mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Karate Monkey - easier rear wheel removal on new frames?

I'm considering a Karate Monkey as a second off-road bike. A question for those in the know...

In the 2011 QBP catalog listing for the KM it states "Updated rear disc tabs for easier wheel removal". Does anyone know what is updated and how/if it improves rear wheel removal?

I've read posts about possibly needing to unbolt and pivot the rear caliper out of the way to pull the rear wheel. This does not discourage me too much from the KM, but I'm curious if this is still needed with the newest frame models.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbien View Post
    I'm considering a Karate Monkey as a second off-road bike. A question for those in the know...

In the 2011 QBP catalog listing for the KM it states "Updated rear disc tabs for easier wheel removal". Does anyone know what is updated and how/if it improves rear wheel removal?

I've read posts about possibly needing to unbolt and pivot the rear caliper out of the way to pull the rear wheel. This does not discourage me too much from the KM, but I'm curious if this is still needed with the newest frame models.

Thanks,
    I did not need to move the rear caliper even with the old version of KM frame. If you use "wave" discs you can rotate the wheel a bit and the disc can get out. With the new version of the frame you need not to rotate the wheel - so you can use round discs, too

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i have the older version karate monkey with the disc brake tabs located on the seatstays, such that the caliper is towards the back of the rotor

rear wheel removal in bikes with horizontal dropouts like the karate monkey means you pull the wheel backwards (unlike vertical dropouts, you pull the wheel down), so you can just imagine the rotor getting into slight contact with the caliper (not as much as wave rotors, as derberg said) as you slide the wheel backward

for easier removal of the wheel, you usually need to loosen the disc brake caliper so you can wiggle the rotor out of the way

with the newer version, the disc brake tabs are located on the chainstays, making it easier to remove the wheel even if you don't loosen the disc brake caliper, because the caliper is located in front of the rotor
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The newer KM's do NOT have the disc tabs on the chainstays, that's the Troll/Ogre frames. The never KM's have the disc tab holes slotted parallel to the dropout, like so:

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    oh right, i was thinking of the ogre, and the troll as well (had it ordered a few minutes ago for my son, so he can now run gears + disc brakes + surly front/rear racks from his previous 1x1), thanks willapajames for catching that slip

with regard to the new karate monkey, they re-designed the disc tab mount and made it higher, such that the caliper is now positioned higher/ at the top of the rotor (if you look at the complete bike pics from their site, it's a little after the 12 o'clock position, nearer the seatstay), making wheel removal easier bec the caliper is out of the way of the rotor as you pull the wheel backwards, and you don't have to loosen the caliper bolts to get it out of the way of the rotor, then align the brakes again...etc like the older version

it's not a deal breaker though, if you're looking at getting a used older version karate monkey, it's still fairly easy to take off the wheel and re-align the disc calipers, in case you get a flat while at the trails

my last paragraph should read...with incorrect words in parentheses...so sorry for the slip...
    "with the newer version, the disc brake tabs are located A LITTLE HIGHER on the SEAT(chain)stays, making it easier to remove the wheel even if you don't loosen the disc brake caliper, because the caliper is located ON TOP(in front) of the rotor"

thanks again, willapajames, hope this clears things up
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies, I'm following you regarding the new position of the rear disc tabs. It makes sense and seems like an improvement.

mtbr member
    On my 09' KM, I used the monkeynuts (wheel spacers) combo'd with the BB7 roundagons, and I could remove the wheel without moving the caliper. I just had to turn the rotor to a flat spot and it would slide right out.

mtbr member
    As above but with Hope Mono calipers and monkey nuts, dont know what all the fuss is about, as often it is only a few makes of caliper that need removed,

My mark 1 pugs frame is the same but with an Avid BB7 and cookie cutter disc,
    a guy on the fat bike forum is adamant i cant take my wheel off without removing the caliper... even though i have ridden a Mk 1 pug frame for 4 years!
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/