mtbr member

ideal axle postition for KM w/ RD

I am putting a 9 speed RD on my Monkey and I would like to know where the axle should rest for ideal shifting. should I use the Monkey Nuts to space it to the right place?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    All the way forward for the best shifting. Add Monkey Nuts to have more space between the seattube and tire, if your front derailleur needs the room, but this will hinder your rear shifts. Don't use the nuts if you don't need to, if ideal shifting is your main priority.

mtbr member
    I used the monkey nuts with the rational that I wanted a longer wheel base. Built a 1x9 KM. Shifts just fine for me. A Longer wheel base feels more forgiving to me when climbing steep hills. I'm not certain if would notice the difference as I have not tried it minus the monkey nuts.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CBUL View Post
    I used the monkey nuts with the rational that I wanted a longer wheel base.
    What the heck do you want a longer wheelbase for? One of the benefits of a Karate Monkey is the short possible wheelbase for quick steering on the trail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Assuming an Ogre has a similar dropout length, I have my wheel all the way forward, and the 2.3" Big Apple still clears the FD.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I am not running a FD at all. I ended up with a 1x10 (32x11-36) setup with the axle all the way forward in the slots. it seems to be working great!

mtbr member
    FWIW I have my 1x10 Krampus's rear axle all the way forward. I like having the wheelbase as short as I can get it, and the shifting is very crisp. That setup seems to work very well...just gotta find something to do with my monkey nuts now lol

Just Ride!
    Using monkey nuts to clear front derailleur. No issues with shifting rear 8spd drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Running 1x10 and have axle all the way forward. Shifting is great and the handling is awesome.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am running a 1x9 on my Karate Monkey and used the monkey nuts to help provide enough tire clearance and aid with shifting the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsgerig View Post
    I am running a 1x9 on my Karate Monkey and used the monkey nuts to help provide enough tire clearance and aid with shifting the rear.
    You had better shifting with Monkey Nuts installed? Not that it really matters, but what type of shifter and derailleur are you using? Also, what tire are you running on the rear? Do you have any pics of your tire clearance with and without the Nuts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeah, I run p35's with 2.4 inch tires. Basically, the rear derailleur when in the smallest cog would jam up against the chainstay. It sounds wonky but the monkey nuts worked! In terms of clearance, no pics on me but if I was running singlespeed on my monkey, the nuts wouldn't be needed.