Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Devo
    today here in PG/Monterey the wind is CRAZY!
    gusts around 30mph, the ocean is just nothing but white caps.
    the shingles on the house rattle
    the doors clatter back and forth
    the sirens go on and on and on
    trees are probablly falling all over the place
    today's mission, errands, groceries, etc.
    check out the chaos...
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Devo

a shot of optimism...

A shot of optimism today came from the masses at large. Specifically I was so thrilled to have numerous inquiries as to the function of the Pug and the “Car Free Life”. I imagine that the Pug does most of the selling. However i still would like to hold the idea that we (we Americans) are interested in alternative ways of transport. Mostly they would ask what the bike was “for” and when i’d reply it was for riding, doing errands, being dependable, and the core of a “Car Free Life”, their eyes would quickly loose interest, but as soon as I’d dub it as a “Snow Bike”, or “Sand Bike” their zeal would quickly return. A sort of coaxing in effect. that is...to sell them something they already know, in this case a bike, and to offer the notion of the common American obsession with SUV’s, but to quickly reverse the environmental impact in the light of a low impact bicycle, that could actually carry practical items...like...GROCERIES...well...just as mind blowing as the Pug is to the average cyclist, so were the staggering reactions.
    When it comes to a bicycle, its not all that flashy; there isnt anything really that new to report. We have all seen bikes thru out our lives, and to various degrees we have had some sort of interaction/experience with the “Bike Life”.
    While the Pug is locked to the bike rack in front of Trader Joe’s, it gets all sorts of attention. I pretty much figure its the tyres that are the attention getters. How can we comment on that psychoanalysis? I imagine that in the common American’s mind, when it comes to the concept of transportation there is an immediate association with a wheel. Each American on their own wheel is some sort of symbol of Freedom. B.C. Comic had that nailed. Now only if I would learn how to ride one of those Surly Conundrum unicycles, I’d fit the role all that much more. Perhaps that is why trains are not so fashionably sot out, nor the bus. not to have your own wheel is some sort of subconscious slander to the concept of freedom. as my brothers in LA call the city bus, "The Looser Cruiser". bcz that is what it is. if you dont have a car you are a LOOSER. it seems there is some sort of correlation between what is ambiguously viewed as a symbol of success and the size of the wheels we roll on. Now only if the Pug would roll on a set of spinners. lol I have to be conscious to keep an easy breath in these “Public situations” as i know the unfortunate frequency for the comment(s) equating the Pug to a Hummer. where i typically roll my eyes.
    Being a veteran, knowing the M998 HMMWV to be what we called the HumVee, the civilian brand HUMMER, pretty much blows my mind, but in our collective state of Nationalism/Patriotism i am not at all surprised.
    Of course my Pug being powder coated OD Green just begs for the comment. all in all, it screams the oblivious mind we have as to the degree of discipline, skill, and simply just being what it is to soldier, and that of what it is to simply just live a life with the bicycle at core.
    do we all need to be combat vets to ride bikes? of course not. Do we all have to of had or have the experiences of racing bikes, the discipline of sport? Of course not. And of course I have yet to see one single Hummer out there pulling a M102 howitzer. In fact...I have yet to see a Hummer with Air Mobile loops outfitted.
    but all in all...i was amused, pleased, and optimistic from those inquiries of a bike. the basic opportunity to show the masses that you dont have to necessarily drive a car to get the groceries and that a simple life can be healthy, financially liberating, and most of all...that which appeals to most...”It’s so cool!” Look at the tyres!

peace...d

the pics:
    you can see how much space (=money) there is devoted to parking.
    typical bike rack, actually...usually there isnt a bike rack. so this is a luxury.
    how the Pug typically has to be locked.
    and 3 panniers worth of groceries. (not even fully stuffed)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

beach ride today

went for a little spin along the beach today
    for those that dont know...
    when it comes to riding a beach, and there is a slant to the terrain, one of the best methods that i've come to know, is to simply stay as high up the slope as possible. Next thing you know, as you shimmy and slide, you end up next to the water.
    so typically I like to do zig zag pattern. the key is to keep the tyres square to the sand as much as possible. when you get them on edge, they tend to slip and slide, soon your tyre tracks look like something a sidewinder would have left. so i like to be intentional and change direction when I want to, rather than fighting the terrain. its mostly a matter of technique rather than skill or strenght.

anyways...
    enjoy the pics.

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

trucks...

the other day i go out ot run my errands, and decide to take the Xtra, being that i really dont have much of an idea what im about to go buy, but in my mind, i'm thinking that picture frames are a really good probability.
    I get to a hardware store and here is this cammo F250 4x4 crew cab. wow! what a killer truck. the first thing that comes to mind, is that if it wherent painted cammo, it could be sold that much easier. then i look to see what's loaded in the bed...hhmm....tool box, spair wheel.
    then i look at the xtracycle.
    snap a pic...

maybe for the new year, i should buy a car...

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    Oh the monotony…
    Life is so hum drum…
    Blah blah blah blah…blah

Every day is ride the bike…
    Over and over and over…ride, ride, ride, ride, ride
    The tyres go humm….buzzzzz
    The drizzle pitters patters
    I pedal, pedal, pedal…

No shortage of finding time to ride…
    That is, cuz every thing I go do, I ride there to go do…
    Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride…

Today was a bit of rain, I dropped the psi way down, had the panniers loaded up, and when rollin thru the slop.
    All in all, very fun…

What I learned/played with today…
    SLOW rolling descent technique…
    On tiny single track, slippery with roots
    Panniers full
    Psi way down
    Between the roots slippery, sticky, clay
    The technique is to apply both brakes, and pedal at the same time
    Light pressure on the pedals, nice even round pedal strokes.
    Pick a gear with plenty of leverage…
    Moving slow, brake to the point where the front tyre likes to slide...
    Pedal pressure just enough to make the back tyre brake loose…
    Brake the rear wheel enough to keep the tyre rolling, not slipping…
    At the bottom or when you have to clear a ledge…
    Shift your weight more to the rear…dig the rear tyre into the ground…
    Let go of booth brake levers…
    Front wheel lofts.

This is particularly fun, when riding things like deer trails, in the wet, with a bunch of weight, and then going up little 2ft ledges, roots, bogs, etc.
    It’s a game of momentum, and leverage.
    There is something fun about having the front wheel of the Pug in the air, with all the bags loaded, and the rear wheel squishing along its way, mooshing over rocks and branches, looking back and laffing at what you’d never think was possible to ride up, down, thru, or across…
    Last edited by SelfPropelledDevo; 01-05-2007 at 01:28 AM.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

more of the same...

its been more of the same...
    not much new in the routine...
    ride, work, ride, ride, work...shoot some pics

my FAVORITE new piece of gear has got to be those "poggies" aka: handlebar mitts, made by "Moose Mitts".
    i toss a couple of chemical handwarmers in each one, and hands are so happy. lately its been consitently around 45F at night. with poggies, and suitable clothing, i dont even begin to think about getting cold. its an amazing thing.
    and to make matters all that much more cozy, they have velcro to close the ends when you get off the bike, which basically turns the mitts into nice little pouches (or ovens) that collect heat. its DELUXE!

strange as it may be
    its the constant off and on of taking pics and riding the bike that gets the hands cold.
    its the camera time that lets you get cold.
    but with poggies...you can also just wear a set of cutoff gloves
    my fave are a set of DeFeet
    cutoff gloves let you retain the dexterity

for those out there that have never used a set of poggies...
    well...my cycling life has changed
    simply amazing

anyways...heres some new pics.

the first pic is a jellyfish washed up on the beach...
    a buddy said to me, "WHAT IS THAT?!" it looks like silicone!
    lol
    i had a serious laff at that
    perhaps at some point in history this typical scene provided inspiration...
    or well...uhhh....
    ok...
    I'll leave it at that.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo

my FAVORITE new piece of gear has got to be those "poggies" aka: handlebar mitts, made by "Moose Mitts".
    i toss a couple of chemical handwarmers in each one, and hands are so happy. lately its been consitently around 45F at night. with poggies, and suitable clothing, i dont even begin to think about getting cold. its an amazing thing.

First off, I love your posts and your pics! As an Army veteran, I love OD and think everyone should have an OD green bike. But...... I always gotta laugh when I see you with poggies when it's 45 degrees out. That's shorts and sweatshirt weather here in Iowa. So don't take offense, but I always get a good laugh out of it.

Peace... Mojoe in Iowa.... whose Xtracycle is OD green.

Devo
    oh ya!
    im loving poggies
    hot showers
    thermos
    and the intrinsic heat generating feature the Pug produces.

and hey Mojoe...no offense taken...it is pretty damn funny i'm all into poggies

i havent even seen frost yet!
    how crazy is that?

lol

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

coast line

coast line...

grocery store...
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

hopeless bike-aholic

Hi my name is Devian...
    and...
    I'm a bike-aholic...

so we all know this already
    well, today i decide to open up my storage space, what i call "the Malkovich"
    an lookie what i dun drug out.

1994 Colnago Bititan complete with proper vintage Campy Record groupo and Shamals.

Suddenly the Pug is sharin space with road bikes

the other is a Fondriest with record, and a set of Zipp 404's

for the last week, i've been on my Salsa Moto Rapido
    and let me tell you what a stupid freaking fast bike that thing is.
    SID, crossmax, blah blah blah...
    that bike is crazy fast
    almost stupid light too
    but i guess it holds up

so here i am...
    livin in my loft, sleepin with my bikes and all the junk a junkie could dream of

a Litespeed with SID that is going on eBay
    and probably a Bianchi DISS that i've still got in the Malkovich to eBay too

bike-aholic

peace....d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

yard sale

this is the line up

Colnago Bititan (on Ebay)
    Fondriest
    2 Bianchi DISS
    (one is a 19inch frame...going on ebay)
    Salsa Moto Rapido
    XtraCycle convert
    and of course

The Pug
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member

Nice

Wow...when I saw you post a pic of that Colnago, my first thought was "what a gorgeous bike, I wonder if he would sell it?". Very, very nice, something about a classic road bike. A bit out of my budget right now unfortunately.

Btw, I hope you don't mind, but I copied the build on your Xtracycle; Cannondale frame with Speedcitys and large discs. I love that bike! Here's a pic of it loaded up with groceries.

Cheers

Kavurider
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Devo
    Hey Kavurider

thanks for compliment on the Colnago.
    i think i would sell it, but im not really sure.
    if someone actually bids on it...
    i'll start to trip out...
    maybe i'd just cancel the auction
    or maybe i'd let it go
    i could just keep it for another 10yrs, etc, blah blah blah

Cdale Xtracycle converts.
    those are great bikes for sure.
    I bought the MP3 program (crash insurence) for the Speedcities
    i like the notion that Mavic is so confident in the quality of their product that they offer this program.
    I use my Xtra all the time.
    I especially like going to the store and buying a bunch of stuff, big stuff, and have people realize that I'm riding a bike and they ask, "how are you going to get all this on a bike?" i think its funny.
    you know...things like a case of soda
    huge jugs of laundry detergent

or like the other day i went and picked up a dining table.

Xtras are super cool.
    I sure wish for the Big Dummy

i dont mind that you built your Cdale similar to the convert job i did.
    its great
    i think there should be more production bikes spec'd with 700c wheels.
    i believe that i read a set of 1.9 29er tyres will fit on a set of Speedcity's
    with that said...
    they are super versitle
    the possibilites go on and on

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    I get the same reaction with the Xtracycle. In one night, I bought dress pants for work, then stopped at the store and bought a big jug of detergent, two gallons of water and groceries and the Xtra handled it no problem. Its a great tool for sure.
    The Speedcity's are tough wheels, I had them on a Kona Sutra that was totalled when I got hit by a truck. They were still true and I ended up selling them. So I'm not too worried about them on the Xtra. Plus, they're light, roll fast and look cool!
    I recently bought a 29'er and I'm probably going to put those 1.8 tires you are talking about on it (its my commuter bike currently). Bontrager, WTB and IRC make good, strong, cheap cross tires in that size.

Cheers!
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Devo
    for everyone out there:
    for sale stuff
    http://web.mac.com/asanacycles/iWeb/...or%20Sale.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the Sutra....
    another fav bike of mine
    i have a hard time not buying it!

right now im thinking of either buying a BOB trailer for my brother(s) or an Xtracycle
    my brothers live in Los Angeles, right close to Hollywood, and they dont own cars
    i sent a Trek Liquid last year and its been lasting them...
    there are a ton of bikes down there too...
    their bike pile is totally crazy...mostly just a bunch of cheapie bikes...destroyed
    and some old nice bikes too....destroyed of course
    the boys are super hard on bikes
    but as they get older they are calming down
    im 38, and my brothers are 32, 30, 28
    bikes abound...you name it...BMX, Freestyle, Lowriders, Cruisers, MTB's, commuters, etc...the list is crazy

anyways...they are finally at a point where they are getting tired of life with a messanger bag, and making all those million tiny trips.
    Plus they are now needing to take on more household responsibilities, as the whole family lives together...so of course that means...groceries,etc. LIFE

the BOB is an easy quick fix
    order it...and have it sent to LA

the Xtra is a bit of a different story
    its more money
    and i'd have to have the whole kit sent to the closest bike shop
    you'd think that they'd be able to put stuff together, etc...
    but...my brothers have their issues :-/

i use to dream about opening a bike shop/cultural center
    that is...
    a bike place of common ground that is about freedom of transport
    how a bike can be exactly that
    not just Sport...
    but Transport
    and have my brothers working there, showing them a healthy viable lifestyle
    but...
    its Los Angeles...its Hollywood...and they have their influences
    that alone, they cant seem to break
    especially since so many people live that life

maybe one day

Xtra's are definately a lifestyle revolution.
    its all that, which they say
    ------------------------------------------------------------

this is my ebay stuff
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZasanacyclesQQhtZ-1

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    The Sutra is (was) an awesome bike. Steel frame, but not heavy, tons of braze ons and rack mounts. Adjustable dropouts. You name it. I even converted mine to a singlespeed and rode it on the trails here for a little while. So many options.
    That's cool that your brothers are into riding. No one in my family is but I found a good group of local riders, so I'm stoked.
    The Xtracycle sure does change your perception of bikes. I've never really seen them as toys but the Xtra is really a work horse. I'm constantly amazed by how much I can haul in it. I love my other bikes too (DH bike, FR bike, 29'er, trainer bike and now a roadie is on the way). Its great using them for fun AND utility.

They have a bike co-op center in NY that does something similar to what you are proposing. I forget what its called.
    Great posts man, love reading them!

ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=SelfPropelledDevo]this is the line up

Colnago Bititan (on Ebay)
    Fondriest
    2 Bianchi DISS
    (one is a 19inch frame...going on ebay)
    Salsa Moto Rapido
    XtraCycle convert
    and of course

The Pug[/QUOTE

Please don't sell the colnago ! Please ...

Devo
    doubt that I'll part the Colnago
    its nice to see how people like the bike
    its getting pretty rare these days...
    much less to find one with proper vintage groupo and wheels.

somehow in the back of my mind i keep seeing this bike with me...
    i think its one of those bikes, that one day when its 20yrs old, it could be on display at a bike rally of sorts, and to ride it!

thanks for the feedback

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

yuppie? me? maybe...

ok...
    so today i had to run some errands
    go up to work
    attend a meeting
    feed back, blah, blah, blah

its another day on the bike
    today is an Xtracycle day, as a substantial grocery run was on the "to do" list
    the Xtra is too long to fit into the bike lockers that i regularly lock my bike(s) in, so i resort to using the bike rack.
    im not a big fan of this bike rack.
    its just a rack in the parking garage that is sitting in a parking space.
    its in public space to boot
    so really the bike is not all that secure
    well...
    i guess its actually VERY secure, being that its right under a survelliance cam and less than 50ft from the Security office.
    but you get my drift...its just the idea that its in the open...

so i get to work roll into the garage
    get to the bike rack...
    and what do i find?
    uhhh??
    what the....?
    a Vanilla single speed road bike?!
    so there it is...
    the Cdale Xtra convert cabled to the movable bike rack
    along side this super pimp Vanilla road bike single speed
    and it dawns on me...
    as i look around...
    Porsches, a new Corvette, etc...
    uhhh....dude....uhhh...i think you might be a yuppie

huh?
    me?
    a yuppie?
    uhhh....ya....look at the pic of all those bikes...
    right...
    me...
    yuppie?
    maybe a pseudo-hippy-hobo-yuppie on a bike...wonderin how i fit in this weird culture of mixed affluency

as one of the members of the professional staff said to me one day, "you are the only adult i know that willingly chooses to not have a car."

that pretty much sealed it for me
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Spooooon!
    Dude, sell those bikes! Possessions can be a prison if you let them take hold. Simplicity in everything is the way to go . . . but one extra road bike could't really hurt anyone, so keep the Colnago if you are torn.

Check out the bamboo trailer if you are looking for a cheap and versatile transport option.http://www.carryfreedom.com/bamboo.html

mtbr member
    I don't know if I agree with that.
    For years I wanted a certain DH bike frame. I looked and scrounged and waited patiently - I finally found it.
    Well, I came upon some hard times and sold it - to this day, I still regret it. I loved that bike so much. True, possessions can hold us prisoner, but they can also be seen as faithful companions, who are always there to cheer you up. That's how I see my bikes.

If you have an emotional connection to the Colnago - don't sell it if you don't have to.

mtbr member

Don't sell the Colnago!

