I do what I want

Jeff Jones/Surly collaboration 710mm Loop H-Bar

I wonder what bikes Surly will be spec'ing these on?

Full article below...

More and more people are discovering that the Jones Loop H-Bar is very versatile and functional. It is an excellent replacement for either a flat/straight bar or a drop bar.
    Surly Bikes contacted me several months ago asking about the possibility of getting custom Jones H-Bars for some of their bikes. They wanted a Loop H-bar but with a longer grip section and more overall width. We made samples and I have been riding with them for a few months now and I really do like the extra bar length for long rides. This bar will be standard on a few of the new Surly bikes for 2014 and it will be available directly from Jones Bikes (jonesbikes.com) and dealers soon.
    Itís 50mm / 2 inches wider compared to the standard 660mm version.

Great for; Singlespeeds, 29ers, Fat Bikes, Touring, Bike-packing Adventures, City Riding and more!

Read More: http://www.jonesbikes.com/?p=3107&op...#ixzz2anjWoV19

Compatible with; Singlespeeds, Trigger shifters, Gripshift, Shimano twist shifters, Rohloff and above the bar hinged thumb-shifters (not drop bar levers).

Reference pic original bar 660mm vs 710mm bar (thanks to urbanvelo.org)

link to article and ordering info - http://www.jonesbikes.com/?option=co...3107&Itemid=58
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 08-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    They're specing them on the new ECR at least, maybe more.

I do what I want
    I tried the original Loop H-bar felt it was too narrow, may have to order me one of these.

I typically use bar @ 750mm wide
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member

I've used a Loop H bar [bottom] and the Titec H bar [top] on several bikes. I like them for touring as you get lots of places to put your hands for variety and the wide position at the ends of the bars gives me good leverage on a loaded bike [ie. my Big Dummy].

Where I didn't like them was on any steep terrain - especially if it's technical. The wide rearward position is great for control, but you can't brake from back there so you end up with your hands up front on a narrower part of the bar which is not great for steering in that situation.

These longer bars will also need quite a long stem depending where you want your hands to be most of the time.

On my Pugsley I went from the Titec H bars to the Jones Loop H-bar and didn't like it because the Loop-H bar was a bit longer which shortened my TT enough to be uncomfortable. Since I was running a long stem on the Pugs already I couldn't just go longer there so I went back to the Titec H bar.

If you are retrofiting to an existing bike keep the larger dimensions in mind and if you are buying for a new bike you may want to size up the frame.

One benefit of the Loop H-bar that the new Surly Loop bar also has is loads of room for controls behind the cross bar. The Titec H-bar was designed as a SS bar and if you wanted to mount a Rohloff twist shifter behind the cross bar you had to use a really short cut down grip.

I'm glad to see another option in these bars...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Slightly OT, Jones recommends using these grips with his bars:

Universal Cycles -- ESI MTB Extra Chunky Grips

Any of you out there used these before?

I was bummed that Surly shelved the Moloko Bar but in a way it's not necessary now that these are available.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Slightly OT, Jones recommends using these grips with his bars:

Universal Cycles -- ESI MTB Extra Chunky Grips

Any of you out there used these before?

I was bummed that Surly shelved the Moloko Bar but in a way it's not necessary now that these are available.
    Ergon GC1 grips would work well with these bars.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

mtbr member
    I love Egron grips and use them on my Titec/Loop H bars. One issue though is that they lock you into one hand position on the rearward sweep of the bar. If you look at the grips Jeff suggests they allow you to slide your hands around easily to vary the position.

As the rearward portion of the Surly H Bar is so long this becomes more of an issue.

