mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Karate Monkey with drop bar

I am thinking about switching to a drop bar and would like to know if those of you that have made the switch enjoy your drops?

Abby Normal
    I ran dirt drops on my KM for awhile. I liked them quite a bit, but was not able to get them high enough to be comfortable for any serious technical riding. I have thought about picking up a Voodoo Nakisi stem (which is super high rise and short reach) and trying some dirt drops again on my KM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Didn't work out for me, top tube too long, head tube too short.

mtbr member
    I think you would likely need to ride a frame that is a size smaller than what you would ideally ride, and get a really tall, short-reach stem. One-One makes some cool dirt drops. look on this forum for Shiggy's posts about dirt drops, he's a believer. there are some threads about "monster cross" bikes that might be helpful. also look around on 63xc.com--The Offroad Fixed Gear Site.

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I think you would likely need to ride a frame that is a size smaller than what you would ideally ride, and get a really tall, short-reach stem. One-One makes some cool dirt drops. look on this forum for Shiggy's posts about dirt drops, he's a believer. there are some threads about "monster cross" bikes that might be helpful. also look around on 63xc.com--The Offroad Fixed Gear Site.
    What he said. I ran the One-One Midge bars (which are now on a gravel grinder) with a Salsa stem. This was a fun setup, but again, reach was a bit too long and the drops were not high enough to be comfortable for extended technical riding (my back would get pretty sore).

Karate Monkey with drop bar-midgemonkey1.jpg

If you have a 'normal' size Monkey, you could try running the Voodoo Nakisi stem - pretty spendy though:

Universal Cycles -- Voodoo Nakisi Dirt Drop Stem

I <3 29ers
    Sorry for the wait - hope it's not too late ...

Fellow MTBR member cousinmosquito has done this and it's worked well for him.

Check out his blog, starting here ... Jeff's Bike Blog: Karate Monkey first impressions

I tried it myself with a KM but it didn't work out because my needs for frame geometry and what I could achieve with the KM sizing would not handle in a way I find tolerable/acceptable.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    Sorry for the wait - hope it's not too late ...

Fellow MTBR member cousinmosquito has done this and it's worked well for him.

Check out his blog, starting here ... Jeff's Bike Blog: Karate Monkey first impressions

I tried it myself with a KM but it didn't work out because my needs for frame geometry and what I could achieve with the KM sizing would not handle in a way I find tolerable/acceptable.
    Theres a lot more recent stuff on this link : )
    Jeff's Bike Blog: karate monkey

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Karate Monkey with drop bar-img_20130319_084744.jpg

Worked well for gravel grinding, but in no way were the road drops wide enough to be able to ride tech dirt. It is a much more fun bike with flat bars.

Karate Monkey with drop bar-img_20130314_125445.jpg