Thats one of the nicest road bikes I have ever seen. You will regret letting it go.

ps. I think Surly should put twin downtubes on the Pugsley. Stop that wide bottom bracket from swinging around.

Devo
    i think its just a matter of time b4 i get rid of all that stuff.
    for the most part that part of cycling that the bikes themselves represent is long over for me
    i dont ride my SS bikes much anymore
    the road bikes just sit
    and in fact...even my Salsa sits a fair amount.

basically all of that stuff is a by product of an evolution
    that is...
    an evolution in self sufficiency and ability.
    even an exploration into the various realms of social cycling, racing, etc
    an exploration in psyche
    and/or a spin off from military primary conditioning...
    i.e. did i really need to race 24hr solo?

now days, my cycling is on the daily, as i dont own a car, and the bike has become a necessity. not so much of a recreation. and to top it all off, i keep assesing my situation, and keep thinking of taking time away from this typical life of a "townie".
    that is...
    i often think of being on the ramble...
    for an extended period of time.
    a few years...
    in that light...
    the bike is my prime mover
    and the morph/evolution in process will ultimately come down to 1 single bike.
    a bike that can carry what i care to portage
    and of course...
    its my own process that evolves to that point...
    that is...
    the minimalist approach?
    do i need a Big Dummy?
    a HT with panniers?
    or add a BOB trailer to any of the combo?
    how about a modular approach?
    that is...
    modality adustable to specific occasions?
    ohh...wait...
    that is what i have now (dont forget the pile-o-bikes)
    and the bike-aholic mind twists (i want a big dummy)

so you see...
    the pile-o-bikes are not only just a pile of bikes
    but a representative time line of process
    which ultimately must go too

that is...
    unless i let go of those hobo notions
    keep my job
    embrace the "townie" life that much more

a kunundrum for sure...

peace...d
    Last edited by SelfPropelledDevo; 01-27-2007 at 08:25 PM.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What was your military experience, if you don't mind sharing it?

Larry

mtbr member
    i think its just a matter of time b4 i get rid of all that stuff.
    for the most part that part of cycling that the bikes themselves represent is long over for me

basically all of that stuff is a by product of an evolution
    that is...
    an evolution in self sufficiency and ability.
    even an exploration into the various realms of social cycling, racing, etc
    an exploration in psyche
    and/or a spin off from military primary conditioning...
    i.e. did i really need to race 24hr solo?

so you see...
    the pile-o-bikes are not only just a pile of bikes
    but a representative time line of process
    which ultimately must go too

peace...d
    Great post! You hit the nail on the head.

Ride on...
    Mojoe

Devo

Ft. Ord

I was stationed at Ft. Ord 87-91'
    i was in a cohort light artillery air assualt unit
    I went to Jungle school at Ft. Sherman, Panama
    Operation Just Cause
    PLDC
    and Combat leadership developement course
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im 1/2 filipino and 1/2 white
    my dad (white) went thru ait on ord
    both my grandfathers went thru ord at some point
    my filipino gradfather's old baracks were just downt the street from DIVARTY (division artillery) and now the site is a frisbe golf course.

my filipino grandfather was a comando fighting back in the Philipines during WWII
    my parents met at Ft. McClellan when my dad was out processing from vietnam. at the time my mom was stationed there. in dec of 68 i was born in Fresno.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    as a child i was conditioned by a military dicotomy
    my dad...typical hippie, drugs, etc...
    i grew up with violence
    imagine a white hippie with long blonde hair, married to a filipino girl, living in Fresno 1969, post-vietnam, with PTSD.
    and of course my filipino side of the family is very loyal, patriotic, and serving.
    my own dad's father, being of the time of the depression, is/was very conservative.
    he'd say things like..."no wonder we lost vietnam, bcz you all were stoned all the time."
    and my dad would say things like..."in WWII war was different. it was fought from trenches, and mostly at a distance. Vietnam was up close."

as a kid, my room, my clothes, and the way i spoke to my elders, the way i went in an out of buildings was a mix of asain and military custom.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i never realized this until the day in basic training we where taught how to fold socks, and make our bunks.
    i had never done anything otherwise in my whole life...
    until i got out of the Army.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my military experience?
    its all that...
    its the living in a van with my dad on Rincon in Ventura,and up in the hills of Ventura, watching him smoke pot and hang out with all the HA (hells angels)
    its the pride and loyalty influence of my filipino family
    its my own inner programming that puts Duty above anything else
    its my commitment to community
    its going to Panama and firing a howitzer directly at a building full of "snipers"
    (later of which i believe to have learned was a military school) = this mission was in Rio Halto
    my experience is today working with vets and having the frustration of civilian life in common.
    the experience is being happy, being content in the moments when it really counts what you are doing. that i why i tend the ICU at work, thats why i'd ride off into the boonies on my own....
    its all of that...and more
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the attached pic is what is visibly left of my old unit
    its on the end of our old motor pool
    everything disolves
    everything is expendible
    as for my bikes...
    well...its just stuff

peace.....D
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for your story. I've always had tremendous respect for the military although I never served.

Larry

Devo
    Im a mega consumer.

looking foward to the next build, I'm pretty sure it will be the Big Dummy
    check out the latest of Surly blog posts.
    http://www.surlybikes.com/surlyblog.html

for me...hopefully the Big Dummy will pan out to be something that will fit into my life(style)
    anticipating said change...
    the Cdale/Xtra convert i will probably send to my brothers in LA
    both single speeds will probably leave the stable
    as well as the Salsa (there is a good prbability)

perhaps i should order one of those KM's (frame and fork) from Speedgoat
    swap parts from the Salsa, and add the Oldman Mountain 700c racks, along with a swap of SpeedCity wheelset from the Xtra convert.

how many bikes do i need again?
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    well it looks like some eBay stuff is movin
    that is good
    i need to get rid of stuff
    on that note
    I've been kind of inspired to ride my SS
    34x16t with a cut down flat bar is work!
    lol
    and fast
    fast up hill
    well...
    faster than what im use to
    i forget how much i dig the SS
    and how it gives the rider instant feed back.
    of course no gears
    so the "gears" are in your legs
    in your form
    change in stroke
    maybe a spin if you are lucky
    start to bog down and try to use more of your calve muscles
    make sure to always remember to pull up
    and finally STAND
    stand and climb
    running on the pedals
    when the terrain gets real steep
    well...
    you have to just try to attack the climb
    basically a short sprint
    or...
    WALK
    lol
    today was just a run around town then to work...
    but i still have to make note...
    wow...
    that DISS is a sweet ride
    no wonder i ended up with 2 of them

im spoiled
    im a yuppie
    im a mega consumer
    im conflicted
    hippie?
    yuppie?
    counter culture?
    hobo?
    no, no, no...
    dude...

you know you've got it good when the biggest decesion of the day is...
    "what bike am i gonna ride today?"

peace....d

oh!
    wait...
    what the heck is this
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070129/...robotic_garage
    robotic parking?
    cars not bikes?
    if this dont say it all...
    i dont know
    all this energy and money devoted to...?
    parking cars?!
    that has to take the cake
    where are the bike racks?
    where are the bike lockers?
    where are the showers at work?
    geez...
    robotic parking garages...wow!
    obesity is that much more on the rise
    now what?
    people dont have to walk from their parking spaces?

maybe Segway should go in biz with auto mfgs.
    just click your segway into positon...drive your car away...
    come to a stop...
    drive your segway out of your car
    and let the automated self parking car park itself in the robotic parking garage

wow!
    what is next?
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    rummor is...
    Big Dummy is avail next month!
    whoa!
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    rummor is...
    Big Dummy is avail next month!
    whoa!
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    Bike life continues to trip me out.
    Lately its been the stuff I pick up off the side of the HWY.
    A cheapie digital camera
    And today was a carhart beanie
    A BMW R1200GS Adventure motored by…
    Thoughts of motorized transpo float thru my head…
    How ironic, how wrong is it that I entertain these notions simply to be able to go backpacking…
    I found myself looking at a 1998 Carrolla wagon for $2k that was listed on Craigslist
    Hmmm…a beater…
    to load my backpack, and go off into the Ventana?
    Its just too weird to necessitate buying a vehicle to go backpacking…
    It makes me think that this whole construct we’ve created it just backwards…
    How terrible that so much of our lives are car based activities…its pathetic

As I make my daily commute up the HWY, the cars pass by, and I think to myself…
    Why a hospital is ontop of one of the highest points in the area?
    How much fuel is needlessly used to move 1 person at a time up the hill in their cars…
    Most of the cars only have 1 person in it.
    Its just too weird…

As my $ stacks up more and more, I find myself looking at motorbikes and cars
    The BMW R1200GS Adventure
    Honda CBR1000RR
    Honda Fit
    The list goes on and on
    In the end of course these things are subject to disintegration
    They too will rust, rot and fade away…
    Of what value is there in these things?
    To work, and save to only let those efforts fade away gal per gal, mile per mile, day to day…as they’d rust, and fade…
    All the while I’d work and for what?
    To pay the gas?
    Pay the insurance?
    And for social recognition?
    “What would you roll?” is what I often see or hear
    “would you roll a Fit?” “what is a fit?”
    Blah blah blah…

Now I hear that a person needs a passport to go to Mexico and/or Canada…
    Hmm…
    The other day someone tells me that their house is assessed every other year…
    Now they are working to pay for the equity…
    What is that saying?
    There are two things you can count on…
    Death and taxes.
    Are our freedoms slowly dwindling away?

Can I even be a hobo?
    Or is it against the law to be a vagrant?
    Can I just ramble thru the Ventana for as long as I’d wish?
    What would the IRS say to “no job” and my $ stashed in the bank?
    Do I have to have a residence?
    Cant I just give all this up?
    What if I decided to not pay this cost of freedom?
    After all…I already did my service in the Army

Well…it seems that our lives are becoming more and more accounted for.
    Advertising the most effective means of controlling people
    Telling us what to do…
    Carry a cell phone with a 911 chip
    Google Earth to virtually ramble the globe
    Log on to your inter net provider
    Check the mail
    Basically a method of “bed checks”
    And of course go vote
    A job to report to every day
    Taxes that take a bigger and bigger bite
    Estates fade away to new banks, paying those final heath care costs…
    Meanwhile, we send more and more jobs overseas…
    Domestic jobs that grow are the penal system and health care
    We don’t have a product to yield a harvest anymore
    Now we harvest from each other
    Behavior out of the construct of societal progress is a no no
    Its best to find a career work your days away…commit to a house, your estate
    That of course which you only would shortly actually own, if lucky
    The bank keeps the note…
    The employer keeps you…
    An advanced form of husbandry for sure…
    The bondage of a social system
    If a person isn’t too careful
    Their activities could quickly be deemed as illicit
    Their fates succumb to the penal system…

Either way…a societal bondage
    I like to think that the bike gives us a bit of personal freedom...
    a chance to break those bonds.
    even if it is delusional.

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Another great post! Ever read Walden?? http://thoreau.eserver.org/walden00.html

Jeff Potter, from Out Your Backdoor http://www.outyourbackdoor.com says:

Right, and Americans go for the totally filtered, mediated,
    controlled, diluted, warped stuff instead of the unmediated
    liberation stuff. I mean, on bike/canoe/foot/XCski you can actually
    in fact be more yourself. There is less of someone else's
    idea/cashflow being inserted between you and your act. It's an
    objective difference. Americans prefer to be "kept," in other words.
    It's a voluntary and large amount of slavery. It fits with Marx's
    "self stupefaction" as a potential force that could derail history.
    Basically, I think we can't look ourselves in the mirror because of
    what we do so we put on masks that we buy...far more so than any
    other culture probably. (I wonder if any other of the top 10 all-time
    minds worked so hard at understanding the forces affecting
    stupefaction as Marx.)

Mojoe

Devo
    thoreau, huxley, buddhism, some hinduism
    basically "perennial philosophy"
    is what i was raised on while living with my dad on the ramble in Ventura and Ojai

then again 3yrs ago as i lived out of doors for a year and a half
    on the ramble thru the Ventana, Big Sur, etc
    but the difference was myself being solo
    with the military behind me
    and 2 marriages
    a job that let me decrease down to 5 days in a row, with 9 days off

"in my mind i still need a place to go"---Neil Young

out of doors grew to be lonely so i decided to return...
    as if an Indian returning to the shelter of the missions...
    to choose to work for my bread
    instead of picking up acorns from the ground
    choosing to pay for my designated sleeping quarters
    instead of laying down where i happened to be
    choosing to be with the PEOPLE.
    the people...
    this is where the people are.
    but...
    this is not where humanity is

the girls typically get a laugh off of me
    we flirt
    they ask how much $ i save
    i tell them 2/3'rds my take home
    they ask when i'll buy a car
    the response is blank
    and i'm told im "counter culture"
    I'm unique...
    often i'm asked..."where do you come up with this stuff?"
    i tell them...
    High School
    ???
    its Thoreau...from my HS education

mostly we go to work and volutarily relinquish our civil liberties...
    we consent and sign away our rights...
    to the extent that our breaks are just about gone
    meal periods are counted to the minute
    our freedome of speech is censored
    and God forbid you access freedom of information

what is this we are turning into?
    at 30% of my pay how much am i willing to pay?
    meanwhile so many are over extened, in debt that they cant afford to quit their jobs
    or even choose otherwise
    their daily lives so busy
    that they must sleep to the clock
    and every moment b4 and after their jobs is filled with domestic duties
    therefore...
    once at work...
    its their moment of reprieve from the grind..
    but...
    in this job...
    a person should be fully present, and giving it their all
    that is until the situation is completely at hand
    instead they muck around
    and work life is a by product of procrastinations
    which inevetibly impacts/contributes to human suffering

i think the culture is so overwhelmed and so far removed from freedom
    work ethic
    the ability to think
    well...the ablity to think, outside the thoughts of what to buy next
    or what vacation to go on next.
    i think the culture is looking for freedom, but they dont know what that is anymore
    including myself.

adverstising and positive reinforcement are the most effective means of control
    its on TV i want it
    it feels good, i want it
    cars and obesity
    thats an easy example

our culture, and humanity i believe to be innocent
    this is all the product of industry...
    we have worked so hard to create this
    but at this point...
    to me... it feels like self mutilation
    i still dont get it
    why does it take a husband and wife to work so many hours a year?
    and the kids are constantly needing family time
    the car constantly needs to be washed
    the bills stack up
    laundry
    trash
    dishes
    the dog?
    groceries...
    ahhhh!
    the list never ends

i'll stop there....
    i can rant for pages and pages

peace....d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    FYI

check out some of the funky old school cartoons i posted from Vintage Tooncasts.

"Stop driving us crazy"
    "Destination Earth"
    and
    "Man of Action"

all posted on my website...
    kind of cool

peace.......d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    global warming?

uhh...

today is about 80F

holly smokes!

what is that?
    www.AsanaCycles.com

tl1
    Bicyclist

Enjoy it while it lasts

We're around 80 degrees cooler in Southern Michigan.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...cast?query=ptk

Devo

campy hubs fs

here is a set of campy 8spd record hubs for sale
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-8spd-...QQcmdZViewItem

a little vid about them
    http://web.mac.com/asanacycles/iWeb/...%20Hubset.html

more stuff going...

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    cross post @ Hit-and-run victim Daniel Vasquez

howdy all:

as you may or may not know
    there has been another bicyclist fatality here in Monterey.
    http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...l/16686839.htm

while we battle over trail usage(s), and train for up coming races
    focus on personal goals, etc.
    keep this guy and his family in mind.

maybe think about how bikes fit into our culture
    maybe think about how we would like to see the bike in our community, how we'd like to see our society evolve.

its a tragedy, its sad, and it blows my mind how these kinds of things happen.

these days there are about 40,000 less cars than people in the USA.
    there are about 3 times the amount of registered vehicles compared to licensed drivers.
    last i knew there are about 44,000 fatalities in cars per year.
    i had also read somewhere that bicyclist fatalities have gone up 25% in the last 3yrs.

as we all have experienced, the bicycle is a liberating machine.
    its a healthy lifestyle
    im asking for us to stop and take a moment, and think about how we can get away from the car.
    commute to work
    get groceries, or whatever
    you dont have to drive your car to ride your bike
    when that is the case there is something that needs to be addressed in our society

go the Herald website listed above, check out the article and maybe make a post.
    we cannot continue to run each other over with our cars.

just in the last few months a memorial was held for another Monterey cyclist that was fatally injured on the bike path from Seaside to Marina along HWY1 and the Ft. Ord Beach Range Rd.

as cyclists, if we can generate the revenue the cycling industry has enjoyed from each and everyone of us, we should at least devote some energy to public safety.
    bikes can make a big change in our society
    obesity
    heart disease*
    environmental issues
    etc.

its sad to see yet another cyclist killed by a car

and if we start to think/accept cycling as only a recreation sport, next thing we know, we will be only allowed to ride at approved venues.**
    perhaps an annual license to ride in a particular area, much like boat registration or a fishing license
    and/or bikes would be banned from public streets.

the scope of cycling has many fronts
    i feel, i believe that the right to safe passage on public roads, and to set an example, teach a way, of simple living that is rich in lifestyle is fundamental.

of all things in our society...
    what is more efficient?
    the way we live our lives is our greatest statement.

my heart goes out to Daniel Vasquez and family.

peace...d

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." H.G. Wells
    http://web.mac.com/asanacycles/iWeb/...s/Welcome.html
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Vehicle Code

Godspeed to Daniel Vasquez and all who knew him.

