mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I'm a little sad...not anymore: it's fixed.

...because my Monkey broke today. I was just riding along as they say when I spotted the crack and I can't think of previous occasions that might have caused this damage. I just had a good look at the crack and it's a clean crack, there is no sign of other damage.

I'm a little sad...-8703501201_f448b05521_c.jpg

I'm a little sad...-8703498857_7dbe4063e4_c.jpg

I'm a little sad...-8703499913_8fe968da3c_c.jpg

It's the original model btw. I did notice that more recent Monkeys do have a reinforcement brace between the stays that mine does not:

I'm a little sad...-fm4_karate_monkey_safetyscissorsblue.jpg

Anyway, a view questions: Has anybody seen Monkeys crack in this spot before and do you think it can be repaired?
    Last edited by George2; 05-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Do you know a welder(okay, first I should ask if it is past warranty through Surly) that can weld a bridge on and weld the crack? Seems like a pretty simple fix. Gotta love steel!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm not the first owner so warranty is not an issue. I asking around for repair options, I'm not sure how easy it is going te be though. Are steel frames like this heat treated after welding or not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You should really contact Surly about this. Even if the frame is not under warranty they could still make the repair or inform a repair shop on how to do the repair. Surly would know best about their frame.

mtbr member
    George2, keep us updated on Surly's feedback. Has there been a change from the earlier version to current to strengthen the affected tube?

I <3 29ers
    Sorry to see it, George2.

Just a friendly FYI - the newer frames have that brace in place because the chainstays are wider in that area.

Good luck with a fix. Do keep us posted please.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So far I contacted a framebuilder and spoke with a welder at work. The latter will have a look at it tomorrow. We'll see, maybe he'll fix it for me but I'm also considering letting the framebuilder do the job and add a brace as well. I also mailed Surly, keep you posted.

@AndrewTO: Thx for the info, I didn't know that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My cross-check broke in a similar way, but on the non-drive side. I assume it was because I was running 130mm (road) hubs in the frame. It has 132.5mm spacing which is supposed to allow you to run both road or mtn hubs (135mm). However, i think that extra squeeze stressed it over the 7 years I've had it.
    But, took it down to a local machine shop and had it welded for $20. Good to go! Been riding it with the repair job for 2 years now.
    Don't fret, the KM's days aren't over yet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That's good to hear, I left the frame at work where one of the welders is confident he can fix it. I think I might know what caused the problem, though. A couple of months back I managed to bend the chainring. It was due for replacement, the chain somehow got stuck and having nowhere to go (I was charging upp a hill singlespeed) it bend the blade. This was made possible bij one of the chainring blots missing I know that sounds rather stupid but I use a five bolt crankset and the missing ring was the one hidden behind the crankarm. To make a long story short, I think it is possible that the ring hit the chainstay. After removing the paint a small dent became visible and this might have been responsible fo weakening the chainstay and causing it to crack.

However, funny enough I hadn't been riding the monkey for a while the day I discovered the crack and I was honestly contemplating how much I like it. So, I hope to get it back in action soon.

I'm a little sad...-6400041059_a969c74ae6_z.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Surly contacted me as well today. Besides information (yes, the frame was heat treated after welding and no, they don't think a brace is necessary) they also offered me a crash replacement. I think that's very decent considering I'm not the original owner.

Surly

I am getting more and more confident the repair will be successful, I would really like to enjoy this bike a little longer...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just curious, what were the terms for the "crash replacement", was it a previously repaired frame, a new frame for a few $$ to cover wear and tare or new for old ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't think I'll need a replacement so we didn't really discuss terms as yet but they offered a discount on a new frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm happy again, the welder I mentioned earlier fixed the frame and added a brace while het was at it. We didn't think it was really necessary but he was on a roll and who am I to complain

The frame was already in primer when I got it back so I don't have any pictures of the 'raw' repairs but I cleaned and sanded it some more, gave it a rattle can paintjob et voila:

I'm a little sad...-8758228407_a8652af444_c.jpg

I'm a little sad...-8758222477_9c4cae4d0f_c.jpg

Not perfect but close enough, can't wait to go riding again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    ...the welder I mentioned earlier fixed the frame and added a brace ...
    Looks nice again! Could you please PM me the name, address and phonenumber of the welder? Bij voorbaat thanks.
    Fat-bike.com is awesomely delicious!