mtbr member
    Jul 2010

High speed wobble on a Pacer.

Hi folks. I bought a 60cm Pacer 2 months ago and I noticed that at high speeds, roughly 37+ mph, I get a front wheel wobble. this also occurs if I go hands free. Just wondering what may cure this minor inconvenience. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Try shifting your weight further forward (longer stem, no layback post, etc.).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll give it a shot thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I assume you're hitting those speeds when going down long/steep hills right? If so, riding in the drops really helps in those situations (and also makes the brakes easier to reach). My "road" bike is a 'Cross-check, and I've never experienced any speed wobble on it, even at 40+. But, I'm usually in the drops in an aero tuck going that fast.
    For reference, my 'cross-check is a 62cm (I'm 6'5") with a 135mm stem (maybe 15mm of spacers below it, which included the cable hanger) and zero-setback seatpost.
    I'd try riding in the drops if you're not doing so already before getting any new parts. It may take some getting used to if you're not accustomed to it, so don't bomb down your biggest hill on the first try.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am new to the road bike and the drops don't quite feel right yet but I will be in them more now. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Touching a knee to the top tube often makes a shimmy go away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You need to tighten the headset a smidge. That should help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for your advice. My brother also suggested the knee on the top tube. I feel stretched out in the cockpit so I am tinkering with a shorter stem actually. If I get it all figured out I'll post it. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Update?

I experienced a bit of wobble on mine when bombing a hill topped out. Will try riding it in the drops and double checking the headset. Thanks.

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Eric
    Thanks for your advice. My brother also suggested the knee on the top tube. I feel stretched out in the cockpit so I am tinkering with a shorter stem actually. If I get it all figured out I'll post it. Thanks again.
    As a rule of thumb, your view of the front hub should be blocked by your handlebar when on the drops.