didn't feel right...

Some people can do this comfortably... so I would still give it a shot.
    Thanks a lot but as I said I do not have the parts I need for the DB to be install and since is not a permanent build I will forgot the whole theme, I will post the end result when I get there

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    as frankzappa said, road hubs are spaced differently (130 vs mtb 135mm), but, you can use a longer axle and try adding spacers on the non-drive side to make it 135mm, then re-dish accordingly

as for brakes, you can use the old reliable V-brakes, since 700c rims are essentially the same diameter as 29er rims, so the V brake post position will still be the same

one potential problem is bottom bracket height; using thinner tires like what you use for road wheels will effectively lower the bb height, raising the potential for pedal strikes if you are not careful
    Last edited by bb1mina; 09-25-2011 at 02:34 AM.
    biker boy