The black frame! Noice.

What's the build plan?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    The black frame! Noice.

What's the build plan?
    G'day Mate, long time no see.
    Build plan...... most parts now bought and paid for but also most in the delivery process from Wiggle, CRC, Bike24 and Starbike.
    Brooks saddle - I have a Ti Swift to try as well as a new B17 Special in black. (Copper plated rails and rivets).
    Thomson Masterpiece post and X4 50mm stem (Black).
    BB7 200mm in front and 160mm in rear with Speed dial 7 levers.
    Polished Alloy Rohloff (16T)and polished alloy Son28, both with silver CX-rays and silver
    Velocity Dyad rims.
    To get me going I've got some 29x2.35 Big Apples.
    Tubus stainless racks - Cosmo and Nova. Thinking about a tiny nitto stainless flat rack to complement the Nova and sit my sleeping roll onto it.
    Thorn polish alloy cranks with black chain ring (38T at mo but getting 34T)
    Ortlieb Back Roller Classics in yellow and black.
    Sram PC870 chain. Edelux headlight and E-work (taken from my Moulton).
    Oh and I've my eyes on some of those Jeff Jones Loop bars too. Yet to make my mind up on fenders but down to plastic cascades or hammered finish honjo's which would be pure eye candy next to my silver wheelset. Probably the plastics though for practicality.
    What have I forgotten?

How are you getting on with your Ogre? You were running SS(?) when last we spoke.
    What/any upgrades you doing or done? Still enjoying the ride? Theres lots of pics on these pages and some great inspiration. It was actually seeing I think a Karate Monkey in black that got me inspired enough to press the button on mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    What have I forgotten?
    The kitchen sink looks like all.

Is it a tour bike?

Good to see you too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The kitchen sink looks like all.

Is it a tour bike?

Good to see you too!
    Yeah she's an Aussie tour bike for following in the tyreprints of riders like GJ Coop (cycle trails Australia: zzOz blog: zig zag across Oz) and some of the other inspirators in cgoab.com. I've been getting the wanderlust again and enjoyed so much my accross Australia tour from NSW to here in WA that I've decided I want to do some more but including some off the tarmac and beaten trail this time.
    What have you got planned?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Rohloff should serve well. I'm still on the fence about whether to stick that or a Nuvinci on the Ogre.

Had a bunch of teething problems with it that are only just staring to iron out, so I'm sticking with single speed for this year to dial everything in and bring my fitness up. Then into some touring, I hope.

Big Apples on the way too. They look meat axe on an Ogre.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Glad to hear the probs are getting ironed out for you.
    If you get some spare time, check out that blog by GJ. Gotta warn ya though you'll be up into the wee hours once you start reading as its addictive and inspiring. If you havnt already, also check out crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals but you'll probably never sleep again untill your off on your own tours and blogging.

Let me know of any of your teething problems that I should watch out for.
    This is my first ground up bike build. I upgraded the Moulton heaps over the years but not all at once. I thought I just better bite the bullet and do it now whilst I sorta had the funds before some bills came in and wiped out that dream.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey rifraf,

glad to hear the frame finally arrived and the size seems right. I was beginning to wonder what was the holdup. Can't wait to see your build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mostly fit problems for me, so my neck got injured and took a while to recover. The spokes also started unscrewing a couple of weeks in, but stayed put after getting fixed.

Apart from that, keep in mind that an Ogre gets heavy fast. I've got a rack on now and even with a light load it's a beast. It handles so nicely you don't really notice when you're going, then you lift it over a kerb and it weighs a tonne!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mostly fit problems for me, so my neck got injured and took a while to recover. The spokes also started unscrewing a couple of weeks in, but stayed put after getting fixed.

Apart from that, keep in mind that an Ogre gets heavy fast. I've got a rack on now and even with a light load it's a beast. It handles so nicely you don't really notice when you're going, then you lift it over a kerb and it weighs a tonne!
    Thats no good - hope your neck gets better quickly.
    I'm hoping all that weight people talk about equates to structural integrity. I'm not planning on getting any air (doing jumps) but I will be touring with a substantial load.
    I've going over the top with my wheel build with the CX-Rays as I want to keep things as light as I can without affecting strength. Its a balancing act but with an IGH I feel I've got to look to save a few grams where I can. I hope the Big Apples at 2.35 add some serious cush or they'll get parted with very quickly and some Schwalbe Supremes replacing them for a big weight saving.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Seamonster,
    I havnt forgotton your box pics - about to get onto it shortly.
    Cameras charged up so almost set to go.
    As for the delay........ Drove me madder! Big gap between two parcels sent the same day.
    Never mind, sorted now. Huge drain emotionally but the stress has now been lifted.
    My coming parts for the build have much better tracking so even if delayed, I'll have a picture of where they are in the process. I didnt with the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thats no good - hope your neck gets better quickly.
    I'm hoping all that weight people talk about equates to structural integrity. I'm not planning on getting any air (doing jumps) but I will be touring with a substantial load.
    I've going over the top with my wheel build with the CX-Rays as I want to keep things as light as I can without affecting strength.
    Getting the bars up to saddle height on the 24" frame is a challenge, but now I've got riser bars on an adjustable stem which looks absurd but doesn't wreck my neck. Hopefully.