"Driving is a privilege and not a right!" were the very first words out of my driver ed teacher's mouth way too many years ago. Yet how many licenses are revoked permanently for serial transgressions against the vehicle code? Not too many: I personally know people with multiple at-fault accidents (including with injury) and others with several DUIs- including felony DUI- who've retained their driver's license. Something is dreadfully wrong there somewhere!

Increasingly, driving is viewed as a de facto right, an entitlement, and not a privilege.

mtbr member
    That's the name of the game today: entitlement.

My condolences to the family for losing a loved one - I cringe whenever I hear of a cyclist going down.

Stay safe out there everyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A real tragedy. Innocent life wiped away.

Larry

Devo
    David Bowie I'm Afraid of Americans Lyrics
    Ah-ah-ah-ah ah-ah ah-ah-ah
    Johnny's in America
    Low techs at the wheel
    Nobody needs anyone
    They don't even just pretend
    Johnny's in America

I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't help it
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans

Johnny's in America
    Johnny wants a brain
    Johnny wants to suck on a Coke
    Johnny wants a woman
    Johnny wants to think of a joke
    Johnny's in America

I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans

Johnny's in America
    Johnny looks up at the stars
    Johnny combs his hair
    And Johnny wants ***** and cars

Johnny's in America, Ah-ah-ah-ah ah-ah ah-ah-ah
    Johnny's in America, Ah-ah-ah-ah ah-ah ah-ah-ah

I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans

God is an American
    God is an American

I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the world
    I'm afraid I can't

Yeah, I'm afraid of Americans
    I'm afraid of the words
    I'm afraid I can't
    I'm afraid of Americans

Johnny's an American
    Johnny's an American

Johnny's an American, Ah-ah-ah-ah ah-ah ah-ah-ah
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    > ....and where was it that long time vet Wayne Sewell
    > was struck and killed?
    > On a remote road, out in Ft Ord (no longer remote,
    > but still was, then).
    >
    > We risk everything every time we ride our bikes on
    > roads with simple
    > minded, easily distracted, angry people driving
    > vehicles. Not much you can
    > do. It is all about the odds and keeping your
    > survival instincts on all the
    > time. I will ride until it becomes physically too
    > difficult as a result of
    > old age or I die. In the interim I will do my little
    > bit to improve
    > conditions for cyclist. So be it.>
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    why does it come down to this?
    where is the civility?
    where is the morality?
    where is the humanity?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    i was 11yo when i met my first lawyer, as my parents were going thru a divorce.
    Dale Givner, "there is no such thing as Justice. Just Chance."
    i think i concur with the statement that the masses are simpy a sum of individuals.
    individuals with their own concerns, daily life.
    as a society we are fragmented.
    I'm not accoustomed to that.
    i still have that naivete
    where i envision people having a say in how our culture/society evolves.
    i still think that our voices are heard when we go vote.
    that at anytime we can get together and speak up.
    evidently we cant simply send email
    and the subject is too obscure
    not even applicable to our society.
    a toppled stop sign warrants/has more grounds to be addressed than the obscure concept of "Overt Car Dependency"
    check this out:
    http://www.tcd.ie/ERC/pastprojects/c...ort%20Rich.pdf
    as we all have our own priorities in life
    bicycle safety and a conscious shift from our Pop Amerikana love affair with the car is too far away, we cant afford to ride to work, we simply dont have the time, we live too far away, and how would the kids get to school.
    long gone are the days when kids played in the streets, rode their bikes all over town.
    now we have Kids Cab, drive to soccer practice, drive to irish step dancing, drive here and there. Kids know "Starbuck lingo" as they order from the drive-thru.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    i can hear my dad's voice as a kid when he taught me about gears, mechanical efficiency, and how the bike can be a huge thing.
    "Only in the United States are bikes considered toys."
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    the bicycle is thriving in a department with volleyballs, lawn darts, hockey sticks, and water wings. as we grow into adulthood, bikes are sold in "bicycle boutiques".
    in those days, it was a Schwinn 10speed that i learned how to ride away from daily madness everyone else engaged in. even then...i wondered why more people just dont choose a simpler life. why pay so much for a car, the gas, etc.
    i was 14 when i had first saved up $500 for a new moped. Worked with my grandfather painting houses. One day my buddy David, 13yo, bet me $5 that he could beat me and my moped from his house to the liqour store on his new BMX bike that he had bought with his paper route money. I histarically laffed at my stupidity to work so much for that thing. then when we decided to take turns time trialing around the block switching between moped and bike, it was obvious that in the last few months i had "lost my game". David was much faster than i on the bike, and the skill to "drive" moped was negligible.

however...it allow me to go wash dishes til midnight at a local restuarant. pay taxes on my $3.35/hr, pay for registration, buy gas, and the girls did respond to a ride on the moped to one of Ventura's beaches, where we'd inevitably fool around, making like grown ups, aspiring to our own residence where we too could raise a family, watch tv, drive cars, etc....

the innocence and naivete of the bike was lost in a mix of 2 stroke oil, money and junior high hormones.
    its sad to see us running around so frantically every day. bound to our cars, such to the extent that bikes are viewed as they are.
    a paradigm shift will never occur.
    we have fallen in love with our captures.
    the car holds us hostage.
    media mentions what make of car struck a bicyclist
    never do they mention the make of bike
    and how is any of that even relevent?
    cars are too dangerous
    everyday i look around at my fellow neighbors, and the reality is sinking in more and more...
    that is...
    very few people could actually ride a bike.
    the phrases "its as simple as riding a bicycle", "its like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget."
    we have evolved too far from those OLD phrases.
    today i'm left staring at the ground
    what else can we say?
    its just sad.
    this is our collective decision
    gas will always be subsidized
    they boys will always grow up wanting a muscle car
    the girls will ooggle those achievements
    while we we enslave ourselves to a torment that destroys our environment.
    man is far from enlightened
    --------------------------------------------------------
    and i have a difficult time going with the flow
    just bcz everyone else does it...
    does it make it right?
    i dont have to do it.
    i'll make my say, even if it is of no avail
    -------------------------------------------------------
    cars-r-coffins
    ------------------------------------------------------

peace....d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    this is crazy cool!
    http://www.tcd.ie/ERC/pastprojects/c...ort%20Rich.pdf

The Transport Rich and the Transport Poor:
    Car dependency and social class in four European cities
    James Wickham
    Maria Lohan
    Employment Research Centre
    Department of Sociology
    Trinity College Dublin
    Paper for conference
    ‘Urbanism and Suburbanism at the End of the Century’
    Friday, November 26th and Saturday, November 27th, 1999
    National University of Ireland, Maynooth
    1. Introduction
    Today Dublin's transport crisis is hardly news: the growing traffic jams and the
    lengthening commuting times, are, with the childcare crisis and spiralling house
    prices, the most obvious elements of the downside of Ireland’s economic boom. Yet
    one curious aspect of the transport crisis is that it is assumed to affect all Dubliners
    equally. Transport and traffic become a technical issue for both transport engineers
    and all of us as amateur road planners, and the relationship between transport and
    social structure becomes occluded. In this paper by contrast we shall argue that
    transport is related to social inequality. We shall do this by putting Dublin in first its
    global and then its European context, using material from our research project
    SceneSusTech ('Scenarios for a sustainable society: car transport systems and the
    sociology of embedded technologies').
    The paper begins by outlining how car dependency is interwoven with two aspects of
    social structure, anomie and social exclusion. This will involve separating two terms,
    social inclusion and social cohesion, that are often treated as identical.
    The next section of the paper outlines the research project SceneSusTech, a
    comparative study of the ‘car system’ in four European cities: Athens, Bologna,
    Dublin and Helsinki. It summarises the first stage of the project which argued that
    while Athens and Dublin can be taken as ‘worst case’ cities in terms of car
    dependency, Bologna and in particular Helsinki represent ‘best practice’ in terms of
    transport policy.
    The main part of the paper moves from comparing entire cities to comparing different
    areas within the four cities. It shows that extremes of car dependency can exacerbate
    social exclusion and that this is exemplified by the experience of Dublin's suburban
    working class areas.
    2. Cars, anomie and social exclusion
    Our argument is derived from the social shaping of technology tradition. Much work
    here has concentrated on the design of the car itself. Yet once a technology is fixed in
    a determinate product which is sold - perhaps in large numbers - as a discrete
    commodity, then the technology itself becomes a ‘black box’. A whole system of
    transport, marketing, distribution and sales is used to sell the product anywhere in the
    globe. The process of commodification is therefore not a process of ideology as in
    much Marxist writing, but a very concrete set of social institutions. These turn the
    artefact into a commodity, thus disconnecting it from its origins and so freezing the
    technological choices it embodies. Commodification makes products independent of
    any social location, it is a process of Verselbständigung. Robin Williams has shown
    how the social choices in software products become reduced as the technology
    becomes ‘black boxed’. The options involved in the product become hidden under
    the shrink wrapping. Users can certainly apply Windows 95 in a multitude of ways1,
    but they cannot influence its design. By contrast, bespoke software is relatively open
    to social choices as different potential users can directly influence the way it is
    developed (Williams 1995). And of course the car is a global commodity. Cars are
    the same the world over.
    However, cars are part of a wider system, which ranges from the roads to the many
    social institutions which car transport involves. Such a car system is an assemblage of

Of course, compared to many other black boxed technologies, contemporary
    software has a very wider range of potential uses, many of which are unplanned by
    the actual designers.
    Transport Rich and Transport Poor
    different entities, only some of which are commodified and only some of which are
    discrete physical products. As such the car system displays a variation that is much
    more immediately socially shaped than the individual car. And arguably it is the car
    system, rather than the car itself, which really matters. To analyse just the car is as
    absurd or as limited as to analyse railways in terms of the steam engine alone.
    Sometimes all members of society have to own and use a car in order to carry out
    their normal activities The importance of the right to own and use a car in all
    advanced societies is shown by the fact these rights are probably part of what adult
    members of advanced societies consider as citizenship: passing a driving test is a far
    more important social ritual today than exercising the vote for the first time! This
    focus on the system rather than the individual commodity ensures that we do not
    psychologise car dependency and under-estimate its social bases. All too often
    people’s usage of cars is understood in terms of status symbols and consumption,
    rather than in the simple sense that without a car people cannot get to work, get their
    children to school, go shopping, etc. The car system enables people to do some things
    (take the children to school) and constrains them from doing other things (allowing
    their children to walk to school). It faces individual actors as a physical system (the
    layout of the roads) and a set of constraints and opportunities which is - in the short
    run - impossible to change. Like the freeway bridges that prevented inner city blacks
    from reaching the beaches of Long Island (Winner, 1980), the car system appears
    obdurate.
    While cars are important to social life in all advanced societies, there is considerable
    variation in the extent to which the car is actually essential. There are in other words,
    variations in car dependency. Car dependency varies by task: people may have to use
    their car to get to work, but not need to use it for shopping. The extent of car
    dependency is not just the result of the car system itself. It also depends on the public
    transport system and the form of land use. The extent to which people can, let alone
    will, use public transport instead of their car depends on the form and level of
    transport provision. Thus a public transport system that is simply a series of radial
    routes from the city centre provides a very different service to a system that where the
    network takes the form of a grid. Other obvious issues here include the extent to
    which the system is actually configured as a system for the individual user: how easy
    is interchange between modes, is there inter-ticketing, are there even clear route
    maps? The frequency, regularity and reliability of the service is important, as is of
    course the mix of the modes itself (users find buses less comfortable than heavy rail,
    light rail and trams). And last but not least, there is the issue of price and the extent to
    which cities subsidise their public transport.
    Car dependency is also shaped by land use, for this above all determines the extent to
    which people need to be mobile at all. The simplest issue here is the extent to which
    housing and employment are separated and how they are located relative to each
    other. In early industrial cities, nearly all workers walked to work: the proletarian
    tenements surrounded the mines and factories. Today an increasing number of
    professionals choose to live within walking distance of their work in the city centre, a
    process which is part of the gentrification of the inner cities. And of course,
    information technology is enabling more people to work at home. For most people
    however, work requires a substantial journey. Planning laws and the nature of the
    housing market determine the extent to which housing is accessible only by car.
    Equally, the growth of office parks and out of town shopping malls generates car
    traffic for these places are usually unreachable in any other way. Other traffic
    generators include public facilities, above all hospitals but also educational
    institutions, as well as other transport nodes, above all airports.
    Car dependency thus depends on the way the car system proper is related to public
    transport provision and land use planning. All of these are socially and indeed
    politically shaped. Their form and their inter-relationship depend upon overt
    decisions and implicit ideologies which are extremely amenable to social analysis.
    Of course, social life depends on many other technologies apart from just the car. Car
    dependency has become overtly problematic not because of dependency per se, but
    high car usage is seen to threaten the environment and because traffic congestion is
    frustrating and expensive.
    Nonetheless, there are two social aspects of car dependency which arguably are
    important for understanding the role of the car in contemporary society. They show
    how car dependency is not neutral: it effects the type of society in which people live
    and it effects different people in different ways. And as we shall see later, these are
    important for the particular form car dependency takes in particular cities.
    The argument that follows makes a distinction between social cohesion and social
    inclusion. Each of these can be thought of as one end of a continuum describing
    features of social structure. If social cohesion describes a situation where members
    of society feel mutual obligation and responsibility for each other, a situation where
    this does not apply is one of anomie, where people act in purely selfish and
    individualistic terms. By contrast, social inclusion describes a situation where all
    members of society have adequate resources to fully participate in the life of society.
    By contrast, social exclusion is that process whereby some people are kept out of the
    mainstream of society, in particular because they lack resources. Social inclusion /
    exclusion thus involves social inequality, while social cohesion / anomie does not.
    In terms of social cohesion there is a clear relationship between car dependency and
    the quality of social life. Universal car ownership was seen until recently as part of
    the achievements of contemporary consumer society. In fordist society ‘universal’ car
    ownership meant that every family had a car; in contemporary post-modern society it
    means that every individual has a car2. But widespread car usage in cities destroys
    public space and facilitates the creation of privatised public space. As Rogers
    describes the world of American shopping malls: 'The car-choked streets are left to
    the poor and unemployed, while the wealthy workers shop and do business in air-
    conditioned comfort and security'. (Rogers 1997). What Apel and Pharaoh (1995)
    call ‘carurbanity’ is incompatible with urbanity. As cars take over the world outside
    the house, it less and less an area for public sociability - the key characteristic of city
    life. Hence radical architects and town planners have for decades tried to stem the
    advance of the car. Hence too the well developed tradition of aesthetic criticism of
    car dependency.
    At a more general level, widespread car usage creates many situations where
    individuals can act irresponsibly without cognisance of social obligations - from
    explicit road rage through to the implicit anti-social behaviour of fast and noisy
    driving, where the individual is ‘carcooned’ from the consequences of his (less
    usually her) actions. Whereas Elias (1995) saw the long term decline of road
    accidents as an another example of the ‘civilising process’,3 car usage now appears as

In a similar way, the mobile phone means that every individual can have their own
    phone: private phones are no only accessible through a households.
    We are grateful to Stephen Mennell for alerting us to this argument.
    part of a process whereby social bonds are loosened.4 The ‘great car society’
    promulgated by Mrs. Thatcher is an oxymoron. Where everyone uses a car, then
    social cohesion is undermined.
    Secondly, there is the relationship between car dependency and social exclusion.. If
    all adults can own and use a car, then a completely car dependent society does not
    exclude anyone. A car society can be inclusive even if not cohesive. As far as the
    adult population is concerned, the only relevant aspect of the car for social inequality
    is that poorer income groups are constrained to spend a disproportionate share of their
    income on a capital asset in order to have any mobility. However, such complete
    universal car ownership is unlikely. Even in the most affluent societies, universal car
    ownership still means one car per household, so that for many poorer households
    adults are in competition for use of the car. However, in the USA, and increasingly in
    Europe, women and men are equally likely to have a driving licence. Although one
    might assume that even then men would win out in any competition for access to the
    car, the question of gender inequality in such a situation is probably best posed as an
    empirical issue. It is however clear that since carurbanity means that cities are
    designed for those with cars, those who are too young or too old to drive are excluded.
    For example, children cannot ride a bicycle to school or play on the street, since cars
    have made these activities too dangerous. Conventional policies in road safety of
    course exacerbate this situation by segregating cars and pedestrians and by training
    children to learn that cars are dangerous.
    There is considerable, if anecdotal evidence that hazards associated with cars tend to
    fall disproportionately on the poor, although not in a completely linear way. For
    example, localised pollution caused by cars owned by suburban commuters falls on
    inner city communities (for summary of evidence, see Whitelegg, 1993). Notice that
    this means that the working class suburban estates typical of North West Europe are
    not effected in this way. Although there is little systematic evidence on the
    relationship between social class and car deaths, it is clear that the poor are
    particularly likely to be amongst pedestrians (both adult and children) killed and
    wounded by cars. Notice again however that this is to do with location in the first
    instance - poor people are disproportionately present in the inner city areas through
    which suburban car owners drive en route to work or leisure.
    The key connection between car dependency and social exclusion occurs through
    access. In many European cities, particularly in North West Europe, suburbanisation
    means that people have only the most basic facilities within walking distance. Shops,
    entertainment, even employment itself is located either in another suburb and as such
    almost impossible to reach except by car, or in the city centre which may be far away
    and only reachable by a rather limited public transport system. While this may not
    pose problems for car-owners, it does for everyone else. Suburbanisation has occurred
    as if everyone who lived in the suburbs had a car, yet this is manifestly not the case.
    While ‘suburbanisation’ initially meant the location of housing, it now includes
    shopping, entertainment, education and employment. For such facilities to be
    accessible to those without cars they need to be concentrated at nodes of an expanded
    public transport system. In other words, car dependency can only be contained by the
    integration of transport policy and land use policy.

