mtbr member

Which Front Racks Fit The Troll Fork?

I picked up a used Jandd Expedition Front Rack and was pretty excited to put it on my new Troll, but quickly discovered that it won't fit. The fork is too wide and the rack is too narrow.

Because the Troll is basically replacing a Big Dummy for me, I'm really counting on being able to haul 4 panniers to accomodate groceries, a kindergartner, etc. So, that means I'm back in the market for a front rack--and this time one that fits.

I'm sure the Surly Nice Rack would fit since they were designed by the same bunch of folks. But, I'm also curious about what my other options might be. So, for you Trollers out there, who has mounted a front rack? What works? What do you like?

And remember, pics are always fun, too. . .

Thanks in advance.
    Fat, tired.

mtbr member

OMM Sherpa or Cold Springs will work on your Troll. Great racks. Mine have been bomber for ~10yrs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    I've got an OMM front rack (The Sherpa, I think). It's what I'll probably end up using at least for now. I was hoping to get something that makes use of the braze-ons eventually.
    You can mount an OMM rack to the fork's braze-ons if you like. I did that on my Pugs. In general the OMM QR mounts work well and I've never had an issue using them so I left them that way on my LHT and Big Dummy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I've got an OMM front rack (The Sherpa, I think). It's what I'll probably end up using at least for now. I was hoping to get something that makes use of the braze-ons eventually.
    Fat, tired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    LIke Vic said, the OMM racks can be mounted to the braze ons, works fine as is though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I made a simple, easy custom mounting bracket for my OMM Cold Springs front rack to mount it on my Pugsley fork braze ons. I'm pretty sure it would work on a Sherpa front rack as well and would be easier on a Troll since you wouldn't have to compensate for the offset.
    See OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork for photos. The Cold Springs front rack has the most clearance between the stays than any of the other OMM racks. But the Sherpa has quite a bit too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nm13 View Post
    I made a simple, easy custom mounting bracket for my OMM Cold Springs front rack to mount it on my Pugsley fork braze ons. I'm pretty sure it would work on a Sherpa front rack as well and would be easier on a Troll since you wouldn't have to compensate for the offset.
    See OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork for photos. The Cold Springs front rack has the most clearance between the stays than any of the other OMM racks. But the Sherpa has quite a bit too.
    If you call/email OMM and tell them what bike you are mounting their racks on they'll send you a customized mounting kit.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The Salsa Down Under rack would be a possible solution as long as you didn't need a front platform and your front panniers were relatively small.