mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Help with 1X1 Build - Rear brake adapter

so i'm building up my first 1x1 and i can't work out what brake adapter i need to use, is it a special one?

I've got a standard IS adapter that i've used on the rear of most of my surlys (pictured) should this work with a 160mm rotor and deore hydro brakes?
    I'm also thrown off on the direction of the adapter, i tried it both ways. logically the arrow goes to the front.

i'm also thrown off in general by the brake tabs, there's quite alot of adjustment there which is contrast to my ogre brake tabs.
    Any help would be great!

mtbr member
    If you have used that adapter with a 160mm rotor before, then it should be ok.

The adjustment slots are to allow for the fore and aft movement of your wheel when you adjust it - it allows you to adjust the brake position to match the wheel.

First you adjust your wheel for chain tension, then you move the brake into the optimum position.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'm not sure it's the right adapter. i have a standard 180mm adapter i use for the front. it's marked +20mm on it. The other one says +0mm, which i thought was meant for 160mm. I have been googling adapters and some of the 180mm adapters say 180mm front or 160mm rear.
    Should i be using the same size 180mm adapter that i use up the front also on the rear?

Obi
    mtbr member
    That's an Avid Mechanical Disc Brake 160mm adapter, intended for only use on Avid disc brakes while also using the longer mounting bolts and CPS hardware.

You want an actual Shimano adapter so you can properly mount the Shimano brakes for the correct stack height. Notice the tail of the Shimano adapter is higher than the front whereas Avid 160mm's the adapter's stack height is even.
    R.I.P. Captain Endo - One of Oregon's Best
    Find Some For Sale Collectible/Vintage Stuff Here. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for the reply, i've actually decided to switch over to BB7's (same as my ogre) just becuase they're bomb proof and i know how to set them up. i believe they come with adapters on them so hopefully it should work fine for it.
    thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    With BB7 I usually put 20mm adapter for the back (with 160mm rotor). Tried to show it in the pictures. Black is the newer style frame, white is older. Apologies for shitty pic of the white one

Surly Moonlander, Krampus, 1x1, Pacer, X-Check. All-City: Big Block, Space Horse, Nature Boy Disc. Kona Unit, Bertin, Falcon

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for that. i just bought a set of BB7's that come with adapters for 160mm, however i'm not sure the one that comes on it is a +20mm although i do have a spare one at home. So the +20mm (big) end goes at the rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    thanks for that. i just bought a set of BB7's that come with adapters for 160mm, however i'm not sure the one that comes on it is a +20mm although i do have a spare one at home. So the +20mm (big) end goes at the rear?
    If you bought proper retail set each package should have 160mm rotor, caliper, torque key, bolts and two adapters, one marked as 0 for the front and second and 20mm for the rear.
    The reason I wrote it so detailed :-) - my buddy recently decided to replace his hydros with BB7s, I gave him links on where to buy them and he ended up buying form different place. They came wrapped in bubble wrap, missing 20mm adapter, keys and I am not even sure rotors are genuine. Seem to work OK but we'll see how they hold up
    Surly Moonlander, Krampus, 1x1, Pacer, X-Check. All-City: Big Block, Space Horse, Nature Boy Disc. Kona Unit, Bertin, Falcon

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    mine are coming in a bundle from an ebay seller here in Australia, put together by him so no doubt it won't have all the gear. Tomorrow i'll post a pic of my adapter to see if it's the right one. i might take a closer look at the disc tabs at the rear as from memory they look a bit different to yours. I wonder if the older ones had a different configuration? your pic shows only forward/aft movement in both mount holes. I'm thinking my front hole is forward/aft and the rear may have some vertical movement??? i need to check that and i'll post a pic.

mtbr member
    If you never setup BB7s before - most detailed instructions I saw used to be here Two Wheel Blogs. Link seems to be dead but you can still get to it through archive.org - https://web.archive.org/web/20140330...set-and-tuning
    Don't have to follow it to the T but gives good idea on how to do it

There are plenty more guides if you search for avid bb7 setup including actual sram guide.
    They will feel (usually) feel a bit spongy on first several rides but if you take your time and patience and break them in properly - they will get better and better with each ride.
    There are different takes on breaking pads/rotors in - sometimes I try and follow it, sometimes (more often :-)) I forget and just ride it like I stole it Both methods works for me

mtbr member
    mine are coming in a bundle from an ebay seller here in Australia, put together by him so no doubt it won't have all the gear. Tomorrow i'll post a pic of my adapter to see if it's the right one. i might take a closer look at the disc tabs at the rear as from memory they look a bit different to yours. I wonder if the older ones had a different configuration? your pic shows only forward/aft movement in both mount holes. I'm thinking my front hole is forward/aft and the rear may have some vertical movement??? i need to check that and i'll post a pic.
    It does indeed have vertical movement, just not straight perpendicular to the ground. As you move it back it will rise at the same time. Wheel position in the rear fork will determine where they end up

mtbr member
    20mm adapter

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ok here's what i have, should be ok then? also a pic of my brake tabs, different to yours.

mtbr member
    So yours is same as my white one, still 20mm for the back. Surly redesigned tabs on later models (like on my black).
    You still should be able to adjust it no problem - I had wheel mounted slammed and all the way at the end of the drop outs too, so used full range.
    I will try and get you better pic today of the white one, I think it has BB5 mounted right now but it is really the same mounting on the frame

mtbr member
    Here you go, I think wheel is setup for 32x16 (or 17), so not quite slammed but close

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    awesome, thanks mate

mtbr member
    awesome, thanks mate
    Very welcome, don't forget to post pics when done!