mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Help with cross check build

ok i don't normally have to resort to the interwebs to fix bike building problems but i'm stumped.

it may come down to poor part choice decisions which i won't want to hear but if it's the truth, well.......

i wanted to run 2 x 10 speed on my cross check. i went for dura ace 10 speed bar end shifters.
    i have a 105 compact front crank
    10 deore shadow rear DR
    10 speed shimano xt cassette

it just doesn't work. i can only get up as far as 2nd largest gear. i tune it to the lowest cog first, no problem, tension the cable, shifts perfect for the first 2 changes and then i move the shifter again, it doesn't shift at the rear, shift it again and then it moves and seems fine from there, however cos i've missed a shift it never gets to the largest ring.

call it a coincidence maybe but the gear it's missing is where you put the supplied plastic spacer in.
    ie from the big cogs there is a group of 3 cogs, another group of 3 cogs, a single, then the spacer, another single, and then the last two that have the built in spacer on them.
    hope i'm explaining this right.
    i thought somehow the spacer was too wide, but it's marked "10S" on it so i figured it's right.

any suggestions? did i just pick an incompatible group of parts?

my last bike i had 9 speed tiagra brifters and i ran that with 9 speed XT cassette and no problems at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    is my problem as simple as 10 speed shimano road shifters aren't compatible with 10 speed shimano anything?

is my problem solved with just getting say a 10 speed tiagra cassette?

no problem with leaving my shadow rear DR on?

mtbr member
    I ask the same question before and the answer i got is not a good news for you

Shimano Road 10 speed will not work with Shimano MTB 10 speed :-(

On the other note, SRAM are compatible though...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for that, the plot thickens though, i also have a 10 speed ultegra road bike, i put the rear wheel on and, drum roll, same problem.

so is it the cassette or the fact i run a Deore shadow rear mech?

or both?

happy to replace them if required, but am out of spare parts to swap over to check.

mtbr member

both

unfortunately :-(

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    AFAIK all you need is a Shimano 9-speed MTB derailleur or a Shimano 10-speed road derailleur (provided max tooth count and chain capacity specs are met) to work with Shimano 10-speed STI and a 10-speed cassette. I hope someone else will confirm.

EDIT: I just saw that your cassette is an XT 10-speed; didn't know that had different spacing from the Shimano road cassettes.

mtbr member
    check out at Salsa forum or look for GuitarTed,
    He can explain to you more in detail

I <3 dirt
    The issue is the shifter and rear dérailleur compatibility. The cassette spacing for 10 speed is all the same regardless if it's road or mountain. You will have to make sure the new rear dérailleur has the range you need.

Get a 10 speed shimano road rear dérailleur.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Get a 10 speed shimano road rear dérailleur.
    I've checked; a '9-speed' (non-Dyna-Sys) Shimano MTB rear derailleur will also work.

I <3 dirt
    I've heard that but don't have first hand experience. I guess it depends on what his cassette range is. If its under a 28t then I'd get a 10 speed road. If its bigger then a 9 speed MTB would be my choice.

After many many years using Sti shimano shifters on my cross bike I switched to SRAM double tap and love it. Their MTB and road stuff is compatible just like 9 speed shimano was.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Do the ten speed shifters have friction mode? Can you shift the full range in friction?

I <3 dirt
    They do but that would be annoying
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not all 9 speed derailleurs will work. You need a NON shadow derailleur, for instance an M590.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks gents, just getting in, yes the xt cassette is a 32t so really wanted to stay with a mtb derailleur

which it seems that i need to get, what is the issue with using a shadow vs normal?

apologies also, this probably doesn't really belong in a surly forum so happy for mods to move it.

i did post in the drive train forum after i stumbled across a 9/10 speed compatbility thread there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Do the ten speed shifters have friction mode? Can you shift the full range in friction?
    my set is indexed only, left side is friction only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyCalvin View Post
    Not all 9 speed derailleurs will work. You need a NON shadow derailleur, for instance an M590.
    Why do 9-speed shadow derailleurs not work? The cable pull is the same as 9-speed non-shadow derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i was trawling through that other thread and there is an example where a guy had the same 10 speed bar end shifters i do but wanted to run a full slx 10 speed group, he changed out his rear mech with a XT 9 speed shadow and he said it worked fine, i think i'll do the same.
    i like the shadow line so will give it a try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    in case anyone is interested, thread here:
    Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)

very good stuff in here,