mtbr member
    May 2010

Jethro Tule size/length

Hi, can someone tell me how long a Jethro Tule is? I would like to buy one, but don't know if it'll fit in my seatbag. Thanks for the help...

ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Seems to be about 3 inches, though I don't have anything to measure it with. I absolutely love mine, however it is almost useless without a chain tensioner. It is too short to get any real leverage on it, so if you tighten your wheel with a full size wrench you'll have a tough time getting them off with a Tule. If I tighten with just the Tule and no tensioner the driveside of my singlespeed tends to slip forward.

However, with my tensioner on the driveside I can get just enough leverage to tighten it properly and there is never any slippage. It fits well in the my pockets and it opens a beer nicely. I highly suggest one, it beats the hell out of carrying a full-sized wrench.

mtbr member
    You can use it as a wrench?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They're dumb and a waste of money. Mine is sitting in a drawer. You need to use the spoon part as a spot to small your foot on to get proper torque (sans axle tensioner) or to break it free.

They also suck as a beer opener. The little tooth on there is a PITA to get into the groove on the bottle cap. And when you're popping open as many as a Wisconsinite does it really starts to bother you.

mtbr member
    I personally like it as a wrench, although I admit the leverage was lacking. I just used the foot method if it was really jammed.

It is a terrible bottle opener. Virtually unusable.

I replaced it with the Paragon Machine Works wrench:

www.paragonmachineworks.com - 15mmWrench

Way lighter, and a bit longer (but still short enough for a saddlebag). It's a bit less comfortable to use as a wrench, because it lacks the nice 'handle', but it is one of the best bottle openers I've ever used. The narrow width of the wrench can mark nuts if they are a softer steel, but I've used it plenty without any real issues.