Here we are distinguishing between social INCLUSION and social COHESION;
    much contemporary discussion conflates the two.
    3. The urban politics of car dependency
    Project SceneSusTech5 studies the social implications and political feasibility of a
    move towards sustainable mobility in European cities. This involves analysing the
    causes and consequences of ‘car dependency’, that is to say, the way in which the
    private motor car - with all its negative environmental consequences - has become
    indispensable to people’s daily lives. The core of the research is a comparative study
    of four European cities: Athens, Bologna, Dublin and Helsinki. Athens and Dublin
    represent high levels of car dependency and its associated environmental damage,
    Bologna and Helsinki are rather closer to sustainable mobility.
    The project began by comparing levels of car usage in different cities across the
    globe. While the four case study cities do already appear here, they are simply
    compared to other cities on some aggregate variables (above all, the proportion of
    journeys to work which rely on the car). The purpose of this stage of the research was
    to assess the extent to which car usage varies between cities. To the extent that such
    variation exists, it suggests that car dependency may not be inevitable but instead can
    be reduced by public policy. Very simply, this stage of the research concluded that if
    car usage is defined simply as the proportion of journeys to work which are made in
    private cars, then car usage cannot be explained by a city’s wealth or by a city’s
    population density. For example, in 1990 Athens and Dublin were poorer than
    Bologna and Helsinki, but their inhabitants were more reliant on the private car to get
    to work. Equally, Dublin and Helsinki have similar population densities, but in
    Dublin car usage is higher than in Helsinki. Charts 3.1 and 3.2 present the basic data.
    Figure 3.1 Wealth and Journey to work: 40 cities
    Source: SceneSusTech; Kenworthy at al
    GVP/GRP
    J
    tW
    %
    p
    r
    iv
    a
    te
    Cities grouped
    Developing Asia
    Wealthy Asia
    Europe
    USA
    Australia
    Total Population
    Athens
    Bologna
    Helsinki
    Dublin

The project is supported by the EU DG12 Targeted Socio-Economic Research
    (TSER) RTD Programme, Contract no. SOE1-CT97-1071. The project is co-
    ordinated by the Employment Research Centre, Trinity College Dublin. The other
    partners are Unit of Social Policy (USP), University of Jyväsklylä, Finland; Instituto
    Ricerche Economiche e Sociali (IRES), Rome, Italy; Institute of Urban and Rural
    Sociology, National Centre for Social Research (IURS) Athens, Greece.
    Figure 3.2 Population density and journey to work: 40 citiesPopulation Density and Travel to Work
    pop. Density
    J
    tW
    %
    p
    r
    iv
    a
    te
    Cities grouped
    Wealthy Asia
    Europe
    USA
    Australia
    Athens
    Bologna
    Helsinki
    Dublin
    The next stage of the research was a social history and political sociology of the car
    system in each city. We began by tracing the histories of public transport and the car
    system in each of the four cities. This suggested that much of the difference between
    the cities can be understood in terms of technological trajectories – at certain points
    the city is launched down a development path which then becomes ‘normal’ within
    the city and difficult to change. Conversely, it is possible to identify ‘switching
    points’, points at which the entire trajectory is questioned and altered. For example,
    in Helsinki the Smith-Polvinen plan of the 1960s foresaw the city transformed into a
    motorised city dominated by urban motorways. The resulting public outcry forced a
    re-orientation of policy towards revitalising public transport. Dublin may well be at a
    similar juncture today.
    This histories are accounts ‘from the outside’: they describe what happened, but do
    not explain how it happened. Used methods from political sociology we therefore
    attempted to open this ‘black box’ of urban decision-making. In each city we
    analysed two cases of decision-making, one which appeared to enhance sustainable
    development (in Dublin the light rail Luas), the other which enhanced car dependency
    (in Dublin the Liffey Valley Shopping Centre). These case studies showed how
    successful urban transport policies depend upon strong regional and urban
    governments with the financial and administrative resources to make relatively
    independent decisions.
    Strong local government provides the context for another component of a successful
    transport policy, namely an urban coalition or ‘policy network’ of diverse interest
    groups which share a basic strategic vision of the city and of the role of urban
    transport. According to our research in Bologna and Helsinki the original impetus for
    a revival of public transport came from the political left in the 1970s, but that over
    time this policy had become common to most major actors in the city. Thus in
    Helsinki we can identify a political consensus which identifies the city with its rail
    system. In this context individual economic actors (e.g. property developers) align
    their plans with those of the city and so ensure the success of the overall policy.
    Conversely in Dublin, the original overground Luas project was supported by a
    diverse coalition of interest groups, but this was easily over-ridden by central
    government.
    The next stage of the project aimed to study the relationship between urban social
    structure and the car system in each city. To what extent does the car system
    differentially facilitate and constrain different groups of people? It is this stage of the
    research which therefore focuses on the relationship between car transport and social
    exclusion. This involves zooming in on three different case study areas within each
    case study city. In each case study city three distinct urban areas were selected,
    broadly characterised as suburban middle class, low income suburban, and inner city
    middle class. The total project therefore collected data on 12 areas. This stage of the
    research therefore allows us to make comparisons between similar areas within
    different cities. For example, what is the impact of the very different transport
    policies of Dublin and Helsinki on similar working class areas in the two cities? Is it
    the case that the working class area of Dublin is particularly disadvantaged because of
    Dublin’s high level of car dependency?
    Chart 3.3: Case study areas
    Working class
    peripheral Middle classperipheral Inner cityprofessional
    Athens Agioi Anargiroi
    (30,700) Polidrosson/a Kolonakin/a
    Bologna La Barca
    (20,500) Bolognina(c 33,200) Centro Storico(55,500)
    Dublin Jobstown
    (7,300) Clonskeagh(1,800) North Docklands(1,200)
    Helsinki Kontula
    (12,600) Lansi-Pakila(6,500) Taka-Toolo(14,300)
    Research at the local level enables us to investigate the form of transport people use
    in its particular spatial context. Furthermore, at this level it is possible to locate what
    facilities are available (shops, entertainment, etc.). This enables us to link questions
    of mobility (how people move around) with questions of accessibility (what people
    can reach). Furthermore, it is only by focusing on the contextualised individual that
    we can investigate another of our guiding assumptions, namely that car dependency
    has social consequences. Thus the original proposal argued that cities which are car
    dependent are likely to exclude the poor – even if poor families have cars, poor
    individuals are less likely to own cars. And those without cars cannot reach ‘normal’
    facilities or only can do so by using inadequate public transport. By contrast, in a
    city that is not car dependent, facilities can be reached by everyone, whether or not
    they have a car.
    This stage of the research began with an ethnographic study of each area. Apart from
    collecting any existing secondary material (research reports, population statistics,
    pollution data), fieldwork involved visiting the area and driving and walking around,
    as well as preferably using public transport; interviewing key informants, ranging
    from town planners to local taxi drivers; taking photographs. The results confirmed
    the key hypothesis of the project in relation to social exclusion. La Barca, Jobstown
    and Kontula are all areas of public housing built in the 1970s. At one extreme the
    well developed transport system of Helsinki provides a form of ‘transport welfare’
    (Helsinki report). Kontula in Helsinki is a working class suburban area with high
    unemployment, yet good transport facilities link it to the city centre and to other areas
    of the city. At the other extreme in Jobstown in Dublin poverty and unemployment
    are exacerbated by poor public transport. Furthermore, facilitates for shopping and
    sport are almost non-existent, so residents have to travel further than in Kontula even
    though transport provision is less.
    The research continued with a questionnaire-based social survey in each area. This
    provides the data for the next section of this paper. Research in each area concluded
    with a series of focus groups with local residents. At the time of writing (November
    1999) we are starting the final stage of research in which we use our fieldwork results
    as part of the process of constructing scenarios for transport policy in each of the four
    cities in interaction with the city’s policy makers.
    4. Counting people out – car dependency and social exclusion
    For this paper the survey is used to examine the relationship between car usage and
    social exclusion. While much public commentary talks about ‘the motorist’ or ‘the
    public transport user’, our concern is to see what if any is the relationship between
    these terms and social inequality. In what ways is car usage related to social
    inequality? Does living in a car dependent city make non-car owners more
    disadvantaged than in a less car dependent city?
    As Table 3.3 has shown, the sample areas were very different in size. Furthermore,
    they were selected as representing different areas of each city, where the area is
    defined both in terms of class (‘middle class’ or ‘working class’) and location
    (‘suburban’ or ‘inner city’). The areas are not therefore ‘representative samples’ from
    each city and it is not possible to aggregate the results from different areas. The
    survey results are therefore always reported here in terms of all 12 areas. The areas
    can be compared with each other both within cities (e.g. ‘working class suburban
    Dublin’ and ‘middle class suburban Dublin’) and across cities (‘working class
    suburban Dublin’ and ‘working class suburban Helsinki’). The key purpose of the
    survey was to compare different areas of our case study cities. The sample was
    therefore designed to be representative of each individual area, not of the city as a
    whole. Each case study area was divided into two or three further sub-areas so that the
    differences within the area were represented in the sample. Within each sub-area
    individuals were selected for the sample by a random walk, with equal quotas for
    women and men, and a total of 50 respondents in each area. In Bologna it was
    possible to increase the intended sample to 100 respondents in each area. Full details
    of the sampling procedure used in each city are contained in the Appendix.
    4.1 The areas: employment and social class
    Table 4.1 Areas by social class
    Service Inter-
    mediary Working Total
    Athens (W) 35.0 25.0 40.0 100.0
    Athens (W) 35.0 25.0 40.0 100.0
    Athnens (M) 22.6 67.7 9.7 100.0
    Athnens (M) 22.6 67.7 9.7 100.0
    Athens (I) 87.5 6.3 6.3 100.0
    Bologna (W) 20.8 32.1 47.2 100.0
    Bologna (M) 17.3 40.4 42.3 100.0
    Bologna (M) 17.3 40.4 42.3 100.0
    Bologna (I) 25.0 36.4 38.6 100.0
    Bologna (I) 25.0 36.4 38.6 100.0
    Dublin (W) 6.3 12.5 81.3 100.0
    Dublin (W) 6.3 12.5 81.3 100.0
    Dublin (M) 42.9 25.0 32.1 100.0
    Dublin (M) 42.9 25.0 32.1 100.0
    Dublin (I) 25.0 46.9 28.1 100.0
    Dublin (I) 25.0 46.9 28.1 100.0
    Helsinki (W) 15.8 36.8 47.4 100.0
    Helsinki (W) 15.8 36.8 47.4 100.0
    Helsinki (M) 56.3 28.1 15.6 100.0
    Helsinki (M) 56.3 28.1 15.6 100.0
    Helsinki (I) 54.8 22.6 22.6 100.0
    Helsinki (I) 54.8 22.6 22.6 100.0
    Table 4.1 shows the social class composition of the areas. ‘Social class’ is derived
    simply from the occupation given by those respondents who reported that they had a
    job. This occupation was coded according to the International Standard Classification
    of Occupations. These were then aggregated into a three-fold ‘Goldthorpe’ schema.
    The ‘service class’ comprises professional and managerial occupations, including
    large proprietors, ‘intermediary’ comprises routine white collar, technical and sales
    staff, while ‘manual’ comprises all manual occupations. The results presented in
    Table 4.1 are necessarily very crude, in particular because they take no account of
    either gender or household structure.
    In all four cities the area that we had designated as ‘working class’ does in fact have
    the highest proportion of ‘working class’ occupations. The high proportion of service
    class occupations in the Athens working class area probably occurs because our
    coding scheme allocates all self-employed people to the ‘service class’, and in Athens
    this will include many small artisans. It is also noticeable how Dublin emerges as the
    most socially segregated of all our four cities, at least in terms of the extent to which
    the working class area is a one class area. Thus working class occupations comprise
    80% of all relevant respondents in the Dublin working class area, as opposed to only
    47% in both Bologna and Helsinki and 40% in Athens.
    The areas also have different age profiles. In line with the different national
    demographic structures, overall the Dublin areas tend to have a higher proportion of
    young people (18-24) and Helsinki a higher proportion of older people (65+).
    Furthermore the survey results are also in line two demographic peculiarities of two
    inner city areas reported from ethnographic and census material: inner city Athens
    has an unusually high proportion of older people, and inner city Helsinki a high
    proportion of young people.
    Finally employment in the different areas for the age group 18-64 also shows
    considerable variation. In line with current EU practice the focus here is on
    employment per se, i.e. part-time and full-time employment is collapsed into one
    category. This shows considerable variation between the areas: from a low of 43% in
    Athens (W) to a high of 85% in Athens (I). As expected, the gender gap in
    employment is far lower in Helsinki than in the other cities, with working class
    Dublin closer to the two southern cities where many women are not in the workforce,
    while the other two Dublin areas are closer to Helsinki.
    4.2 Cars, class, gender and age
    The survey results remind us of the sheer normality of car ownership in European
    cities. In virtually every area, the majority of households have a car. There are
    however significant variations. With the exception of the ‘working class’ suburb of
    La Barca in Bologna, in each city the middle class area has the highest proportion of
    household car ownership. In every city, the inner city area has the lowest proportion
    of household car ownership.
    Table 4.2 Car ownership by household
    % households with car
    Athens (W) 75
    Athens (W) 75
    Athens (M) 90
    Athens (M) 90
    Athens (I) 68
    Athens (I) 68
    Bologna (W) 88
    Bologna (W) 88
    Bologna (M) 65
    Bologna (M) 65
    Bologna (I) 64
    Bologna (I) 64
    Dublin (W) 56
    Dublin (W) 56
    Dublin (M) 89
    Dublin (M) 89
    Dublin (I) 39
    Dublin (I) 39
    Helsinki (W) 50
    Helsinki (W) 50
    Helsinki (M) 83
    Helsinki (M) 83
    Helsinki (I) 48
    Helsinki (I) 48
    Base: All respondents, N=753.
    As argued above, it is not possible to generalise directly from our sample to the
    population of each city as a whole. However, some indication of the comparative
    levels of car ownership can be achieved by taking each of the different types of areas
    (working class, middle class, inner city) and ranking the cities on them. Table 4.2 re-
    presents Table 4.1 in this form. The table suggests that Athens and Helsinki are the
    two extreme cases in the study. Within each area Athens is in the highest or second
    highest rank. Conversely, Helsinki is in the lowest or second lowest rank within each
    area. Bologna and Dublin appear more ambiguous with no clear overall rank order
    across the different areas. The contrast between Athens – by far the poorest city in the
    study – and the much more affluent Helsinki recalls the earlier finding from the travel
    to work data. Owning a car, like using the car to travel to work, is hardly simply a
    function of the city’s wealth.
    Table 4.3 Household car ownership: city rank by area
    Cities by rank order within each area
    Working class
    suburban Middle classsuburban Inner city
    Highest Bologna 88% Athens 90% Athens 68%
    Athens 75% Dublin 89% Bologna 64%
    Dublin 56% Helsinki 83% Helsinki 48%
    Lowest Helsinki 50% Bologna 65% Dublin 39%
    The normality of the car is most pronounced in the ‘conventional’ household which
    comprises the respondent and a spouse or partner and where the respondent is in the
    core active age of 25 to 64. Here virtually every household in every area has a car
    (Table 4.3), particularly in the middle class suburban areas. Furthermore, in these
    households, car ownership now frequently means not the family car, but several cars
    Car owning households are least common in, above all, the Dublin working class area
    (only 63%) and the inner city areas of Dublin (73%) and Helsinki (79%).
    Table 4.4: Car ownership ‘core age’ partner households
    AREA Car owning
    households (%)(N) Mean N of cars per household(car owning households only)
    Athens (W) 84 25 1.05
    Athens (W) 84 25 1.05
    Athens (M) 97 37 1.28
    Athens (M) 97 37 1.28
    Athens (I) 94 18 1.59
    Athens (I) 94 18 1.59
    Bologna (W) 100 43 1.42
    Bologna (W) 100 43 1.42
    Bologna (M) 97 37 1.36
    Bologna (M) 97 37 1.36
    Bologna (I) 97 31 1.63
    Bologna (I) 97 31 1.63
    Dublin (W) 63 27 1.12
    Dublin (W) 63 27 1.12
    Dublin (M) 100 20 1.90
    Dublin (M) 100 20 1.90
    Dublin (I) 73 15 1.18
    Dublin (I) 73 15 1.18
    Helsinki (W) 87 15 1.31
    Helsinki (W) 87 15 1.31
    Helsinki (M) 100 30 1.40
    Helsinki (M) 100 30 1.40
    Helsinki (I) 79 14 1.18
    Helsinki (I) 79 14 1.18
    Total 91 (312) (285)
    Total 91 (312) (285)
    Base: All core age partner households, N=312.
    Evidence from the preliminary interviews and the focus groups showed that
    deviations from this normality are either the result of relative poverty or of conscious
    choice. In the survey this issue was addressed by focusing on those who did not have
    car but who had to travel to work or college. This group was asked for their response
    to the statement 'I would buy a car if only I could afford one'. It would be tempting to
    argue that the only reason why people in the suburban areas do not have a car is that
    they cannot afford one, whereas non-owners in the inner city might choose whether or
    not to buy a car. However, this is not the case, although given the very small numbers
    the responses must be interpreted with more than usual caution. The data shows an
    interaction of city level and area level issues. Firstly, all the areas of Bologna and
    Helsinki had a significant proportion of non-car owners who 'strongly disagreed' with
    the statement, while in the suburban areas of Athens and Dublin there were no such
    respondents at all. In other words, citizens of Bologna and Helsinki, wherever they
    live, can conceptualise life without a car, while this is much more difficult for
    suburban inhabitants of Athens and Dublin. Secondly, there was some disagreement
    with the statement amongst non-car owners in every single area of the study,
    suggesting that even in those areas where mobility is most dependent on the private
    car, not everyone regards it as an absolute priority to own their own individual car.
    Table 4.5 Poverty and non-car ownership
    Response to the statement 'I would buy a car if only I could afford one' (row
    percentages)
    strongly
    agree agree no view disagree stronglydisagree (N)
    Athens (W) 27 55 18 11
    Athens (M) 67 33 6
    Athens (I) 22 78 9
    Bologna (W) 14 7 66 7 7 29
    Bologna (M) 11 45 11 6 28 36
    Bologna (I) 35 19 8 15 23 26
    Dublin (W) 63 6 31 16
    Dublin (M) 50 33 17 12
    Dublin (I) 7 48 10 29 7 31
    Helsinki (W) 11 11 44 33 18
    Helsinki (M) 8 8 83 12
    Helsinki (I) 10 10 40 20 50 20
    Base: Respondents at work or college without a car
    Finally, there are some if limited differences here between women and men. If
    analysis is restricted to the core car owning households (see above), then within these
    households men usually, but not always, are more likely to drive than women. While
    certainly the normal case is that all adults can drive, in our case study cities at least
    some clear gender differences do remain.
    Chart 4.1 Car driving by gender, car owning households only
    Athe
    ns (W
    )
    Athn
    ens
    (M)
    Athe
    ns (I
    )
    Bolo
    gna
    (W)
    Bolo
    gna
    (M)
    Bolo
    gna
    (I)
    Dub
    lin (W
    )
    Dub
    lin (M
    )
    Dub
    lin (I
    )
    Hels
    inki
    (W)
    Hels
    inki
    (M)
    Hels
    inki
    (I)
    Men
    Women
    Base: respondents in car-owning households
    Finally, it is important to notice that age is a more important discriminator than
    gender. In every area with the exception of inner city Helsinki, there is a clear
    inverted U shaped relationship between age and car driving . With the exception of
    Bologna, it is car driving is most common amongst the middle class and the middle
    aged. Fully 90% of respondents aged between 25 and 64 in the middle class Dublin
    suburb drove, while at the other extreme the same applied to only 13% of respondents
    under 25 in the working class Dublin suburb. The same pattern applies in most other
    cities, but not with the extreme differences shown in Dublin. Car is also most
    common in the middle years of the life cycle. As might be expected, while in the older
    age category the proportion who own a car and the proportion who drive a car are
    usually similar, in the younger category drivers are more frequent than owners. If
    inequalities of access to the car are defined by age more than gender, then one
    strategy for reducing car usage may be to try to postpone as long as possible the point
    at which young adults decide it is necessary for them to purchase their own car.
    4.3 Public versus private transport
    In all European cities public policy now aims to persuade people to use public
    transport instead of the car. The city level analysis has already shown dramatic
    differences between our case study cities in terms of the extent to which people use
    the car to travel to work (Charts 3.1 and 3.2). Not surprisingly, these differences are
    reflected in the survey. Public transport usage is higher in Bologna and in particular in
    Helsinki than in the other two cities. Thus within the working class areas, fully 48%
    of respondents in Helsinki had used public transport in the last two days, higher than
    in any other working class area. Equally, in both inner city and middle class suburban
    areas, usage is higher in Helsinki than in the other cities. The differences between the
    areas within the cities are equally important and clear. With the exception of
    Bologna, usage of public transport is lowest in the middle class area. Within these
    general patterns, it is worth noticing the extraordinarily high level of public transport
    usage in the Helsinki inner city, with fully 58% of all respondents using public
    transport in the last two days - the highest level in the entire study. Helsinki is also
    remarkable for the mix of public transport - in Helsinki respondents are likely to use
    metro, tram and bus, and this is in fact particularly high in the inner city area which is
    served by all three modes.
    Not surpassingly, public transport usage usually falls as soon as there is a car in the
    household, although there are exceptions: the working class areas of Athens and
    Dublin, and in middle class Athens, presumably because not everyone in these
    households has access to the car when they need it. Even more important is the
    extent to which car ownership or car-driving replaces public transport usage
    completely. There is in fact substantial variation between areas and between cities in
    the extent to which car drivers (and car owners) also use public transport. At one
    extreme in inner city Helsinki 43% of all those in car-owning households used public
    transport in the last two days. At the other extreme there are areas, namely inner city
    Dublin and middle class Helsinki and middle class Dublin, where nobody with access
    to a car had used any public transport at all.
    Where public transport usage is combined with using the car, then public transport
    remains part of the ‘public sphere’, a facility that belongs to all citizens. By contrast,
    where public transport is abandoned as soon as people have access to the car, then
    there is presumably less public support for transport as a public service and public
    transport users may well be seen as an inferior group.
    Table 4.5 Public transport use by household car ownership
    Percentage of each category using public transport in last two days
    AREA No car Has car All N
    Athens (W) 31 29 29 51
    Athens (W) 31 29 29 51
    Athens (M) 20 20 20 51
    Athens (M) 20 20 20 51
    Athens (I) 31 21 24 50
    Athens (I) 31 21 24 50
    Bologna (W) 83 30 36 99
    Bologna (W) 83 30 36 99
    Bologna (M) 62 34 44 98
    Bologna (M) 62 34 44 98
    Bologna (I) 63 27 40 98
    Bologna (I) 63 27 40 98
    Dublin (W) 42 37 39 54
    Dublin (W) 42 37 39 54
    Dublin (M) 50 15 19 54
    Dublin (M) 50 15 19 54
    Dublin (I) 27 0 20 54
    Dublin (I) 27 0 20 54
    Helsinki (W) 62 33 48 48
    Helsinki (W) 62 33 48 48
    Helsinki (M) 63 15 23 48
    Helsinki (M) 63 15 23 48
    Helsinki (I) 72 43 58 48
    Helsinki (I) 72 43 58 48
    Total 52 26 34 753
    Total 52 26 34 753
    It is usually assumed that people do not use public transport because they see it as low
    quality form of travelling - it is unreliable, crowded, dirty, etc. Respondents were
    presented with a series of statements about public transport in their city and asked the
    extent to which they agreed with them.
    The simplest issue of public transport quality is whether or not it is clean - in terms of
    cleanliness of public transport, the statement was 'Public transport is dirty'. Another
    crucial issue is accessibility - whether the public transport system is a system which
    people can use to reach different parts of the city ('Public transport makes any part of
    the city accessible to me'). If citizens are to use the public transport they need reliable
    and comprehensible information ('The timetables are clear and easy to understand').
    Unlike in previous sections, the key division here is between cities, rather than
    between different areas. This is entirely plausible, because public transport operates
    at the level of the city rather than the local area. On the one hand, Dubliners have a
    far more negative view of their public transport than the inhabitants of our other cities.
    On each of the three aspects of public transport quality every single area of the city
    returns scores below the average. Conversely, the citizens of Helsinki see their public
    transport in a very positive light: on every aspect all areas of Helsinki return scores
    on or above the average. The situation in Bologna and Athens is more ambiguous,
    with Bologna tending to score more positively.
    The results can be seen more clearly if the different aspects of public transport quality
    are combined into a scale (Chart 4.2). This is a simple additive scale combining 9
    aspects of transport quality. Of the original 11 items, two are omitted since they did
    not correlate strongly with the others: 'The cost of fares puts me off public using
    public transport' and 'The public transport routes are useless for me'. The scores on all
    other items were totalled and the result recalculated to produce a scale ranging from 0
    (low) to 100 (high).
    Chart 4.2 Perception of Public Transport Quality
    AREA
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    I)
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    M)
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    W)
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (I
    )
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (
    M)
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (
    W)
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (I
    )
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (
    M)
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (
    W)
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (I
    )
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (
    M)
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (
    W)
    P
    u
    b
    l
    ic
    t
    ra
    n
    sp
    o
    r
    t
    s
    a
    t
    is
    fa
    c
    t
    io
    n
    s
    ca
    le
    Using this composite measure again shows the importance of the city factor - the
    scores for all three areas of each city are closely related. Again also the distinctive
    situation of Helsinki is very clear - in all three areas of Helsinki public transport is
    perceived more positively than in any area of any other city. Dubliners’ negative
    experience of their public transport system is highlighted in Chart 4.3 This shows that
    in all other cities, those people who actually use public transport have a rather more
    positive perception of it than those who do not. By contrast in Dublin, people who
    use public transport discover that it is even worse than the non-users believe.
    Chart 4.3 Perception of public transport quality by recent use
    AREA
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    I)
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    M)
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    W)
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (I
    )
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (
    M)
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (
    W)
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (I
    )
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (
    M)
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (
    W)
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (I
    )
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (
    M)
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (
    W)
    P
    u
    b
    l
    ic
    t
    ra
    n
    sp
    o
    r
    t
    s
    a
    t
    is
    fa
    c
    t
    io
    n
    s
    ca
    le
    Public transpt use
    None
    Used
    The most satisfied transport users are those in all areas of Helsinki, the inner city and
    working class areas of Bologna, and the middle class area of Athens. Overall the
    most important finding of this section is the way in which Helsinki shows both high
    levels of public transport usage and a positive perception of public transport quality.
    Even in Helsinki, when people own cars they are less likely to use public transport.
    However in Helsinki the high quality of public transport has two effects. Firstly, it
    seems to make car ownership less important for people. Since the inhabitants of
    Helsinki believe they have a high quality public transport system, they are less likely
    to make purchasing a car a priority. Secondly, even when they own a car if they live
    in the inner city area in particular they are less likely than the inhabitants of the other
    cities to actually use their car. Car ownership, in other words, is not so necessary as
    elsewhere in order to participate in the society.
    4.4 Getting to work
    The journey to work remains the main focus of public policy attempts to reduce car
    usage, whether by persuading people to change transport mode or, in the longer term,
    by locating work and housing closer together. This focus is in fact problematic
    because the journey to work is a decreasing proportion of the total amount of car
    journeys. Furthermore, working times and even work locations are also becoming
    more flexible, so that the journey to work itself is becoming less amenable to the
    rigid patterns of most public transport provision.
    Nonetheless the journey to work remains the simplest starting point for a discussion of
    the different ways in which people use cars. City level data from 1990 (Chart 3.1)
    showed a clear difference between on the one hand, Athens and Dublin, two very car
    dependent cities, and on the other hand, Bologna and Helsinki, where cars were used
    much less for this journey. This section uses the survey data to explore that issue
    within the different areas of the four cities.
    As expected, in every city inhabitants of middle class suburban areas are most likely
    to make this journey in their own car. In every city but Helsinki, inhabitants of the
    inner city are most likely to travel on foot or by bicycle. Making comparisons
    between the cities, instead of within them, Athens has the highest level of travel to
    work by car (it is either in first or second position within each area) and Helsinki the
    highest level of travel by public transport.
    Chart 4.4 Normal mode of travel to work, all employed aged 25-64
    0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100%
    Athens (W)
    Athens (M)
    Athens (I)
    Bologna (W)
    Bologna (M)
    Bologna (I)
    Dublin (W)
    Dublin (M)
    Dublin (I)
    Helsinki (W)
    Helsinki (M)
    Helsinki (I)
    Own car Public transport Walk /cycle Other
    Base: All at work aged 25-64 (N=354)
    Chart 4.5 Normal mode of travel to work, all employed aged 25-64, car owners
    Athens (W)
    Athens (M)
    Athens (I)
    Bologna (W)
    Bologna (M)
    Bologna (I)
    Dublin (W)
    Dublin (M)
    Dublin (I)
    Helsinki (W)
    Helsinki (M)
    Helsinki (I)
    Own car Public transport Walk /cycle Other
    Base: All aged 25-64 and at work who own cars, N=212
    Chart 4.4 narrows the focus to examine only those aged between 25 and 64 who are at
    work. In other words, it focuses on that journey and those people that have been the
    conventional focus of transport policy.6 In middle class Dublin this now reaches
    nearly 80% of all respondents, and most areas are at about the 50% mark. This
    narrower focus also highlights the specific situation of inner city Helsinki, Dublin and
    Athens, where the proportion using their car is now remarkably low compared to the
    rest of the sample. When the focus is narrowed still further to examine only the car
    owners in this group, the proportion who do use their car to get to work is well over
    50% in all areas, but reaches its most extreme level in Dublin (70% or more in all
    areas). Conversely, those who leave their car at home are more likely to do so in inner
    city Helsinki than elsewhere. Helsinki car owners are particularly likely to leave their
    car at home because they find public transport more comfortable.
    In conclusion, this analysis suggests two rather different policy objectives. Firstly,
    the objective can be to accept universal car ownership, but to reduce the extent to
    which the journey to work is made by car. This fits with the frequent disclaimers of
    traffic planners that they are not 'against car ownership', just against car usage. The
    survey results can be used to support this argument - they show that there are cases
    where car owners do travel to work without using their cars. In the most extreme case
    for example, only 22% of employed 'core age' car owners in inner city Helsinki travel
    to work by car. This would seem to be the result of the combination of central
    location (leading to short journeys to work) and very good quality local public
    transport. However, inner city Helsinki is very much the exception. The normal
    situation is that car owners use their cars. This suggests that a more realistic strategy

To carry this argument to its full conclusion, we should just examine men - i.e. focus
    on the male breadwinner's journey to work.
    may well be to discourage car ownership in the first place. Both objectives can be
    tackled by the same means: high quality public transport and a land use policy that
    enables people to live within reach of their workplaces.
    The interaction of both means can be clearly seen in the most 'negative' case. In
    working class suburban Dublin 92% of all car owners use their car to get to work.
    This area of Dublin it will be recalled has the lowest level of car ownership in the
    study. Normally low car ownership is associated with low car usage - since the same
    factors that make it unnecessary for people to buy a car also allow those with a car not
    to use it. However, in working class suburban areas like Dublin's Jobstown low car
    ownership is largely because of lack of resources: those who can afford a car will use
    it. The ethnographic study and the focus groups strongly suggest that those who do
    have cars in this area can get access to employment which non-car owners literally
    cannot reach. This is one of the clearest examples of the way in which car
    dependency at the city level imposes particular pressures on those with the least
    resources.
    4.5 Getting around
    We have already stressed that travel to work comprises a decreasing proportion of
    total travel. Another important regular journey is the journey to school. In many
    cities this is known to have a significant impact on the level of traffic. In the UK
    children are far more likely to be driven to school than was the case even ten year's
    ago, and the major cause appears to be parents' concerns about safety. However,
    public policy in many cities is attempting to reduce this trend. In Dublin for example,
    there is currently (autumn 1999) a 'Safe Walk to School' campaign which focuses on
    making it safer for children to walk to school.
    The survey collected information on journey to school separately for children at
    kindergarten, primary and secondary schools. Analysis of the information for primary
    school shows that overall children are far more likely to travel to school by non-
    mechanised transport (walking, cycling) than their parents are likely to travel to work
    by such means. Overall it is in the middle class areas that children are most likely to
    be taken to school by car, but the important exception is Helsinki, where despite high
    car ownership in the middle class area in particular, children continue to walk or cycle
    to school. The use of public transport is highly suggestive also. Public transport is
    used for this journey either where parents have no other option, as in working class
    Dublin, or where public transport is of very high quality as in middle class Helsinki.
    Only in working class Dublin, where a significant number of respondents with
    children do not have a car, does excluding these car-less households substantially
    increases the proportion using cars for this journey.
    The study also asked how people travelled for a range of different activities: various
    forms of shopping (small amounts of food, food for several days, clothes, electronic
    goods, DIY items), sociability (visiting relatives and friends in their own houses,
    meeting people in cafe, bar or restaurant, going to the organised entertainment) and
    medical facilities (hospital for emergencies or major surgery, doctor for general care).
    Looking at the respondents as a whole, this shows perhaps a rather lower level of car
    usage than one might expect. In most areas at least a substantial minority of people
    did not use the car for most activities. In these cities, despite widespread car
    ownership, most activities are carried out without using the car. Extremely high
    levels of car usage occur in middle class Dublin for shopping, and in middle class
    Athens for sociability and medical care. For all three types of activities, people use
    the car least in inner city Helsinki.. Restricting the analysis only to those households
    with a car obviously makes it more likely that people use the car for these journeys,
    but it remains the case that substantial minorities still use other means of transport,
    including quite frequently walking.
    Chart 4.6 Mode of travel: Shopping for food for several days
    Athens (W)
    Athens (M)
    Athens (I)
    Bologna (W)
    Bologna (M)
    Bologna (I)
    Dublin (W)
    Dublin (M)
    Dublin (I)
    Helsinki (W)
    Helsinki (M)
    Helsinki (I)
    1 own car 2 public transport 3 walk / cycle 4 other
    Base: All respondents, N=727
    Shopping for 'small amounts of food' is usually done on foot (or bicycle) and middle
    class Dublin is the only area where this falls below 50%. Accordingly, in most areas
    only about 10% of respondents use their car for this activity, but in middle class
    Dublin the proportion rises to 44% and in Helsinki it is still 30%. Working class
    Bologna is the only other area where the proportion is over 20%. By contrast,
    shopping for 'food for several days' usually involves some form of transport. Chart
    4.6 shows that fully 73% of all respondents reported using their own car for this in
    middle class Dublin, whereas at the other extreme this was the case for only 28% of
    respondents in inner city Helsinki. Here the contrasts between the working class
    areas are interesting. In Dublin virtually nobody reported making this journey on
    foot, and the proportion was only 16% in Bologna. By contrast, in the working class
    areas of both Athens and Helsinki it was over 50%. This is a clear case of constraint
    rather than choice: in the working class areas of Bologna and Dublin there are no
    supermarkets in walking distance of housing, so if there is no car available, people use
    public transport, taxi or some form of car sharing. Once again, those in working class
    suburban housing areas in car dependent Dublin are penalised for not having a car in
    way that does not occur elsewhere.
    4.6 Walking around
    In many cases the alternative to using the car is not to use public transport but to walk.
    A long tradition in critical urban planning (Jacobs, 1962) which is now the orthodox
    view suggests that curbing traffic restores the streets to pedestrians and recreates
    public space. From this perspective, the extent to which people walk around the area
    in which they live is a crude indicator of social cohesion.
    The survey therefore asked a series of questions about the 'walking quality' of the
    area, covering aspects of traffic pollution to personal safety and safety of children.
    Only an item to do with sociability ('If I walk around this area I nearly always meet
    someone I know') did not correlate strongly with the others, which were aggregated to
    create a scale. The box plot (Chart 4.7) shows how walking quality is higher (in
    terms of both low pollution and high personal safety) in all Helsinki areas compared
    to the comparable areas in other cities. It is noticeable that despite the resurgence of
    inner city living, walking around these areas is not seen as particularly pleasant or safe
    by their inhabitants. Indeed, inner city Bologna, praised by planners because of its
    restrictions on car usage, actually scores the lowest of all areas in terms of walking
    quality.
    Chart 4.8 focuses on the personal safety element of ‘walking quality’. It shows that in
    these terms inner city Bologna is seen as one of the worst areas. There is in fact a
    growing amount of anecdotal evidence to suggest that pedestrianisation of inner city
    areas can attract 'street people' whom the inhabitants find threatening (shortly after the
    survey was carried out, there was a much publicised murder in the Piazza Maggiore in
    the heart of Bologna's centro storico). By contrast, the lack of safety in working class
    Athens and Dublin areas shows a destruction of public space by some inhabitants
    themselves - in particular young males make others unwilling to use the streets.
    Chart 4.7 Walking quality by area
    484848525451989899495151N =
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    I)
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    M)
    H
    el
    si
    n
    ki
    (
    W)
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (I
    )
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (
    M)
    D
    u
    bl
    i
    n
    (
    W)
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (I
    )
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (
    M)
    B
    ol
    o
    g
    n
    a
    (
    W)
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (I
    )
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (
    M)
    At
    h
    e
    n
    s
    (
    W)
    W
    a
    lk
    in
    g
    Q
    ua
    li
    ty
    S
    ca
    le
    Base: All respondents
    Chart 4.8 Personal safety ('I personally feel safe from attack') by area
    0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100%
    Athens (W)
    Athens (M)
    Athens (I)
    Bologna (W)
    Bologna (M)
    Bologna (I)
    Dublin (W)
    Dublin (M)
    Dublin (I)
    Helsinki (W)
    Helsinki (M)
    Helsinki (I)
    Strongly agree Agree No view Disagree Strongly disagree
    Base: All respondents
    5. Conclusion
    One curious feature of contemporary sociology is its willful ignorance of the material
    world. At a time when income inequalities are widening, analysis of social class often
    appears an almost esoteric pursuit. Equ+ally, confronted by problems of global
    sustainability and environmental degradation, many sociologists seem to imagine that
    their only contribution is a sceptical sociology of knowledge. At a more mundane
    level, a sociological understanding of the role of cars in society is usually reduced to
    a concern with the cultural role of the car as status or sexual symbol. By contrast, this
    paper has attempted to explore one particular way in which a technology with
    negative environmental consequences is linked to social structure. Car dependency is
    not just an environmental issue, it is also a social issue. However, a final word of
    caution. This conjunction of environmental and social problems is in many ways
    fortuitous. Other techologies – or even the same technology in a different context –
    may well have beneficial social effects and negative environmental effects. The paper
    has merely argued that at the moment in Europe that does not apply to the car.
    Bibliography
    Apel, Deiter and Pharaoh, Tim (1995). Transport Concepts in European Cities.
    Aldershot: Avebury.
    Jacobs, Jane (1962). The Death and Life of Great American Cities. London:
    Jonathan Cape.
    Rogers, Richard (1997). Cities for a small planet. London: Faber & Faber.
    Whitelegg, John (1993). Transport for a sustainable future: the case for Europe.
    London: Belhaven Press.
    Williams, Robin (1995). 'Information Technology in Organisations'. Edinburgh,
    Research Centre for Social Sciences (Report to DGIII of the European Commission).
    Winner, Langdon (1980). 'Do Artefacts Have Politics?' Daedalus (Winter), pp.121-
    136. [reprinted in D. MacKenzie and J. Wajcman, The Social Shaping of Technology,
    pp. 26-37.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

