Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Karate Monkey = fun

That's the only word to describe the KM. I just got my frame Saturday, swapped everything over from the old Sir9. I am impressed with the clean welds and workmanship of the frame. It rides well and is just plan fun. I believe I'll have the monkey for quite some time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's awesome!

IXC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just ordered my complete bike today. Got the light sky blue can't wait to see it and better yet ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm sure you will - the simplicity of Surlys is a huge part of their staying power.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member

Karate Monkey = fun

x2. Having so much fun on my KM (w/100mm Reba) that I ditched the much more expensive FS 29er. Shore rides, gravel bikepacker, Chariot hauler, commuter ... name it, this bike delivers.

Ariolimax columbianus
    i've got a rigid ogre, km geared + suspension, and a rigid km ss. they're all fun and cheaper than a custom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I love mine. How does it compare to the Sir?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have had my monkey for almost 5 years. ss and rigid, built up by LBS. I love this bike! it is my only mtb and I ride it all over. last summer i bought a cheap wheelset that I put big apples on and now in less than 5 min I can swap wheels out and cruise with my kids or do street rides. I have been pulling my daugher on a tag along on quite a few excursions and while it is sometimes a challenge with her on to do some hills (34x18) when I say "pedal!" she pedals and we haven't had to walk yet! I go back and forth on my handlebar choice - started out with standard riser bars, then went a couple years on carnegie bars with GP1 ergon grips, and this spring I went back to the riser bars with some new oury grips. I feel a little more agressive, like I am in attack mode, with the riser bars, but I get a little hand fatigue. I love all the things this bike does! I have a pacer that I do road rides on and that is a great ride as well, but if I ever have to go to one bike, it would be the KM without a doubt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Karate Monkey = fun-0517131449a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSlowSSer View Post
    I love mine. How does it compare to the Sir?
    We've be getting nailed with rain, so I haven't gotten to ride much. My Sir was a gen 1. I don't feel I could fairly compare them at this time. I sold the Sir back to the guy I bought it from, with an agreement that I get first dibs if he decides to sell it again. That says something about the Sir. I'll post up a comparison after I get more time on the KM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been searching online for a good place to pickup a KM frameset any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sh00tz View Post
    I've been searching online for a good place to pickup a KM frameset any suggestions?
    Usually, bicycle outfitters indy (Google it) has good sales. You can save 15% by typing in the coupon code on the left side of the screen on their main webpage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Karate Monkey = fun

I got mine for about 400 at universal with 15 percent coupon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I got mine for about 400 at universal with 15 percent coupon.
    Forgot about them. Great company. They have a brick&mortar here, so I usually go through another company to avoid taxes.

mtbr member
    Built from a Salsa Fargo that just rattled me senseless on trails!, This is my 2nd KM after my first red frame Monkey that i sold to fund a Fargo build. Way more happy with the new Monkey with its dropped top tube and more springy frame, its a weapon on singletrack!

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    x2. Having so much fun on my KM (w/100mm Reba) that I ditched the much more expensive FS 29er. Shore rides, gravel bikepacker, Chariot hauler, commuter ... name it, this bike delivers.
    A Monkey with a suspension fork is not a real Monkey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    A Monkey with a suspension fork is not a real Monkey.
    One of the dumbest comments I've read in a while. My KM is rigid, but couldn't care less if someone decides to put on a choppered up 140mm fork up front, or a Pug fork with 4.8" tires, or 1x11 drivetrain. That's the beauty of the Karate Monkey--versatility. The fact that you're dictating how a Monkey should be built is what takes away from the true essence of The Monkey.

mtbr member
    Yep... It is islander`s bike, to do what he wants with it. I had a 100mm fork for a while on my first KM, was perfect for what i was doing at the time with the bike...

What is a real Monkey? what you want it to be, just like any bike you build...
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Damn all of you!....Now I need a Monkey.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuk88 View Post
    Damn all of you!....Now I need a Monkey.
    I'd say a monkey is a good compliment to your trucker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Built from a Salsa Fargo that just rattled me senseless on trails!, This is my 2nd KM after my first red frame Monkey that i sold to fund a Fargo build. Way more happy with the new Monkey with its dropped top tube and more springy frame, its a weapon on singletrack!
    coastkid - didn't check out the vid until now. Nice work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

pavement fun

my favorite bike in urban mode
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Karate Monkey = fun-0714131811b.jpg  

Karate Monkey = fun-0714131811a.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just got one too, man what a good time!
    Karate Monkey = fun-image.jpg

Stock at this point. Rode 3 rides of 20 miles each last week since I got it. Geared slightly to the side of spin on paved, it was perfect on the sidetrack. Even got my first flat, so I had reason to take that back tire off and align the tire script with the stem(yes, I know it is wrong in the pic!) and shorten the chain by one link to get the wheelbase tight. I like it!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have not gotten to ride mine in a month. Today was the first time it hasn't rained in forever. Forgot what the sun looked like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just went on a 20 miler last night. Still love how this bike rides compared to bikes that are 2 to 3 times the cost in my garage. You cannot buy a better bang/buck frame than the KM.

I just wish they would've stuck with canti-brake option on the new models. (I'm old school).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Finally got to ride some single track. I added a Tugnut, which is a great design. This is what a great mountain bike should be. I only wished they added a spot for a third bottle cage under the down tube.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast