Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post

My stable is pretty set with this lineup, although I kind of want an old schwinn cruiser built up as a klunker
    Fixed it for you

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Big Dummy - 3 season commuter, local shopping runs, and general cruising around town on a bike that exceeds my needs

Pugsley - singletrack, snow, fun

old school Wheeler aluminum frame mtb - winter commuter for salty sloppy roads decked out with nokian studded tires

Soma Juice - 29er singlespeed trail bike

Not sure what my next bike will be. I actually feel pretty content with my quiver right now A faster commuter would be nice though

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Big Summy- most useful bike I've ever owned. I started with an extracycle and upgraded to a dummy a couple years ago. There is a noticeable difference in frame flex when climbing hills with my two kids on the back and the Dummy just feels rock solid. I also use this as the family camping bike (carrying everyone else's stuff while they ride their own bikes), my grocery getter, and all around commuter for summertime- where I'm never afraid to stop at a rummage sale, farmer's market, or hardware store on my way home.

Pugsley- newest addition to my quiver and takes the place of my old winter bike, which I sold to help pay for it, and my will be my new single track machine- since I sold off my old Homegrown to fund my original Xtracycle. This bike may not be fast, at least not with me on it, but it is a heck of a lot of fun to ride. I also have some off road touring ideas for it come summer.

Santana tandem with a child stoker kit on it. I sue this for bike touring/camping when I just have one kid at a time- or when my old child wants to ride her own bike. I tired it with a tag-a-long, but its faster to just throw both kids on the dummy than have some super long bike train flopping all over the road because the kid on the back is slacking off. When the kids outgrow this one I could see selling it and buying a LHT to use as a road bike/touring machine.

Those three would cover everything for me, but if I had to choose the Big Dummy would be my one and only. With studded tires it handles the snow fairly well, but not as well as the pug. The long tail design gave it lots of traction for climbing icy hills come winter.

Jon

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    3 Bike Quiver
    Dirt: 1x1 (I have it. SS or IGH.)
    Pavement/Gravel: LHT (I want it bad. The 26" Canti Version)
    Townie/Grocery Getter: Anything that I'm not overly attached to. (Currently a Custom Giant Suede)

1 Bike Quiver
    Troll

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    Of my 5 bikes, the 3 that get ridden the most are my Surly's. I'm mostly a roadie that dabbles in mountain biking.

- 2003 Pacer with fenders. My general-purpose road bike for long distance rides, training, and occasional racing. In an ideal world, this would be replaced with a 2012+ Pacer that clears larger tires, but I'm too attached to the frame to get rid of it.

- 2005 Steamroller with fenders. My go-to commuting rig, it also gets used for group road rides. This bike easily sees the most mileage since I commute daily, year round. Typically set up with drop bars, it has occasionally seen flat bars and a front rack. Recently had a framebuilder add fender mounts to replace the p-clamps that held the fenders on previously.

- 2012 Karate Monkey with Salsa Fargo fork. My swiss-army bike. Trail setup is dingle-speed or 1x8 with flat bars. Bikepacking setup is 1x8, drop bars, rear rack, and Salsa Anything Cages on the fork. Recently I've been using the bike for winter commuting - 1x8 with drop bars and pink Cascadia fenders. I foresee this becoming the kid-hauler once my daughter is old enough.

Each of the bikes fills a need with minimal overlap. My other two bikes are just for fun - 80's Cannondale touring and an aluminum Specialized race bike.
    A Pacer and a KM should do it for most. Throw in a Fat Bike for fun.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    been working on assembling my quiver here...

Ogre for general commuting and hauling,long and short distance road touring and maybe a bit of dirt road riding as well,i have mine set up with an alfine8 and schwalbe big apples,makes for a super plush cruiser.

Karate Monkey set up as a rigid single speed with a white industries dos enos 20/22 and race face 32 tooth narrow wide with a spare 10 speed rear wheel to run a 1x10.
    trail slaying monkey fun either way...

Moonlander set up as an all terrain local touring beast,old man mountain front and rear racks,full pannier set...load it up and go crawling...

and getting a Krampus in the next couple weeks,that will get set up sweet,goona upgrade to hope hubs and stans hugos and set the rabbit hole rims up with one as a single speed rear hub and the other with an alfine11...