successful man?

I think...that car-dependent land-use patterns promote
    anomie and create the malleable demographic. People
    living this way are compartmentalized inside their
    cars and are more likely to experience others through
    a TV screen than in person, and the closest thing to
    public space is a shopping mall. Without the
    back-and-forth of unmediated experience, this
    population has fewer opportunities to think critically
    and consider alternatives.
    Jym Dyer
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

Daniel Vasquez

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...l/16738758.htm

i cant believe this!
    does this mean this guy is going to walk away?
    at what point is this not disgusting?

sad
    just freaking sad
    this is what humanity has to show for itself?
    wow

no wonder i want to be a hobo
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Its tough to keep moving forward in this world...we see so much injustice, dishonesty, cruelty everyday. But move forward we must.

The drifter life is appealing.

Word.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Sand Surfer

And to think some question the pleasure of riding free on beaches?

Yessir, there are times where the vagabond's life can look mighty appealing. That, and Inspector Callahan's.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea!

Yeah D, most of us that ride in the area, and are also members, heck, there's even a post over in the Nor-Cal board,
    have now heard about Dan's passing. He was a cool and unique guy, he'll be missed.

I hope that justice finds it's path and things work out for the best.

Meanwhile, we all must "keep marching" on our path, into a new day.
    Full Poem: http://www.purelydreaming.com/?do=viewlit&lit=4636

Take Care Man!!

Devo
    this is kind of cool

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=HAtSQQaWJ- 0&eurl=http% 3A%2F%2Fpleasant revolutio
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    this is kind of cool

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=HAtSQQaWJ- 0&eurl=http% 3A%2F%2Fpleasant revolutio
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

Seaborn

www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Reality Check!

Seaborn claims he didn't realize he'd hit anyone YET THE VICTIM'S BICYCLE WAS FOUND IN HIS POSSESSION ?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

Hello, Monterey County prosecutor...is anyone home?

Nice work with the properly pious courtroom appearance. Surely he is a model good citizen and loves small animals.

Devo

what do you do when...

with all the funk going around.
    that is, i've been sick with the flu and a funky cough...
    then this whole thing with Daniel Vasquez goes up...
    my god...
    sometimes i just trip out.
    how can this be LIFE?
    anyways...
    so i decided to vent/direct some funky weird nervous/ill energy
    the outcome was to go thru the Pug, clean it up, inspect the wear, rotate tyres, and basically just give it a bunch of omage. pay my tribute so to speak. treat it nice, and go thru a working mediation of sorts, if you will, and repeat a ritual of bicycle maitenance that i've done countless times over, since i was a kid.

here is the result...
    O.D. green Pug properly cared for...
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

howitzer

cool old pic
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

ToC Stage 4

D, did you and Pugs catch the start up in Seaside? They finished less than a mile from my home in SLO, after averaging 27 mph over 132.6 miles!

For one day at least, bicycles ruled this town.

Devo
    very cool pic. looks like the Mission in the back ground.

i havent been out and about for about a week now. i've been fighting off the flu/cold/respiratory junk..etc.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

how to patch a tube?

so the Pug has had this annoying slow leak.
    first it took a couple of weeks, and i was thinking...lol...dude...it takes weeks for any noticable air to escape...forget it.
    then it became about a week...
    and then...i woke up and the tyre was flat
    dooohhh!
    i take the tube out...give it a once over...nothing
    and for 2 days it likes to go almost flat in about 8hrs...
    ok dude....you got to figure this out.
    one more time...pull it apart
    inspecting the valve stem...
    damn...
    its separating from the tube...
    its the kind of flat that typically cant be fixed.
    but its the Pug...uhhh...like dude...i just dont happen to have an extra Pug tube layin around. hmmm...well...if Eric over at Winning Wheels is smart, he'd have one in stock with my name on it. I cant wait...so i decided to ghetto rig it.
    the approach...
    Marine Goop and old road tube.
    we'll see if its holding air in the morning.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Nice.

Dude, you rule!

Devo
    if you aint ever used that stuff...
    it also is sold as "Household GOOP"
    and you can thin it with Toluene.
    the Goop is thick...squeeze some into a glass jar, add toluene, and stir with a metal stick. like an old spoke...and make sure you do all of this outside or in a well ventilated area. also you can add paint...like any Testor's model paint, and then you have this crazy adhesive/sealant.
    i mean...dude...you could put a cloth patch on your Zodiac inflatable boat and paint over it with clear Marine goop, and add layers as needed. it flexes all crazy, and will virtually never come off.
    ever have a nice old saddle start to unglue/unravel from underneath...like the way they like to do after a year or two, especially once they get a good solid winter exposed to the underside...well...GOOP is your hero on this one too. just re-glue the edges into place.

uhh...
    so you can use Goop for other things too
    like...that is how i glued my Cars-R-Coffins patch to my messanger bag
    also a big ol strip of reflective Scotch Brite

btw...
    i read once b4 that drunks are lured to red lights
    they often fixate on the tail lights ahead...
    so on a bike...a red light...one of those little red blinkie types...
    well...my fear is that they are like "Drunk Lures"
    they fixate on them...Target lock
    and next thing you know....ka-blam-o
    so i use a big-ol AA powered white vista light
    officially according to DOT white is for the front
    and red is the only legal rear tail light...
    but that big white flashing light is noticable
    and there is something to be said about any reflectors that move around
    like reflective tape on wheels, etc
    on the messanger bag, its the scotch brite swewed into the straps

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    the Townie life is driving me crazy. I can hardly believe that this is The Life. Just today im sitting in a staff meeting with these huge bayview windows peering thru the swaying pines, with the Monterey Bay crecent shape a void of sorts, at the distance its a blue flat spot.
    I can see the Monterey Beach Hotel, and i find it so weird that near to that spot is a monument dedicated to the Portola Expedition.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portola_expedition
    and to think that this area was home of some 10,000 native americans
    a group that we commonly refer to as The Ohlone.
    see The Ohlone Way
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohlone
    in about 300 years this is what we've come to
    gone are the days where life was natural
    and can you imagine all the piddly junk that goes thru our heads on a daily basis...
    its insane
    all these silly concerns, and what of it all?
    the Ohlone would simply move from the cost to the hills, following the seasonal foods.
    Abalone where plentiful on the rocks, and all you had to do was pry one loose.
    no cars
    no houses
    no jobs
    no electricity
    but then again, the average lifespan was about 40yrs.
    40yrs of pure nature
    these days we've enslaved our selves
    paying the mortage, car payments, healthcare costs, the list goes on
    we work our days away

in the background a roundtable conversation so to speak, therapeutic dosing, rates of infusion, duration of therapy, etc....
    my mind fights the battle and to resist the nuances of the whole notion
    my point...i better get out there an live my life before its too late.
    and suddenly the grasp of Civilization will hold me fast
    all those protocols will soon to be upon my horizons, and all that will be left of a free life will be just a book, to read, as i'd pass my days in doors, watching the sway of pine boughs.
    not too much different than the way things are now.
    the only difference will be that i'd be the reciever of those medications.
    and glad to have them too, i assume.

so for now, as the call of out of doors and the beckon of a life as free as i can manage pulls at my heart strings, eBay away my life is a moto that is growing stronger and stronger every day.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Colnago-Bititan-...QQcmdZViewItem
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    *bump*

Spooooon!
    Devo are you OK? Haven't heard much from you lately. Your probably out on the ramble again.

Devo
    thanks for asking...

things are fine
    just working a ton
    saving the $'s
    pretty much i feel like i've said all that i've got to say

i'm still on the bike every day
    gettin in about 3hrs a day, and the bike parts seem to be wearing out more and more
    so i've been rotating tyres, canibalizing brake pads, and simply swapping bikes.
    I want to put a new drive train on the Pug, but waiting for the Surly cranks

it seems that summer is fast upon us...
    i wonder what happened to the rain?
    or have i become that accustomed to what it was
    for the most part the ground is now hard pack
    the tracks i laid in the wet have set in clay
    the ravens are flocking these days
    it seems that spring chicks and eggs are the feast
    as those early morning murders swoop along

the other day, im sitting on my steps, reading a book a buddy gave me
    "Monkey" folk novel of China by WU CH'ENG-EN translated by Arthur Waley
    when a squirl decides to visit
    we chat a bit
    and it comes to sit along my side, while i pet it for awhile
    curious as to what im reading
    so i read aloud
    the story or my voice seems to entertain it a bit
    shortly after...its upon a hand rail, when a raven swoops past
    Squirl stands upon 2 legs
    stares into the distance...
    and to my surprise...
    holds up a fist!
    perhaps 10seconds past as it stood in this posture

and to think that most run mad in our daily lives
    engaged with a mind of utility function
    work, paybills, wash dishes, laundry, plan for retirement, etc
    we scramble to our cars
    while hawks screech above, coaxing their young from the nest
    a passer by says to me, "what are you staring at?"
    those hawks high above of course

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    OK guys, how do you change the tires on the Large Marge's? My adult son and I could not seat the bead enough on a WTB monster tire to get the tire on. We broke multiple tools, including a specialty mounting tool, in addition to a drumstick. We both had bloody knuckles and he wacked himself in the face when one of the tools broke. I've replaced dozens of "regular" tires without a problem. I feel like half a man.

Larry

Devo
    The thing is with LM rims is that they are shaped like a valley. so the thing to do is to PUSH the bead of the tyre off of the bead of the rim, and into the middle of the rim (the valley).
    do this on both sides.
    now that the tyre (bead) is in the "valley" there is more room.
    cuz...the outside diameter of the valley is much less than the outside diameter of the rim bead.

anyways...
    with the tyre in the valley of the rim, it gives you plenty of room to now take the bead of the tyre off the rim.
    you can do all of this with NO TOOLS.
    once you learn it, you'll be amazed at how easy it is.
    crazy easy.

i also use plenty if talc around the tyres. (baby powder)
    you know...just coat the inside of the tyre, i also get plenty of talc on the tube
    that way the tyre doesnt stick to the tube
    which makes everything even that much more easy
    almost....SLICK

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Spooooon!
    Glad to hear that you are still out there. Keep those big wheels rollin'.

Devo
    i had to laff the other day...
    here i am living in this old hay loft with all these bikes
    the Car Free life
    and yet there is this condition that allows us to carry junk with us all the time...
    so it goes with the bike
    the challenge is to figure out how to carry the junk
    the mind of a backpacker comes to the front
    asking, "why do i want to carry THAT?"
    do i really need it?

and i laff
    cuz all this time, with trailers, panniers, Xtracycle, messenger bags...
    it comes to the messenger bag

mostly the Xtracycle sits
    for the last month or so i had been on my Salsa Moto Rapido, only using my messenger bag.
    once i pulled the BOB for logistics
    but really...

to simplify i guess is to live your life with a messenger bag and a bike
    lol
    i had thought to myself how crazy i am...
    an XTRACYCLE of all things...
    a trailer...too crazy
    and the craziest of it all, is that at certain times, i actually do need to use things like that.
    but overall...i guess i can get away with just the Kremlin on my back.
    its gold and huge.
    it can carry more than i care to put on my back.

tonight i cleaned up the Pug, put the panniers and racks back on...
    the lure of those crazy Gucci saddle bags is beyond yuppie
    there is something so cool about not wearing anything on your back
    and to throw just about anything you care to lug around into the panniers
    then just click them off, walk into work...

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Brah, I can definitely sympathize. I look around the condo and think that I could do without a lot of the stuff I have. Bikes, gear, furniture, etc. Anything that isn't absolutely necessary seems excessive. But then I go and buy some new riding gear - goggles, moto boots, armor. What am I doing? A conversion van? I must have really lost my mind. No, I am following my passion.

Keep on keepin on man. You are an inspiration to us all. I took my Xtracycle to the store today to get my groceries. We are liberated!