Personally I love the Ergons, but I've chatted with Jeff about them and he isn't stoked about them for use with his bars.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Currently using a Titec J-bar on my Ogre and have been toying with getting the real deal Jones bar.
    This just made the purchase decision harder.
    The Rohloff gripshifter on the short J-bar isnt ideal and I've found a fair bit of numb hand using a stubby sram gripshift grip on the shifter side (R).
    I had sort of decided on the full loop bar with the cork grips Jeff twins them up with.
    This throws another choice into the mix.
    I had been wondering about his Ti bars but decided I'd go for S&S Couplers instead for the money which I think I'd get more value from and knowing I can revisit the bar issue at my leisure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alan ss View Post
    Ergon GC1 grips would work well with these bars.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS
    I've been running Ergons with the Open Bar for a while, probably over a year and in spite of position adjustments they just haven't felt right. I was at the Jones site a while back and saw he recommended the ESI Extra Chunkys.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Guy just had an Ogre complete in at my local shop - looked like it had these new bars on it.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Neat handlebar. I expect to see these specced on the Troll and/or the Ogre in addition to the ECR. Would it be a shock to them one on of the street-oriented bikes? SS Cross Check maybe?
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone know how much shorter the stem needs to be for a comparable reach?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I really, really hope these will be available from Surly distributors outside the USA, not just directly from Jeff Jones, as this would make a lot of things simpler and save Jeff packing up and shipping bars all day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Compared to what? It looks to me like you'd need a longer stem to get your hand position in roughly the same place as a normal riser bar.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You usually need a longer stem to compensate for the backsweep. I had the 660mm version on my Jones, but just couldn't get along with it. Flat and descents were good, as it gave several good hand positions on the flats and you could drop your weight way back for the downhills. However, climbing was a problem for me as it put my hands just too close to me (when standing. I'm on a SS). Really awkward hand position. Jeff suggested putting the hands further up, but that just took away the little leverage I had to work with. So if you singlespeed, these may not be for you. They would be great for a geared, touring set up, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Compared to what? It looks to me like you'd need a longer stem to get your hand position in roughly the same place as a normal riser bar.
    Compared to a normal riser bar. I read somewhere JJ recomends a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I love Egron grips and use them on my Titec/Loop H bars. One issue though is that they lock you into one hand position on the rearward sweep of the bar. If you look at the grips Jeff suggests they allow you to slide your hands around easily to vary the position.

As the rearward portion of the Surly H Bar is so long this becomes more of an issue.

Personally I love the Ergons, but I've chatted with Jeff about them and he isn't stoked about them for use with his bars.
    Ergon has a new grip out that is intended to be used with bars with a lot of sweep for this person.

Check out the Ergon GC1's

Also, regarding stem size, you're going to want a longer stem, as these bars put your hand position much closer to you given the same stem size. Therefore, you need a longer stem to keep from shortening your cockpit.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Ergon has a new grip out that is intended to be used with bars with a lot of sweep for this person.

Check out the Ergon GC1's
    I did check out the GC1's before making that post. They say it corrects the wrist kink of swept bars. I've never had any wrist kink issue with my various H-bars.

What I was talking about is the fact the Ergon Grips give you one ideal position to place your hands. This is great if that's where you want/need to be. On normal bars there isn't that much room anyways so this works fine.

The GC 1's are no different in this respect than the other versions of their grips.

On the longer sweeps of Jeff's designs he likes grips that allow you to move your hand around as you ride which is why he's recommending those Extra Chunky Grips linked to above.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I know this isn't Jeff's style, but IMO H-bars should be sold in multiple widths, similar to drop bars, that all had different sized cross bars. I don't really understand adding width this way as it basically changing two measurements in a overall fit standpoint. I have been using Titecs for a while and love them other than wishing they were a tad wider. I would just snatch up some Jones' but I know I have to make multiple other changes to have them work.

That aside, I'm stoked to see h-bars hitting the "mainstream". They are such a usefully, versatile item and more people need to be exposed. I hope they decide to spec these on the Ogre too.

About time someone made an alt bar in a proper width.

The ticket with these bars is to run a mechanical brake lever with a low profile clamp. Paul is a good choice, as are some older Avid levers. Install grip of choice, including Ergons, and wrap the rest of the extension in bar tape. Max options.

You'll need a longer stem, but not as long as you think. Get the web between your finger and thumb in the same position as your old bars.