CS2
    mtbr member
    I've noticed that a lot of Surly riders like commuting on KMs or Ogres. Actually anything that's overkill. Why don't we see more Pacer love. It's really an ideal solution for most road and MUP riding. They are super easy to build with anything you've got laying around in the parts bin.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of Surly riders like commuting on KMs or Ogres. Actually anything that's overkill. Why don't we see more Pacer love. It's really an ideal solution for most road and MUP riding. They are super easy to build with anything you've got laying around in the parts bin.
    I really like the flexibility of the Ogre when commuting. Sometimes I feel like off-roading for a bit when going home and Ogre lets me do that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    for me its all about the fatties,the more tire the better,plus i needed to be able to tow a trailer easily and i was looking for something a bit more tank like than a road frame and i just never could get comfortable on drop bars.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Currently I have:

Surly Disc Trucker - I use this to commute about 90 miles a week. Its got a rear rack, frame bag, fenders, a bell, and a light. Its like 34 pounds. Not the lightest or the fastest bike in the world, but its really comfortable and I can take some dirt road alternative routes without rattling my bones apart.

Surly Ice Cream Truck - This is my awesome new trail shredding machine, that happens to be usable on snow too! Its crazy heavy with the Bluto and a Dropper Post, but once I manage to get it up a hill coming back down is a lot of fun.

In an ideal world, I'd add something like this:

Surly Straggler / Disc Brake Pacer - Some sort of fast thing that could do road rides, gravel grinding, and speed oriented commutes. Sometimes I wonder if I just need to pedal my Disc Trucker faster, but having a bike around 22 pounds or so would be really nice.

Surly ECR - This will probably be the next bike I get. Something to do overnight trips on dirt roads, carry a ton of junk, cruise around the neighborhood with my girlfriend, and tour some breweries.

Santa Cruz Tallboy LT - The ICT is a singletrack machine, but it sometimes feels like overkill for less techy trails. Having a modern fast Full Squish would help me do 30+ mile mountain bike days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    A black, stock Karate Monkey with 2.15" Schwalbe Almotion tires. If Surly was still selling the old-style, canti-studded 1x1, I might prefer that over a KM.

A black Rohloff equipped Ogre with 2.15" Schwalbe Almotions and a set of Nano'ish tires for off-pavement rides.

Stephen
    Ok..interesting thread. So, currently

Giant TCR advanced 0- my full on race/road bike
    Giant Trance 27.5 0- my super light full sus MTB to get me out of the trouble my limited skill gets me in to!!
    Surly Straggler- commuter/Gravel Grinder, loving this so far!!!!
    OLD SS- flat bar old school frame thrown together. The Saturday ride to work bike..Fun.
    Avanti Super Sprint - circa 1980's, wind trainer bike.

Next bikes- either Surly ICT with Bluto or Salsa Bucksaw (carbon???)
    MTB Tandem - for Rail Trails with my wife as she can't keep up with the group (stuffed hips from birth) but likes to ride. Not too keen on the tandem idea though dammit.

mtbr member
    I think I am about there:

1. Salsa Vaya- commuting, gravel "racing", long meandering road rides. If I could, I would have no problem replacing this with a Straggler, but that's what I have.

2. Karate Monkey Ops. I have an 2013 KM that's working fine for me for everything off-road, but the modern touches on the Ops would be a welcomed change.

mtbr member
    What is the minimum number for this "Ideal Bike Quiver"?
    'Coz my quiver is endless ;-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I would add a Big Dummy and a Pugsley 29+ set up SS/Fixed to the LHT, Troll and Instigator V1 I currently own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    So, I'm doing some long-term thinking about what I want in my bicycle quiver in the years to come.
    That is what I would call a 1st world problem!!!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    KM ops with two forks. One 100mm suspension for trails, one Fargo rigid for bikepacking.

A Straggler with a custom fork, something like the Salsa La Cruz with cage mounts like the Fargo. For commuting, road touring, and gravel.

A Sunday Funday, for freestyle.

And a full suspension. I've been eyeing the GT Helion and the Marin Rift Zone. I just want a good all rounder that has a fun spirit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just to chime back in here. I now have both the cross check and the Pugsley. By far my favorite bike of the three is the crosscheck, although the Pugsley isn't too bad in the snow. Wish I had the chance to ride the big dummy more, but my girls like to ride by themselves so the crosscheck gets the nod most frequently.

mtbr member
    Disc Trucker

Ogre

I think I got all the surfaces covered pretty well with with these two....but might add a Pacer or a Steamroller with a IGH for those quicker road rides.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2