mtbr member
    Nov 2008

How much fun can you have with a NAKED Trucker??

I'm seriously considering a Disc LHT 29'er as my next Surly...

I just want a sturdy-over built disc-brake "road" bike that is still fun for 20-50 mile dirt/gravel rides and will stand up to a clumsy, heavy rider.

I am curious as to how much fun to ride it is NAKED.... that is UN-loaded. Touring will be a rare special occasion for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    FTR, My current (only) bike is a Cross Check.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Plenty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much fun can you have with a NAKED Trucker??-monstertruckin2.jpg  

How much fun can you have with a NAKED Trucker??-monstertruckin1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Plenty!
    The look on your face answers my question

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Does it ever feel awkward or sluggish?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks man. Yeah, I was a little short on details. I have a Cross Check too and, to be honest, on the road I prefer the CC over the LHT. The CC is snappier and faster and lighter and all that stuff you probably already know. On the dirt I like the Trucker better. It has less toe overlap (700c) and more tire clearance. And its a beefier bike. I'm a beefier guy, so I appreciate that in the rough stuff. Is it awkard? Not to me. The low BB gives it a nice carvy feel offroad. Its certainly not as nimble as a real MTB, but for smooth singletrack, like in the picture, and dirt roads, its awesome. Some people think LHT's ride stiff unladen, but it's always felt fine to me. Maybe that's because I weigh it down plenty all by my lonesome. Is it sluggish? Compared to a real MTB or CX bike, yeah probably. But its fun to ride just the same. Offroad it has a fun Rock n Road-style Fargo's Granddaddy retro kind of vibe.

Before I got my CC, the Trucker was my only bike. I didn't get it tour either; I got it to be an all-rounder. At the time, the build on the complete LHT was much better than the CC. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten the CC anyway. And if Salsa had either the Fargo or the Vaya back then, I maybe would have bought one of those instead. But the Trucker has been my faithful mount for a long time and we've had many adventures together. And, as you can see, I'm not selling it anytime soon.

I think the Disc Trucker would be a great all-rounder too. But there's a lot more similar-type bikes on the market these days than when I bought mine. Shop it hard against the two Salsa bikes and the Jamis Aurora, Raliegh Roper, Civia Bryant, etc. Maybe the Ogre. Actually, its crossed my mind to swap all my parts onto an Ogre frame. But for now, I'm gonna keep on Truckin'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the helpful response, I too am a bigger dude, and it am interested in a bike that is built to haul a heavy load...over-built in fact. I love my CC and I am not looking to replace it..I just want two bikes...or more.

I think the "sluggish" concern is probably a non-issue anyway. The CC is my first "road" bike, prior to that I just rode the hell out of a fully rigid 26" MTB with semi-slicks and Trekking Bars on dirt/gravel/blacktop. And loved it.

And now that you mention it, the Ogre is also very tempting... A triple crankset, trekking bars and fat semi slicks would take me anywhere I want to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can have lots and lots of fun on a naked trucker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's what i'm talking about!

What's the biggest tire you can run?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The tires in my pics above are Bontrager 1.8" XR 29er tires. They measure 45mm on my calipers on the stock rims, which I think are 22mm. The rear has just a bit, 1 mm or so, of clearance on the chainstay bridge. So its pretty well maxed out. The front has a little more clearance. I've heard it can go up to 2.1" and my sharply honed Mark 1 eyeball agrees. But I haven't measured it. The 26" LHTs will take a fatter tire. And since you are thinking about a Disc Trucker for a lot of gravel riding, you might want to consider getting a 26" Trucker and running 650b wheels. The 42mm Grand Bois Hetre would be a killer tire choice for a gravel/dirt "road" bike.

mtbr member
    And its a beefier bike. I'm a beefier guy, so I appreciate that in the rough stuff.
    Some people think LHT's ride stiff unladen, but it's always felt fine to me. Maybe that's because I weigh it down plenty all by my lonesome.
    The two may be related.