Devo
    you'd never guess what i did today...
    today was the good old days parade here in PG
    and there was a little group for "sustainable PG"
    they asked me to ride in the parade, being that im a no car guy
    ok...cool...

so im at this parade and im watching all the kids, etc
    up in front of us a few, is a group of kids, all girls, that are doing some kind of chorographed line dance/drill and ceremony/cheerleading kind of thing.
    when i watch...
    those kids have no buisness making those kinds of moves.
    holy smokes!
    way too young to be movin like that

obviously im turning into an old man, and seeing the impact mass media has on our society pretty much disgusts me.

im at work tonight, and all the junk that humanity has, pours out
    its obvious that we just dont know what we are doing
    how to live
    how to treat each other
    how to treat our environment
    much less how to treat ourselves

at the end of my day...
    im on the Pug and its late night
    the drizzle is coming down
    cars slowly roll past
    the flash of the Vega headlight strobing thru the drops
    Little Feat going thru my head
    lyrics pour from my childhood
    the mood seems just about right

Lowell George
    I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
    I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still, willin'
    Out on the road late at night, Seen my pretty Alice in every head light
    Alice, Dallas Alice

I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
    Tehachapi to Tonapah
    Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
    Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
    And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
    and you show me a sign
    I'll be willin', to be movin'

I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
    Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet and I'm still... willin'
    Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
    baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico, and I'm still

And I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
    Tehachapi to Tonapah
    Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
    Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
    And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
    and you show me a sign
    I'll be willin', to be movin
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    Check this out.
    Ok…so I work 10 days per pay period (14 day pay period)
    There are 26 pay periods per year
    10 x 26 = 260 days of work/year
    I haven’t had a car for the last 2.5yrs
    260 x 2.5 = 650 times I’ve ridden to work in the last 2.5yrs
    From my house to work it’s about 700ft of elevation gain
    700 x 650 = 455,000ft of elevation gain (almost ½ million feet)

Wow…numbers trip me out.
    Everest is 29,000ft
    455,000/29,000 = 15.6 times
    455,000/5,280 (1mile) = 86 miles of elevation gain

Just getting to work over the last 2.5yrs, the elevation gain is about equivalent to climbing Everest 15.6 times.
    Well…riding a bike up Holman Hwy 650 times is nothing like Everest, altho there are O2 canisters at work.

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

SlowJoe
    Riding up Holman Hwy is no joke on that bike . I'm sure you don't need any coffee to help you wake up after that ride .

Devo

sometimes i loose track of time...

over the last day I've been going thru my mind over and over...
    has it really been 2.5yrs without a car?
    somehow, that figure "650" times up the hill just to get to work...
    the 455,000ft of gain...
    it just doesnt seem possible.
    not to mention all the regular rides, etc...
    i've been in my job for over 13yrs now
    I'd say that I've ridden my bike to work over 90% of the time
    its just mega miles
    massive hills, etc
    i remember when i was into doin 24hr solo races
    and the course(s) would have about 1600ft/lap of gain
    i'd get in about 12 laps or so = about 19,000 of climbing
    and god only knows what I've really climbed over the last 2.5yrs.

so I'm rumaging thru my mind, thinking that none of this is factual.
    and im thinking...dude...all of it is just way too crazy. no way
    im going back thru this thread, and sure enough, I've been on the Pug since 10/05
    holy smokes
    time just flies by.

I was eating Mexi food over at Taqueria Del Mar one night
    and i say to the lady that works there, "I remember when there was a counter on that wall."
    she looks at me and says..."next month (May) it will be 20yrs."
    i cant believe that i've been eating burritos at the same place for 20yrs!

I remember when I first got the Pug
    in my mind, I'm sayin to myself things like...
    "Ok cool...its like when you were a kid 11 or 12 years old and you had a Schwinn 5sp cruiser."
    just the heft of the Pug, getting it up and down the stairs every day, reminds me of being that little kid wrestling a cruiser with generator light and rack
    as an adult with some athletic experiece and a daily "bike practice", the miles set in...
    i distinctly remember for about the first week or so, every time I'd take the Pug out, at the end of the day, I'd just pass out. SLEEP
    I was exhausted. and i'd just laff about it

this past winter, i never even got cold
    the Pug is so big, that you never get cold. just go up hill...instant heater.

yesterday (saturday) and last tuesday, I took the Pug out with some roadies with VCM, goin out thru Ft. Ord on Tues, and Sat was thru PB.
    group road ride on a Pug
    its fun
    its amazing that i can actually even ride it in a group
    its a monster
    yet at times its truely amazing
    its about all that mass
    the momentum it carries
    and the ability to corner so well
    those huge tyres just provide massive grip
    a twisty descent with bad pave, on the Pug, you eat this kind of stuff up
    the girls on road bikes love to sit behind and use the draft
    they say its good, mega draft
    sometimes someone will call out, "car back" as the Pug tyres have caught their attention...
    only to laff as i'm rotating thru in the pace line

its truely an amazing machine
    its in bad need of a new drivetrain
    I've been waiting for the new Surly Mr. Whirly cranks, cuz i'd like to get rid of that mega DH BB and use the outboard bearing set up, but im not sure if i'll wait
    maybe i will go ahead and get stuff. it looks like the Surly cranks are sans chainrings anyway...so i guess if i buy a new drivetrain, the chainrings will swap over.

this winter im 39
    as the days go past up at work, the topic of personal health, and quality of life often comes up.
    its the big question that we all carry around.
    that is...
    "what is this life im living?"
    lately i've been getting all these complements about my health, simple life, and seemingly voluntary effort in my circumstance(s).
    in that light, i'm so greatful to have found that the bottom bracket is in fact the center of my universe.
    just yesterday someone was telling me of their prior life in Illinois where they drove an hour every day to get to work. they had to pay for parking, the gas, the new car, the insurance, and of course the life that ensued, which was work, driving, and eating from fast food. life was from box to box, and the pay was check to check. week after week, year after year, etc
    when i see that car leasing is on the rise, it concerns me.
    my suspicion is that the tactic is to lure with cheaper monthly payments or something along those lines. maybe a nicer car for x amount of $
    my co-workers say that in the news it said to expect gas over $4gal by the end of summer.
    as i think about the $ people devote every month to their cars, and the life secondary to the bondage of cars...
    at $4/gal, and the rise of car payments, etc...i honestly wonder to what degree will our nation be imprissioned, sitting at home, not affording transport, a life, and yet paying with sweat and $.
    for me its a sad vision
    the vision that we as a culture, our collective efforts, have lead us to this condition.
    everyday i honestly believe that im living my ideal life
    that being that i can ride my bike to work
    and i can even choose to ride a bunch of dirt on the way there.
    a place to live, wage, and lifestyle that allows me to actually save money
    its a simple life that is calm and tranquil, only life at work is the chaos...that is the nature of that job, and perhaps that is the nature of humanity.

i look around and see a lot of really nice bikes out there these days
    lots of new faces in our community
    VCM (the local club) is getting pretty big
    to the extent that there are actually now, 3 groups, 7a, 730a, and 8a for the Saturday Morning Ride.
    cycling is pretty large these days.
    i have to confess that i'd sit in the back of my mind, and kind of elvaluate these people. i'd look at them, listen to their speech, the way they ride, and i ask myself if this is a person that would possibly incorporate the bike into their daily lives.
    a couple of Tuesdays ago, one of the girls pulls up on her Calfe road bike with a rack on the back, and i say to her, "thats great! as my dad would say...you've now taken that bike and made it useful." lol

so i leave you with a couple of pics
    a parking lot off of Lighthouse Ave in PG during Good Old Days, filled with bikes

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

blinkies, lights, tyres...

i finally broke down and bought a new Light and Motion ARC Li-ion
    and wow, its so crazy bright
    there is something about that crazy purple(ish) light
    i see things at night that i've never seen during the day

back in the day Light and Motion use to give me stuff when i was doin some 24hr Solo racing, and its only been in the last year or so that my Cabeza finally took up the ghost. of all things the cable frayed open at the back of the light. Oh well...new light now

i've been using a Vega for the last 2.5yrs and its great. I've never had one issue with it.
    even when i was knocked down by that passing mini van, the Vega slid across the pave a bit, leaving it with a few scratches, but its always worked.

I read that they have a new LED setup, Stella, that is due to come to market this fall. I hope that i can simply plug it into the new Li-ion battery that comes with the ARC.

on the topic of commuting and lights, i'd like to re-emphasize the importance of being seen. so i like to use a VistaLite WHITE blinkie. I had once read somewhere that drivers in general tend to fixate on the tail lights ahead. So by using a WHITE blinkie for the rear it grabs drivers attention, instead of acting like some kind of tractor beam.

here are a couple of pics of the Pug from today. the tyres are wearing quite well. I've only had to replace 1 tyre since 10/05. they've seen lots of miles, and a wide range of use.
    I've also just now replaced the EBC Gold brake pads.
    a new drive train should be soon.
    i need to not be such a tight wad on this kind of stuff.
    but the new ARC, disc brakes for the Salsa, and a few other small items has set me back almost a cool $1K

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    I like your thinking, but you would get a ticket riding with a rear-facing white light in New Zealand. They might tolerate it if you put a "blue" or "green" gel under the lens.

Devo
    technically speaking
    as far as i know
    according to DOT (department of transportation), here in the US a white tail light is not legal.
    VistaLite sells it as a front light.
    and as i remember, some time back, some bicycle group tried to get DOT to change the laws.
    but for now, i get away with it, along with a handful of other things

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    night ride, not what i had imagined...

so tonight i decide im gonna hit the beach after dark, and check out the scene/get a ride in.
    as it turns out...
    its 53F, windy, and the tide is on the rise
    i ride anyway...
    being that is what i do anyways...ride
    it gets dark somewhere around 830p
    that is...its dark enough then to use a light
    the beach is pretty much empty...
    what did i expect?
    people, warm weather, music, food?
    wait....uhhh...dude?
    i think that is Mexico that is in your mind...
    right...
    Monterey is nothing but cold
    the people that are on the beach...
    well...it seems pretty weird
    likely illicit activity
    so i get a kick off of using my new HID light
    like they dont see me coming a mile away anyways...
    so im surprised when they act surprised

with the weather being what it is...
    and being the middle of the week...
    as i chit chat with some local bikies i happen to know...
    i realize that there is this social person in me that is wanting to get out
    but where are the Buddhist girls on bikes?
    where is the simple life?
    (sigh)
    same old America
    I came across a girl in a tank top dropping coins into the parking meter...
    she gave me no notice, until she spotted the tyres on the Pug
    the classic line goes like this...
    Girl: "wow...those are the biggest tires i've ever seen on a bike."
    Devo: "ya...its a lot of rubber."

its the typical banter...i dont know what to make of it, other than simple chit chat

earlier i rode my Salsa with BOB trailer, as i had to make it up to work for a meeting
    new Avid BB7's hadnt yet been broken in
    so it was an easy, premeditated venture
    with BOB in tow, it was to the grocery store after the meeting.
    loading up...i have no real idea of what i hauled. less than 100lbs, more than 50

the ride before work was a good solid 1.5hrs at a decent effort, hills, and just in the nick of time to clock in.
    then i just realized that tonights little ramble around town was a good 2.5hrs

so there you go...
    4hr bike day
    Devo style...
    no goal...
    just go out and have fun.

new found vice of the day?
    uhh...
    Virgil's Rootbeer from Trader Joe's

peace....d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Is that really morphine?

Devo
    ya...for reals empty jar. it used to have 25gms. the other jar is Marinol 5mg. also empty.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

thank my lucky stars...

today i say, "thank my lucky stars"

as the money piles up
    as the simple life settles in
    as the tranquility soothes my bones
    the miles roll by
    and im happy to call this place home

daily life on the bike
    is just like its always been
    like when i was a kid and i learned i could just ride across town
    or ride to the beach
    and hang out with new people
    or just to be in a new scene
    i often stop to realize just how far i've become removed from the norm
    Devo and his bike
    on his typical solo ramble around who knows...

i do know this tho
    im greatful for the ability to do as such
    and im greatful for the environment i was fortunate enough to stumble upon
    im greatful for the set of circumstances that i live
    im greatful to have small town streets that are hardly busy
    im greatful to ride to work during off peak commute times

as the years fade away
    as the miles pile up
    it seems that recently more focus on Bike Life is coming into view
    new Staff Locker Room is soon to open, complete with showers
    along with yet another set of bike lockers to boot

Im greatful for the job i have, a karmic chance to increase one's field of merritt
    the immediate environ out of those doors, just as it is from my doorstep
    the locale is prime for cycling
    even in the rainy days, its really not that bad...actually i like it

today was yet another staff meeting
    and luckily for me i was allowed to clock out, and head home
    as compared to sticking around for yet more OT and work
    i rolled my happy butt along side of everyone else in their cars...
    stopped at the lights...
    rode back into PG
    bunny hop curbs
    do wheelies for kids
    they say "whoa!"
    chit chat at the bike shop (Winning Wheels)
    Im amazed to think back thru the years
    grab a soda at PG Liquiors
    and roll home...

nothing exciting today...
    laundry, dinner, rest, and get ready for another 10day stretch of work
    those days too will melt past
    just as the rest have
    mile after mile
    hill after hill
    the tyres grind into the ground
    the drivetrain wears away
    my shorts pill, rip, and fade
    the salt builds up in my shoes
    the trash piles up
    wash clothes, eat food, ride bike, work, sleep and all that is in between

this townie life is as if some kind of apparatus
    an obsticle
    a piece of equipment
    a condition for sure
    a place to find that peace of mind
    these days...im pretty well contented

so i leave you with a few pics of my commute to work today...
    what do i have to complain about?
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

more of the same...

more of the same...
    commute to work scenery
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    I've never seen bike lockers like that before. Those are really cool!
    That is the best commute I have ever seen. Makes me long to ride in the woods again.
    Thanks for the pictures!

Devo
    ya...
    those are cool lockers
    BUT...
    as it is...
    uhhh....my seat actually presses against the door when i close it.
    i guess thats cool...it like the perfect fit
    im 5'10"....i can imagine that a person, say 6', on a MTB, maybe the door wouldnt close.
    anyways.,,kind of cool bike lockers
    they have taken a bit of a beating, getting hit by cars and all...figures huh?

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Better the locker than the bike getting hit, right?
    QR seatpost, problem solved, although I guess that would get a bit annoying.
    I ride DH bikes, so my sleat is slammed anyways.
    I definitely can't complain, my office lets me bring my bike in and store it in an empty cubicle. Putting it in the elevator to get it to the 3rd floor is difficult sometimes though. I've tried carrying it up the stairs, but people don't pay attention when they are coming down, so they almost walk right into me.

mtbr member
    Sigh... D, to find and attract a buddhist on a bike, you might want to think about becoming a buddhist. Don't leave you morphine bottles laying around.

Devo
    lol
    you funny girl
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    Devo life wouldnt be devo if there wasnt a bit of Civil Disobedience in daily life.

so it goes like this.
    the Monterey Bay has become a Marine Sanctuary some time back, so of course now there is some fed money out there for various things.

God knows i love TAMC (Transportation Agency of Monterey County), as they are our friends with Big Brother.

last evening TAMC reveald a bike path plan.
    here is the article out of the Monterey Herald

Trail plan displayed
    Path goes from P.G. to Pajaro
    By KEVIN HOWE
    Herald Staff Writer
    Monterey County Herald
    Article Last Updated:05/04/ 2007 08:40:29 AM PDT

Details of a three-phase, 20-year, $27 million walking and biking
    trail system from Pacific Grove to Pajaro were displayed Thursday by
    the Transportation Agency for Monterey County at Castroville Public
    Library.
    The Monterey Bay Sanctuary Scenic Trail is planned as a continuous
    coastal trail system between Pacific Grove and the Santa Cruz County
    line.

The master plan includes bicycle and pedestrian trail routes that are
    already in place and development of new trail segments.

It is intended to provide access to, and promote appreciation of, the
    Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and to serve as a regional
    transportation alternative to the automobile.

The project is divided into 17 segments. Maps showing existing trail
    routes, future routes and alternatives prepared for TAMC by
    consulting firm Alta Planning and Design, along with summaries of
    project details, were arranged in the library meeting room. Alta and
    TAMC staff members were on hand to answer questions. Written comments
    from visitors were collected.

The draft plan calls for an initial $5.2 million project over the
    next five years to improve the existing trail segments in Monterey
    and Seaside; connection of a gap in the trail from Tioga Avenue to
    north of La Playa Avenue in Sand City; completion of trails at Fort
    Ord State Park to Marina State Beach; and completion of trail
    projects in Moss Landing, including a bridge across Elkhorn Slough.

The second phase, estimated to cost $14 million, calls for completing
    a paved scenic trail from north of Marina and across the Salinas
    River, connecting to the Moss Landing segment of the trail to the
    McGowan-Thurwatchte r Road bridge over the Pajaro River.

Several alternatives for crossing the Salinas River include using the
    existing railroad bridge, the existing two-lane highway bridge, or
    building a separate bridge for the trail, said Alta planner Loren
    Buckland.

Use of the railroad bridge, she said, would not preclude eventual
    restoration of rail service on the old Del Monte Express tracks.

The final trail project phase would involve completion of an unpaved
    trail between Marina State Beach and Moss Landing, with the cost
    estimated at $7.9 million.

While the plan calls for avoiding, where possible, acquisition of
    private land for the trail, the $27.1 million estimated cost includes
    $9 million for land acquisition, according to the draft plan, which
    notes that this cost could vary with changes in land values.

The transportation agency is expected to consider approval of the
    scenic trail plan at its Aug. 26 meeting, said Debbie Hale of TAMC.
    An environmental analysis in compliance with state and federal
    environmental laws, and permits from the Army Corps of Engineers,
    U.S. Coast Guard, state Department of Transportation and the state
    Coastal Commission, among others, would have to be secured.

Kevin Howe can be reached at 646-4416 or khowe@montereyheral d.com.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is my 2cents on the topic/tangent

so this is what i wrote for VCM/TAMC today.

