REALLY?

Gave your cranks a second chance like I said I would....again, FAIL.

Maybe your R&D should hire me to design your parts for you, do are your products fall apart or come loose under normal wear and tear...its no longer my opinion these cranks are junk, THEY ARE JUNK! Pictured below are a 20+ year old set of Shimano (xt I believe) cranks - zero problems ever, I rest my case.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

REALLY?
    Nevermind...the surly is being sold and replaced by one GTs early 90's high end American made bikes, can't beat American craftsmanship.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    Nevermind...the surly is being sold and replaced by one GTs early 90's high end American made bikes, can't beat American craftsmanship.

ballbuster
    Are you the guy who said before that you install stuff without looking at the manual because you are a qualified bike mechanic? Did you use a torque wrench?

All I can say is there are a bunch of folks out there running those cranks with zero issues. Somehow, they got messed up on your install..... Hmmmmmm... I wonder what the common thread could be....

Wait... so what is the issue? The preload screw on the end fell off? Meh, once installed, you don't need it anyway.... like the threadless top cap.

... and actually, yes... it is your opinion that they are junk.

I'll give you $40 for them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's why they have one with longer threads now.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    oh yeah! this guy, the professional bike mechanic!

Obi
    mtbr member
    I want my 2 minutes back.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

ballbuster
    Remind me what shop you wrench at so I'll know to NEVER fricking go there.

@adelorenzo

Recreational Racer
    Wow tuff crowd. This is why I read the directions before any install. I may not follw them but I read them so that when I rant on a forum I can at least say that I read the directions before install.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    Your cranks are Deore DX, XT cranks just read shimano. The GT Bravado was made in Taiwan, nothing wrong with that of course.
    if you didn't take the time to install them correctly (read the manual, use a torque wrench, follow the instructions etc) then that would be the third thing wrong in your posts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel
    Your cranks are Deore DX, XT cranks just read shimano. The GT Bravado was made in Taiwan, nothing wrong with that of course.
    if you didn't take the time to install them correctly (read the manual, use a torque wrench, follow the instructions etc) then that would be the third thing wrong in your posts.
    pwn

ballbuster

Yeah, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel
    when installing square tapers, you should most definitely use a torque wrench. If you over tighten them, you stretch out the square taper and they develop creaks and come loose. Too little, and they creak and you wear the squares out.

Obi
    mtbr member
    I forget, it's been so long, what's one of the first things the shop teacher goes over?

Nevermind, I remember now.. RTFI/RTFM.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    I forget, it's been so long, what's one of the first things the shop teacher goes over?
    Uh, was it Measure twice, cut once?

No, wait, it must have been Don’t accept any wooden nickels

No, no, that’s not it either.

Oh yeah, it was Live every day as if it were your last; one day you’ll be right!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I used to work at a furniture store. Most of the stuff was junk made in China. We went to assemble one piece that came with instructions that said:

Please assembly by two people cooperate more easily completed.

Words to live by. For someone. Somewhere...
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Obi
    mtbr member
    Thanks Porkstacker. Speaking of pork though..This thread would be better if we just had some
    Awesome!

Obi
    mtbr member
    Ahhh, much better..
    Awesome!

Recreational Racer
    How does one respond to something like that?
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    With;
    nice where does she keep the eggs?