What size frame do you ride? I'm 6'2" with long legs and thing the LHT might make a better bike for me because of the lower BB; I don't like to feel like I tower over bikes.

bored ex-shop rat

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post

What front rack is that?
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

mtbr member
    As of last night, my Trucker is shoed with 2.25" knobbies with ample clearance. Pictures soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    The two may be related.

What size frame do you ride? I'm 6'2" with long legs and thing the LHT might make a better bike for me because of the lower BB; I don't like to feel like I tower over bikes.
    Yes, those two statements are most definitely related. My LHT is a 700c 58cm. I'm 6'1" with a long torso and shortish legs. As you can see in the second pic, I don't have a whole lot of seatpost showing. I have a short, 45 degree stem that gets the bars up just about as high as they could possibly go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by velopax View Post
    What front rack is that?
    Yeah, me too. What front rack is that? And what about the bars? Looks like maybe old school WTB dirtdrops. I like em. I might add that you have an excellent taste in colors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, I agree on the colour. I really like the greens and browns Surly uses, they look much better in real. The front rack is from Axiom, handlebars are new school WTB Mountain/Road drop.

Clearance with 2.1 Maxxis Holy Roller tires..

mtbr member
    I used to have an LHT and loads of fun on it naked. Maybe loads and naked shouldn't be worded in the same sentence this way. I sadly sold it thinking I would have more fun on a different bike and was wrong. I miss it dearly! The good news is that the gentleman I sold it to was new to cycling and I helped get him excited about the two-wheeler funness to be had! Plus he was a hobby brewer and hooked me up with some of beers. I will own another LHT again but I am looking at doing an Ogre as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ive been eyeballing this frame for quite a while. While Im still working the kinks out of my 1X1, and maybe for Christmas I someone can shove a naked trucker frame down the chimney for me to enjoy!! :P

Good Looking bikes!! Thanks for sharing!
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm currently debating selling my LHT 700c to get an Ogre. I never ride the LHT loaded, no time for touring, but it has been ok with 40mm knobbies on it.

Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I'm currently debating selling my LHT 700c to get an Ogre. I never ride the LHT loaded, no time for touring, but it has been ok with 40mm knobbies on it.

Decisions, decisions.
    That's is pretty much where I am at too... I want to build up a Surly into a burly all-purpose funbike. Almost any frame would work, I just need to decide if I want a Roadish-MTB or a Mountainish-Road Bike..

The Ogre is interesting, but I don't know why I would pick it over the Karate Monkey if fully loaded touring wasn't a priority.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post

Decisions, decisions.
    Dude, I totally know what you mean. The Salsa Fargo would probably be the "perfect" bike for what I use my Trucker for now - 2/3 offroad, 1/3 onroad with the capability to tour and commute as desired. And I just want one because its a sweet bike. But I also like the idea of the Ogre because I could swap over all the parts off my LHT, even the canti brakes, and have a pretty sweet old-skool rigid 29er.

The ground truth is - for me - I don't get the chance to do the epic bikepacking trips of my dreams. Nor do I get to ride the knarly crazy singletrack trails that I used to do. Like 95% of my riding (on the Trucker at least) is either with my kids or on local trails and dirt roads that really aren't terribly rough. The Trucker rocks those rides just fine. And the other 5%...its kind of fun muscling the LHT through trails where I have no business riding a touring bike in an "any bike, anywhere", Rivendellish sort of way.

mtbr member

Tons of Fun

I did a mountain bike race this weekend on my 26" Trucker with 2.25 knobbies. It was awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much fun can you have with a NAKED Trucker??-img_1507.jpg  

How much fun can you have with a NAKED Trucker??-img_1512.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    I did a mountain bike race this weekend on my 26" Trucker with 2.25 knobbies. It was awesome.
    Nice bike. What are those swept-back bars?

mtbr member
    Surly Open Bar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was wondering about going flatbar or at least not-dropbar on my LHT (open bar, albatross,
    whatever...). Commuting into heavy headwinds this week makes me think drops to pull me
    down a little farther than an inverted swept-bar can get is still the way to go.

I am also thinking about removing the front rack; tomorrow could be a test with a big load to
    haul back from the farmers' market. But I will never yank the cascadia fenders so never fully
    naked.