With the weight, I've got cheap heavy wheels on, so it's not the best example of a weight-conscious touring unit.

I did 25km through the suburbs today and really appreciated the steel frame. I tried a bunch of aluminium frames before deciding on the Ogre, but alu would be rough over the potholes and rail lines. With the Apples on it should be pretty plush.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    G'day Mate, long time no see.
    Build plan...... most parts now bought and paid for but also most in the delivery process from Wiggle, CRC, Bike24 and Starbike.
    Brooks saddle - I have a Ti Swift to try as well as a new B17 Special in black. (Copper plated rails and rivets).
    Thomson Masterpiece post and X4 50mm stem (Black).
    BB7 200mm in front and 160mm in rear with Speed dial 7 levers.
    Polished Alloy Rohloff (16T)and polished alloy Son28, both with silver CX-rays and silver
    Velocity Dyad rims.
    To get me going I've got some 29x2.35 Big Apples.
    Tubus stainless racks - Cosmo and Nova. Thinking about a tiny nitto stainless flat rack to complement the Nova and sit my sleeping roll onto it.
    Thorn polish alloy cranks with black chain ring (38T at mo but getting 34T)
    Ortlieb Back Roller Classics in yellow and black.
    Sram PC870 chain. Edelux headlight and E-work (taken from my Moulton).
    Oh and I've my eyes on some of those Jeff Jones Loop bars too. Yet to make my mind up on fenders but down to plastic cascades or hammered finish honjo's which would be pure eye candy next to my silver wheelset. Probably the plastics though for practicality.
    What have I forgotten?
    Looks like you pretty much nailed it :P. I have the stuff in bold on mine. I run a 38x16T w/ 175mm cranks (32" inseam), black rohloff as QBP only sells black, ran a slightly narrower Schwalbe BA, now on Marathon Supreme's for no reason other than BA's don't come in a folding version (if space at home were plentiful, I would run BA's). I generally hit the upper end of my speed range on 36T chainrings, and surprisingly Surly doesn't make a 37T... so I went with a 38T instead. On flat ground I end up cruising at around 26-28 km/h. I'd probably run the 36T with 2.35" tires, but I doubt you can really go wrong with a 34T up front, especially for touring. Mine currently has about the same gearing range as a Trek 520 or Surly LHT, which is a tiny little bit high for offroad work.

I have a Pedalpower+ instead of the E-Work, but it does the same thing. I *love* this setup. I use it on a regular basis when navigating by map on the Edge 800, which absolutely sucks battery like crazy on map view. The only thing I would recommend is have it feed a battery, rather than connect directly to a device, like a 2400 mAh battery pack - smooths out the amperage to the device & gives a better user experience, even if it's a little less efficient. I estimate that during summer, I can roll on this setup for 2-3 days without having to hit mains power at all, charging every one of my electrical devices to full every day. You probably know that you can't really use the EWerk & dyno light at the same time already, so glossing over that...

What have you forgotten? Well, how about a frame bag? No mention of bottle cages or feed bags. Please, let us help you spend your money!!

Sage advice right there. Mine made it to 38 lbs in practically no time at all, and I have no rack fitted. On the 3x10 stock setup it weighed in at 31 lbs, so with the Rohloff & all the other stuff I added most people are surprised it weighs as little as it does. I mean, the thing is practically a rolling tank. I pulled a muscle in my shoulder lifting it on to a bike rack last week heavy .

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    Hey rifraf,

glad to hear the frame finally arrived and the size seems right. I was beginning to wonder what was the holdup. Can't wait to see your build!
    Hey Sea Monster, where are you at? Have you got hold of a frame yet?
    Did you find a black one like you thought you wanted?
    Whats the build kit going to be (or already is)?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey Sea Monster, where are you at? Have you got hold of a frame yet?
    Did you find a black one like you thought you wanted?
    Whats the build kit going to be (or already is)?
    Cheers
    Hello there down under!

I am sorry I haven't replied to your PM any sooner. I was super busy this week (plus a bad toothache driving me nuts). I just published my Ogre Build Master Plan in the Ogre Build Thread. Let me know your thoughts.

PS: No longer need the pics, so don't worry about it. Thanks anyway.

Have a nice day!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    Hello there down under!

I am sorry I haven't replied to your PM any sooner. I was super busy this week (plus a bad toothache driving me nuts). I just published my Ogre Build Master Plan in the Ogre Build Thread. Let me know your thoughts.

PS: No longer need the pics, so don't worry about it. Thanks anyway.

Have a nice day!
    I understand completely. Sometimes life just gets in the way of things so "no worries".
    I had the same thing happen which is why I was slow getting that email to you.
    I'm going to put a few pics into the Ogre build thread so you can keep up to date from there. If you have any questions just fire away. Your build plan looks great by the way.
    Dont forget to put up some pics as you go along so we know where your at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2