PRETENDURO

Having problems using quick release with Tugnuts

Have been using Tugnuts with the standard bolt-through axles for many many months, decided today to pop a quick release (with skewer) using the supplied skewer inserts and works fine... until I use the rear brake under load, and the wheel shifts and dives into the chainstay on the non-drive side. It stick there until I release the quickrelease lever, wherein the wheel pops back into place. Am I just unable to get enough torque from the quick release clamp??? The wheel doesn’t dive into the drive side under heavy load up hills at all.

LOL! Forgot to mention the bike: 2009 11th Anniversary Edition Surly 1x1 singlespeed mountain bike. I never had any brake torque problems before trying the quick release. The bike has seen at least 3,000 miles of off road abuse both with the single speed setup as well as with a Shimano Alfine internally-geared hub setup (didn’t use the Tugnuts with it though, used MKS tensioners).
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 05-12-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had that same problem w/ a disc/qr setup (no tugnut); the qr skewer was also a trailer hitch so I couldn't change that; but I put a tugnut on the non-drive (disc) side and the problem went away.

I am a couple hundred miles into trying fixed-gear/qr (swapped solid axle for hollow) but with a nice XT skewer and so far haven't had the wheel shift at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use tugnuts on a KM and a Troll, both with QR without any movement at all. Are you using a tug on both sides? The axle cannot move forward with a tug on both the non drive and drive side.

Dianetics Junior
    two tuggs for sure will solve it. I have also heard that you need an old school type (external cam) skewer for the rear as some newer (boutique) styles don't have the clamping power....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good quality skewers appear to hold the wheel in position better than other, I've used XT QR with tuggnuts and it's held firm.

PRETENDURO
    Shimano XT skewer, and TWO (2) Surly Tugnuts, one per side, both with the little circle adapter thingies for the skinny skewer. What is happening is that (under hard braking) the non-drive side is slipping toward the back of the bike, while the drive side is staying put; I can only assume there is unwanted flex somewhere in the equation.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I've had this problem a few times on my pugs with QR. I just tightened the skewer down to the point where I'm grunting to get it tightened on and it seems to be holding.
    Pugsley, Bullit

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyroy
    I've had this problem a few times on my pugs with QR. I just tightened the skewer down to the point where I'm grunting to get it tightened on and it seems to be holding.
    Thatís sort of what I was thinking of doing, Iím just afraid of stripping threads or breaking the skewer in half. Any idea if someone make skewers slightly longer than 135mm (I need about 7mm or so)? Seems as though upon closer inspection, that running a Tugnut on either side with the skewer adapters in place gives me about 7mm less usable threaded area on the end of the skeweróI donít like the idea of getting all Superman when there arenít enough threads.

Anyway, today I did a real ride with the setup on some technical (rocky, steep, loose) terrain, and just to be safe I made sure I did the braking with some gentle finesse, using a technique that did not solely rely on getting the rear locked up. The problem did not occur, amazingly.

mtbr member
    I was tightening the Salsa skewer as hard as humanly possible on my Cross-Check and the drive-side axle would still slide forward occasionally under loads. I think the problem is the plastic bushings in that design. It was so tight you hurt your fingers trying to loosen it to get the wheel straight again.

I swapped it out for a side-cam-action Shimano XT and it has not moved since, even with a trailer-hitch on which was prone to swiveling around on the old set-up. It is also a breeze to operate compared to the Salsa.

If you go for a tugg-nut each side (I would) I believe you can get longer QRs for tandem hubs.