mtbr member

Instigator... What to do with it?

So Ive got an instigator set up right now as a single speed with rigid fork with sun rhynolite wheelset. Im trying to think about what I want to do with it, either turn it into a fat or semi fat bike, put a 650b wheelset on it, or just get a karate monkey for a commuter/trailbike and sell the instigator. Want to know if 650b is really enough of a change to make it worth it or if a partial fatbike is worth it or not compared to a full on fatbike, or if a 29er is just that much better of a bike than 650b for non DH/FR riding..

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Pics or gtfo.

mtbr member
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07 View Post
    So Ive got an instigator set up right now as a single speed with rigid fork with sun rhynolite wheelset. Im trying to think about what I want to do with it, either turn it into a fat or semi fat bike, put a 650b wheelset on it, or just get a karate monkey for a commuter/trailbike and sell the instigator. Want to know if 650b is really enough of a change to make it worth it or if a partial fatbike is worth it or not compared to a full on fatbike, or if a 29er is just that much better of a bike than 650b for non DH/FR riding..
    All of the above. I'm having a great time playing around with my Instigator. The great thing about it or any Surly is that they are versatile enough that it can be all those things that you have mentioned. Mine is starting to evolve in to an Urban Assault bike.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I would use it as a rigid, SS, 26er "play" bike. Short stem, wide risers, basically the same parts you're already running. Although, I already have two 29ers (one of which is a KM).

mtbr member
    I was gonna do the 69er thing with it, but got hit by a car tonight, not drivers fault, just a very bad situation. Wheels are trashed, frame is currently getting checked out, hopefully its okay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07 View Post
    I was gonna do the 69er thing with it, but got hit by a car tonight, not drivers fault, just a very bad situation. Wheels are trashed, frame is currently getting checked out, hopefully its okay.
    Dude, that sucks! You OK?

Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    I would use it as a rigid, SS, 26er "play" bike. Short stem, wide risers, basically the same parts you're already running. Although, I already have two 29ers (one of which is a KM).
    I would vote for this. I'm doing the same thing with my 1x1: BMX cruiser bars, platform pedals, Maxxis Hookworms. Might swap my disc wheelset for a rim brake setup I have lying around.

And I have 2 Karate Monkeys, so having one is not an excuse to not go for it, CycleAddict!

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Dude, that sucks! You OK?

I would vote for this. I'm doing the same thing with my 1x1: BMX cruiser bars, platform pedals, Maxxis Hookworms. Might swap my disc wheelset for a rim brake setup I have lying around.

And I have 2 Karate Monkeys, so having one is not an excuse to not go for it, CycleAddict!

LOL! I completely agree. I mainly threw that in there because the OP mentioned selling the instigator to possibly get a KM. Two different animals though in my opinion. I really want a 26" SS to mainly use for DJing and general hooliganism.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the crash. The more I ride my Instigator and figure out the build I want the more I like it. Getting closer...

Surly Instigator

mtbr member
    Damn saddleup, that is sweet!
    Yeah my frame is okay (fortunately), but my bike frame is bent a bit, going to have the shop straighten it. Then think I will swap parts off of my transition vagrant onto it and use it as an all mountain/freeride rig. I was trying to sell my steamroller but think I will keep it for commuting and sell the vagrant frame instead, probably the most cost effective route, plus the instigator frame is a bit more comfortable to me for xc than the vagrant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Finally got round to putting mine together. Setup with wide bars, dropper post, 2x9, cable discs and rigid forks. Frame had gussets cut down a little, v-posts ground off, rack/guard mounts fitted to dropouts and then powdercoated ferrari red.

Next bike complete #surlybikes #instigator by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I suggest you ride the piss out of it.