I dig the effort of TAMC and the proposal for the new bike path.
    i guess what we can look foward to in the close future is the change in the bike path behind Costco, and the use of the old Beach Range Rd. on Ft. Ord.
    that is super cool. we all know how awkward it is on Tioga Ave. maybe the bike path will simply not cross the bridge over HWY1, instead simply stay on the ocean side of the freeway.
    Ft. Ord Beach Range road couldnt be opened up soon enough.

I'm thinking that the $27million over 20yrs has something to do with the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary. that being, money is allocated on a federal level. Cycling as a recreation has an environmental/tourist/financial potential for growth.
    with REI moving into Ft. Ord, what more validation is there?

my concern is of the immediate locale
    that is...
    bikes are good in daily life commuting to work, around 10 miles or so.
    i cant remember the last time i rode to SC.
    but i do know when i last went to Trader Joes, etc
    where is the bike path on Forest Ave, Freemont Blvd, Casa Verde, etc..
    obviously Forest Ave is too narrow at some places
    my point is that it seems to me that in our collective American Mind we objectify the bike. we wedge it into the corner with all of the other sporting goods. i love that bikes are so popular, but so many are uptop a car on the way to Tahoe, etc.

when i see money (aka energy) being devoted to projects like the Monterey Bay Scenic Bike Path (dare i put a name on it?) it worries me because the bicycle is so much more than a piece of Recreational Sporting Good. A person shouldnt have to be an athlete and have an expensive bike to enjoy "The Bike Life". Bikes are mostly good for about 10 miles radius of a person's residence.
    while gas is on the rise, and the economy being as it is, wouldnt it be nice to see our immediate surroundings becoming more bicycle friendly for the "average person". How i'd love to see kids riding their bikes to school, to the beach, etc. Mom and Dads too...
    leave the car in the driveway...
    ride your bike around town...

peace...d

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." H.G. Wells
    http://web.mac.com/asanacycles/iWeb/...s/Welcome.html
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    lately I've been on a bit of a social spree
    I've been going out on group road rides with the Pug
    and doin a bunch of chit chat with my fellow bikies here in town
    im always amazed with road bikes
    so i decided to take mine out yesterday, and head up to work
    wow...
    what a crazy thing a road bike is
    i put it back on the rack
    it almost frightens me
    a buddy has broken all kinds of road bike parts
    face plate for the stem
    frame broke at the BB
    twisted a pedal spindle in the crank arm
    broke off a handle bar
    BB bearings start grinding away
    straight up just pulled out a set of spokes from a DT Swiss wheel set
    chains snap
    etc
    its all catostrophic failure
    and he's lucky to have not been hurt

with the Pug, the bike is solid enough that i dont worry about these things too much
    a solid dependable bike is what i appreciate these days

at 160lbs i dont condisder myself a big guy
    even my old Cdale F900 the rear stays would flex in some turns on the road, to the point where i'd hear and feel the rear deraileur cable rub against the WTB Mutano Raptors.
    same holds true with my Salsa Moto Rapido, but not as much

so todays theme is Reliability, and Safety.

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Spooooon!
    I just read this article in the Christian Science Monitor about the reduction in automobile proliferation in selected cities - made me think about you . . . it's mainly about recreation, but it's a start. Carless

Devo
    i love it!

today's song of choice that streams thru my brain

Modest Mouse, Interestate 8

Spent 18 hours waiting stoned for space
    I spent the same 18 hours in the same damn place
    I'm on a road shaped like a figure 8
    I'm going nowhere, but I'm guaranteed to be late
    You go out like a riptide
    You know that ball has no sides
    You're an angel with an amber halo
    Black hair and the devil's pitchfork
    Wind-up anger with the endless view of
    The ground's colorful patchwork
    How have you been? [x2]
    How have you? [x2]
    I drove around for hours, I drove around for days
    I drove around for months and years and never went no place
    We're on a pass, we're on pass
    I stopped for gas, but where could place be
    To pay for gas to drive around
    Around the Interstate 8
    You go out like a riptide
    You know that ball has no sides
    You're an angel with an amber halo
    Black hair and the devil's pitchfork
    Wind-up anger with the endless view of
    The ground's colorful patchwork
    How have you been? [x2]
    How have you? [x2]
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    the house at work has been going thru major construction over the years...
    so there is this model of the facility under a plexi-glass dome placed for the public to view, right there at the Fountain Court.
    a young dad is holding his little girl up, maybe 3yrs old, and she is pointing out and saying the names of the things she can identify...
    tree
    car
    road
    grass
    and she says, "i like the grass, not cars"
    as im passing by, the dad had picked up that i had noticed them, and i say, "she is so smart"
    i smiled and kept on my way...
    some days, there are these moments of hope
    it seems that intuitively we as humans know something about life and how we interact with the world.
    its a secondary learning that brings us to value a car more than the grass...

on another topic
    but along the same tangent...
    i read in the Californian (Salinas based news paper) that a Condor was found dead at Pinnacles National Monument. http://www.californianonline.com/app...EWS01/70514008
    so im on this Condor kick so to speak
    and im all into YouTube to find the vids
    of course there are a ton
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&v=mp35i8Eylmo
    but i especially dig this vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR49mqmPo9A&NR=1

this vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N6b364bE60
    at first i kept thinking that people were mistaking the common Turkey Vulture for a Condor, but as much as i tell, it does infact seem to be a Condor. WOW!

at times where we've spent $600 billion in Iraq
    at times where it seems to me that we have lost touch with reality...
    what did Thoreau say?
    something like...
    "what remains after all this activity? (refering to man's industry)
    "Nature. Nature is what remains."
    im sure I've hacked the quote, but you get my gist

and this guy is super cool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp35i8Eylmo
    obviously he's reading a script
    but to stop and put the time and energy into reading something out...
    that is rare!

as this is May, Clean Air Month
    and here in Monterey County this week is Bike to Work Week...
    ironically these 4 days im off of work
    lol
    perhaps i'll sit on the bike path and mooch muffins in the am...
    make face with TAMC, etc...

it seems that i've been more tired than i had thought...
    the day i let melt past, as i dozed away...
    something about riding the Pug with VCM (Velo Club Monterey) thru Pebble Beach on the Saturday Morning Ride (SMR), and my increasing time/efforts has put me on edge with that familiar threshold of exhaustion.

the front page of the Californian has a pic of the crit from the weekend...
    sport...
    its ok i guess
    but you know, i have some serious ethical concerns
    when we look at professional cycling...
    all the dopping, i.e. Basso, Hamilton, etc...
    and sport in general...
    this mentality is more than likely the most formidable obsticle within the realm of cycling, that is...to bring cycling and nature to the forefront of our lives.
    when we engage in this competive spirit, consumerism, racing, the "A" type personality is quick to rise. the Ego.
    not that sport is bad
    bcz thru sport we learn cohesiveness, discipline, and our personal limits, to name a few.

Saturday as i was heading up to work, again...up the hill, as i had already done so on the Pug at roadie pace, this time, the day had yeild a sunny moment...
    high above a hawk shrieks, its cries, i delight
    a pinpoint in the sky
    circling, wings and tail spread wide, its silhoutte easy to make out...
    it folds its wings back..
    this is my favorite part
    a screaming dive!
    into the forest thru the tree tops
    a high speed fly by
    a nest at the bottom of its parabolic flight
    a show off!
    im so envious!
    shear speed and grace
    and of little effort
    to be at one with reality

the trick is to keep notice of those hawk nests
    and when you hear them high above, make your way quickly to view the show
    as this particular moment flashed by
    it streaked across a small clearing, a gap in the tree tops, maybe 20ft wide
    and im sure more than 100mph

i track stand below
    in awe
    on the way to work...
    similar to the condor chick still in its shell...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR49mqmPo9A
    i too...
    living a Townie life
    bound to economy, industry, etc
    moments of nature tug my heart strings...
    those feelings must be similar to the grunts of a hatchling
    waiting to take flight...
    en la Ventana
    along the cliffs of Big Sur
    in the Big South
    on the edge of western civiliztion
    where Big Blue sparkles like diamonds in the sun...

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Reminds me of something...

(from The Dark Crystal)

I'd love to see one flying, but man, that thing is ugly up close...

Devo
    The Dark Crystal, and Time Bandits
    classic
    ------------------------------------------------

check out the Big Sur Chamber of Commerce website.
    http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/condors.html

attention the PBS vid.
    http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/view/93
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    not much new here this week

here's some Devo Irony...
    its Bike to Work Week
    and im off from work.
    lol
    Friday i return to duty
    pretty laffs if you ask me
    but what else would it be
    me in my devo ways...

so last evening there was this Ride of Silence
    a ride in memory of those who have fallen
    its a drag
    Brad Hanson
    Daniel Vasquez
    both i didnt know
    attending Brad's memorial i was amazed to the extent that has to be gone thru in order to get something as simple as a guard rail put into place.
    Brad from what i've come to know was on his bike a lot, and a bit of an outsider, so to speak.
    you know...
    in our little subculture of a world that is cycling
    its easy for an outsider to say, "oh, they are a cyclist", but we all know the mad array of pigeon holes we get wedged into.
    From what i know...
    it seems to me
    that Brad and Daniel were those of the flock outside the norm

i can identify

The Ride of Silence was an officially sanctioned event
    part of Bike to Work Week
    and part of May, Clean Air Month

as i had no expectations
    other than i'd probably find peeps i know
    and to hear what the speech was going to be
    the group of cyclists was a wide cross section
    a couple of roadies, in full roadie garb
    parents and kids
    commuters
    and those who identify with the cycling lifestyle

on the way home i was chit chatting with a buddy
    whom i havent had much of a chance to hang out with for some time
    a few brief moments to blab away, in free-format form, about life, and bikes of course
    ernie breaks off, i continue my way to PG

i spot a group on cruisers, Rat Fink style, etc
    i know a couple of them, so i FLY into the back of the group
    Pug tyres with full brake, howling, grinding into the pave

one of the guys i've known for quite some time, as he's a wrench at one of the LBS's
    another i've known thru ink
    the others im just inviting myself along the way
    lindsy catches my eye
    my brain now multi tasking...
    as Devo blasts thru my mind
    like an old record with needle cratch at the begining...
    The Girl you want...

its just a cruise down to Lover's Point
    hang out at the little pier(?) for some time
    the sun long gone
    stories of the stupidiest things we've done on bikes
    stories of things we remember about each other
    and lately its been the ebb and flow of stories of
    Devo and the Pug
    i cant believe all the things people say...

ie; "dude i remember one day, it was all rainy, and you were like 40mph in traffic, you signaled left, slid the rear tyre and dissappeared."
    life is funny

obviously the Pug is like advertisement
    everyone says..."wow, what big tyres"

the monterey peninsula
    somes i've come to say "The Monetary Peninsula"
    is mostly a bunch of A types
    a mass of aspiring athletes
    those so serious about...well...we all know...serious about life
    its a bit rare to come across the easy people
    those who seem to be casual, at easy, and relaxed with the way of things
    those who go with the flow

i had to laff when ernie would tell me of the Salinas Crit, Cat 5's out there with carbon wheels. cat 5's on $4k bikes. that says its all.

basically what im saying is that yesterday, in fact this week
    has been a social outing for me
    as if an elipical orbit of sorts
    as my dad use to say to me...
    "catch ya next orbit"
    at times, i'm so far removed from society
    so far removed from social occasion
    i get word that people look for my name in the obits

well...
    today is the day the Pug gets a new drive train
    i finally ordered new chainrings, cogset, and chain.
    1yr 7months
    1 tyre
    1 set of brake pads
    new drive train.

peace..d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    not much new here this week

here's some Devo Irony...
    its Bike to Work Week
    and im off from work.
    lol
    Friday i return to duty
    pretty laffs if you ask me
    but what else would it be
    me in my devo ways...

so last evening there was this Ride of Silence
    a ride in memory of those who have fallen
    its a drag
    Brad Hanson
    Daniel Vasquez
    both i didnt know
    attending Brad's memorial i was amazed to the extent that has to be gone thru in order to get something as simple as a guard rail put into place.
    Brad from what i've come to know was on his bike a lot, and a bit of an outsider, so to speak.
    you know...
    in our little subculture of a world that is cycling
    its easy for an outsider to say, "oh, they are a cyclist", but we all know the mad array of pigeon holes we get wedged into.
    From what i know...
    it seems to me
    that Brad and Daniel were those of the flock outside the norm

i can identify

The Ride of Silence was an officially sanctioned event
    part of Bike to Work Week
    and part of May, Clean Air Month

as i had no expectations
    other than i'd probably find peeps i know
    and to hear what the speech was going to be
    the group of cyclists was a wide cross section
    a couple of roadies, in full roadie garb
    parents and kids
    commuters
    and those who identify with the cycling lifestyle

on the way home i was chit chatting with a buddy
    whom i havent had much of a chance to hang out with for some time
    a few brief moments to blab away, in free-format form, about life, and bikes of course
    ernie breaks off, i continue my way to PG

i spot a group on cruisers, Rat Fink style, etc
    i know a couple of them, so i FLY into the back of the group
    Pug tyres with full brake, howling, grinding into the pave

one of the guys i've known for quite some time, as he's a wrench at one of the LBS's
    another i've known thru ink
    the others im just inviting myself along the way
    lindsy catches my eye
    my brain now multi tasking...
    as Devo blasts thru my mind
    like an old record with needle cratch at the begining...
    The Girl you want...

its just a cruise down to Lover's Point
    hang out at the little pier(?) for some time
    the sun long gone
    stories of the stupidiest things we've done on bikes
    stories of things we remember about each other
    and lately its been the ebb and flow of stories of
    Devo and the Pug
    i cant believe all the things people say...

ie; "dude i remember one day, it was all rainy, and you were like 40mph in traffic, you signaled left, slid the rear tyre and dissappeared."
    life is funny

obviously the Pug is like advertisement
    everyone says..."wow, what big tyres"

the monterey peninsula
    somes i've come to say "The Monetary Peninsula"
    is mostly a bunch of A types
    a mass of aspiring athletes
    those so serious about...well...we all know...serious about life
    its a bit rare to come across the easy people
    those who seem to be casual, at easy, and relaxed with the way of things
    those who go with the flow

i had to laff when ernie would tell me of the Salinas Crit, Cat 5's out there with carbon wheels. cat 5's on $4k bikes. that says its all.

basically what im saying is that yesterday, in fact this week
    has been a social outing for me
    as if an elipical orbit of sorts
    as my dad use to say to me...
    "catch ya next orbit"
    at times, i'm so far removed from society
    so far removed from social occasion
    i get word that people look for my name in the obits

well...
    today is the day the Pug gets a new drive train
    i finally ordered new chainrings, cogset, and chain.
    1yr 7months
    1 tyre
    1 set of brake pads
    new drive train.
    and a lot of miles

peace..d
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    Condors...
    you got to check out this article in the Monterey Herald
    http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_5915850

and then check out this vid
    i think this is the chick that is mentioned in the Herald article.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo
    Condors...
    you got to check out this article in the Monterey Herald
    http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_5915850

and then check out this vid
    i think this is the chick that is mentioned in the Herald article.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Devo

Mary...

today didnt turn out much at all what i had thought

instead i ended up giving a single speed a bunch of attention.
    i installed the avid disc brakes
    and decided to try out this On One Mary Bar
    its a trip.
    i think i'd like a shorter stem
    first impression i've noticed having your weight back further.
    that is trippy

so the Pug didnt get its new drivetrain today
    maybe tmrrw, or the next, or the next...

the DISS is a cool bike
    i've got 2 of them
    this one is a 19.5 frame geared 32x17t i believe
    it seems to have plenty of torque.
    im kind of curious to ride it in the dirt
    see what the hub bub is all about

at times i've wanted to put the Mary bar on the Pug, but i cant seem to bring myself to it. i've become so accustomed to the current set up.

i tried the bar upside down
    mostly cuz i thought i would like the way it looked
    but it was way to wacck
    didnt look right
    plus the position was beyond stupid
    perhaps with a short riser stem, Mary upsided down would be cool
    something about those swoopy upside down handlebars that suggests SPEED!
    flash gordon-esq
    but not the bike for that style

as you can see, some kind of Retro Tec, Black Sheep, racing cruiser is flashing thru my mind.
    a KM with Salsa flared road bars?
    Sram groupo?
    Salsa Momasita?!
    i wonder if i could figure out how to get a road Compact crankset on it
    mated with SRAM road group
    avid road mech discs
    and somekind of cool fat-ish commuter slick

my brain flashes with bikes
    suddenly i've opened my pocket book
    the consumer in me has woken up

my shorts are so thin that people would comment on them
    so i placed a Voler order
    $300 later...new shorts, shirts, jersey, accessories
    hopefull that will last me another 2yrs.
    it seems about that long since i placed an order

New Light and Motion Li-ion ARC Ultra
    drive train for the Pug
    brakes for the salsa
    new clothing
    hammer nutrion order
    and some things from Chrome (cell phone holders)
    1k easily lighter
    back to Scrooge McDuck

maybe eBay off that SS
    www.AsanaCycles.com

mtbr member
    Devo
    I tried the Mary bars, wasn't too crazy about them. At first, I thought they were cool, but I could never find a comfortable position on them. Tried so many different setups, but I think I'm just too used to flat bars or risers. I put a narrow flat bar on my Xtracycle - hoo boy, after riding only DH bikes with 28" bars, going to something that narrow is crazy!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 14