mtbr member

If yo are 5'8 (or close) and ride Pacer - please help

So I always wanted a Pacer. Actually, let me go back a little bit more - I have several bikes, all fixed or fixed/ss and about two years ago I started to want old school roadie. And being a Surly fanboy Pacer came to mind naturally. Green felt OK to me, then sparkleboogie blue came out and I liked it a lot but some other projects were always on. So now I can either get red in any size I want or I can get 52cm one in Blue. Red somehow does not do it for me so likely blue it is.
    So I read all the threads about Pacer sizing, etc and now face a dilemma - 54cm in blue for reasobale price is no longer available. It would suit me well in terms of seat tube and not having to stack up bunch of spacers to get semi-upright seating position (bike will be used for leisury speedy rides on the country roads). In terms of top tube - 52cm fits me the best - my roadie fixie has just a hair over 54cm top tube and fit is perfect.

So to wind down long story - 5'8, with around 32 real inseam (32+) - will 52cm Pacer work for me?

mtbr member
    Also - if you rode/had both 52cm or smaller and 54cm or bigger: how does fork rake difference feels (50 on <52cm frames vs 45 on >54cm frames)?

A God Without A Name
    There is more data required to know if you're going to have a good fit here, but there is a good chance it will be livable.

I looked at the geo for the pacer recently. I'm 5'9 with a 29 inch inseam and I'd still be riding a 52 also.

that being said. nothing wrong against buying a red one and spending 150 to get it powdercoated any color you want. I may still do that with my straggler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    There is more data required to know if you're going to have a good fit here, but there is a good chance it will be livable.

I looked at the geo for the pacer recently. I'm 5'9 with a 29 inch inseam and I'd still be riding a 52 also.

that being said. nothing wrong against buying a red one and spending 150 to get it powdercoated any color you want. I may still do that with my straggler.
    Thank you. I know for sure that I like more upright position then more tuck, I like saddle and handlebars be on almost same level and I am most comfortable with 54 tt (ctc and effective). Don't want to powdercoat - would rather ride and powdercoat later when original paint is no good. Plus for the Pacer I am on pretty strict budget.
    Current roadie/fixie is Bertin with 54 tt and 54 st, SO is around 31 inch and fits me very good. Although to be honest I would have preferred a bit more clearance above top tube (have around 1 inch right now).

I also need to make sure I won't be scrubbing pavement with cranks - I will be re-using Shimano 600 group (first Ultegra, tri-color) and I think cranks I have are 172 and 52 Pacer complete comes with 170. I doubt couple of mm will make the difference but will double check for sure.

As for rake - from my limited knowledge of bike geometry more rake should give me more relaxed ride (along with different seat tube angle). Am I correct?

A God Without A Name
    I'm not a geo expert by any means. and all of my bikes have been within a degree of 72. I do think that more rake means slower, calmer handling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I'm not a geo expert by any means. and all of my bikes have been within a degree of 72. I do think that more rake means slower, calmer handling.
    Which suits me for this build perfectly. I think I will sleep on it and then decide. If I decided to go with 52 and don't like it - worst case scenario I will sell the frame/build in spring

CS2
    mtbr member
    I'm 5'9", same inseam, my 54 is close to perfect. Personally, I'm not into the smaller than needed frame with insanely long seat tube and stem. Good luck.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I'm 5'9", same inseam, my 54 is close to perfect. Personally, I'm not into the smaller than needed frame with insanely long seat tube and stem. Good luck.
    Thank you - your post got me thinking more about why I want Pacer and how I want it to be set up. Ended up browsing Surly site for hours again, realized that I just have to have 1 of each Looked at my current projects (two Moonies and couple of builds for friends) and decided to hold on and just rebuild old Miele frame I have laying around. And Space Horse keeps haunting me - size 52 has ideal geometry, I can bars high, etc, etc. So will complete current builds first and then think what kind of bikes am I missing to fullfill N+1 rule :-)

Thank you everyone