mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Front Rack for Ogre Fork?

I'm running some Cascadia fenders and I'm hoping someone has found a front rack that works with fenders and anything cages and can hold some panniers. I got a nice front rack from RackTime, but the mounting spots on the Ogre fork puts the rack way up high so much it's not useable. I was about to get the Salsa Down Under, but that looks like it needs eyelets on the FRONT of the fork's drop-outs, and the Ogre fork only has these on the rear.

My fenders are mounted as per Blog | Surly BikesBlog | Surly Bikes. Cut the stock spacer in half and attached to the lower-mid barrel-mount-bosses.

I have a lot of empty holes on this fork, but can't really find anything to work! I won't rest until I find a way for everything to work together. It would be a shame to use something like Old Man Mountain racks right next to empty rack-mounting holes. I have the fenders, just need a rack that won't block the fender struts, or bottle cages.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Can you not use the front barrel mounts for the Down Under rack? I imagine you could squeeze it in between the braze-on and the fender spacer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    Can you not use the front barrel mounts for the Down Under rack? I imagine you could squeeze it in between the braze-on and the fender spacer.
    The lower holes for the down under rack wouldn't line up with the barrel mounts, they're need to be mounted further down, in front of the axle, from what I can tell.

mtbr member
    Anything Cages and front panniers is a tall order. You'll probably need to stick with one or the other. Can't imagine you'd need the cages with panniers up front anyway...

(By the way, would have been a good question to post in the dedicated Ogre thread...)

mtbr member

P&s

I bet a Pass & Stow rack would work fine on your Ogre. I know Matt is now making one for 29ers. The Pass & Stow rack has a nice large platform and can accommodate panniers.

Pass & Stow Bicycle Racks

Like Matt points out, you're not going to be able to use Anything Cages and front panniers.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I bet a Pass & Stow rack would work fine on your Ogre. I know Matt is now making one for 29ers. The Pass & Stow rack has a nice large platform and can accommodate panniers.

Pass & Stow Bicycle Racks

Like Matt points out, you're not going to be able to use Anything Cages and front panniers.
    Hmmmmm how long before he's doing them in stainless I wonder as then I would get excited. I'm settling for now for a Tubus Nova but will return for a look at the P&S racks when I'm a little better heeled. I"m hoping the Nova will fit as I bought flying blind on the issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Anything Cages and front panniers is a tall order. You'll probably need to stick with one or the other. Can't imagine you'd need the cages with panniers up front anyway...

(By the way, would have been a good question to post in the dedicated Ogre thread...)
    You're right, and a rack is more important to me, since I don't have any anything cages, and can't find them. I do have some front panniers and a rack that doesn't fit on the versatile Ogre.

I'd like to change my order to just a front rack that will work with my cascadia fenders.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilancing View Post
    It would be a shame to use something like Old Man Mountain racks right next to empty rack-mounting holes. I have the fenders, just need a rack that won't block the fender struts, or bottle cages.
    IMHO, it's never a shame to rock OMM racks. I've got them front and rear on my Troll and couldn't be happier. It leaves the rack and fender braze-ons free as hard points for mounting rocket pods and machine guns.
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon707 View Post
    IMHO, it's never a shame to rock OMM racks. I've got them front and rear on my Troll and couldn't be happier. It leaves the rack and fender braze-ons free as hard points for mounting rocket pods and machine guns.
    Very good point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's just irritating to see so many unused braze-ons (SEVENTEEN!) cluttering up my front end, while my front panniers sit at home collecting dust. Each "useless" eyelet is like a herpes sore: it's there forever as a reminder of bad decisions.
    Last edited by Trilancing; 02-25-2013 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    It's just irritating to see so many unused braze-ons (SEVENTEEN!) cluttering up my front end, while my front panniers sit at home collecting dust. Each "useless" eyelet is like a herpes sore: it's there forever as a reminder of bad decisions.
    Weird mentality, dude...

Only front rack I've tried is the Tubus Duo, which fits perfectly. If you don't need a platform and just want to carry your front panniers, the Tubus is a great option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Weird mentality, dude...

Only front rack I've tried is the Tubus Duo, which fits perfectly. If you don't need a platform and just want to carry your front panniers, the Tubus is a great option.
    Thank you for your helpful response. I'll check it out, and probably go for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Weird mentality, dude...

Hi Matt,
    great to know.
    I reckon that if the Duo fits ok then so will the Nova.
    I went for the stainless nova and cosmo (on order from bike24) due to my current racks looking dreadful from the peeled/scratched paint and surface rust.
    Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon707 View Post
    if you want to shift your already mounted cages, rocket pods and machine guns around or just want more bosses to fit more weaponry check out this adapter:
    Front Rack for Ogre Fork?-bottle-cage-adapter-top.jpg
    more info here:
    Bottle Cage Adapter - New MTB / road bike parts - Mount Skidmore

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For anyone wondering, the Tubus Cosmo and Nova fit just fine on the Ogre. Just gotta be cautious when attaching the Nova that you allow for the best fit for the Quick Release. I had to refit when I spotted I'd not allowed for it. Easy once you know.
    I'll update if I strike any issue with fenders.

Front Rack for Ogre Fork?-dsc05771.jpgFront Rack for Ogre Fork?-dsc05780.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thank you for your helpful response. I'll check it out, and probably go for it.
    Hey Trilancing,
    might these be helpful to your quest?
    Ortlieb Bottle Cage < Product Details | The Randonnee Shop

Something I saw the other day "might" be worth a consideration, looked like a Surly Nice front rack (Surly Rack | Parts | Surly Bikes) with extra rack mounts (Front Rack Sliding Plate | Parts | Surly Bikes) pointing rearwards with what appeared to be large bottle cages attached.
    It was on a Thorn Nomad and only a quick look as the rider went past.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    ScaryJerry is correct.

The lower holes for the down under rack wouldn't line up with the barrel mounts, they're need to be mounted further down, in front of the axle, from what I can tell.
    That's the way the Down Under Rack fits on MOST bikes, like the Salsa Fargo, but the Troll and Ogre move that mid-blade threaded-boss up higher - exactly (about) 165mm / 6.5-inches from that threaded-barrel-eyelet where Surly's blog recommends anchoring your fenders. In conclusion, the Down Under rack DOES fit the Ogre and Troll, and rides level too, just about two-inches higher than "normal" forks. Most forks have the mid-blade hole 165mm up from the rear (fender mount) eyelet on the fork's dropouts. Surly just moved the entire situation up higher on their forks. (which may slightly cant the rack outwards, compared to the more recessed location of the lower mount on "most" forks' drop-outs)

Weird mentality, dude...

Based on your keen advice and the beefy tubes of the Duo, I ordered one for my Troll. What really tipped the scales between the Duo and the Down Under rack, was that the Duo is chromoly steel, while the Salsa Down Under is made from aluminum.

Front Rack for Ogre Fork?-tubus-lowriders.jpg

This blog: http://mrsqueakywheel.wordpress.com shows some really good close-up pictures of the Tubus Duo mounted on an orange Troll.

Here's the Salsa Down Under on a purple Troll (originally posted by skrnygphr):

Quote Originally Posted by skrnygphr View Post

I realize this thread is for the Ogre, but the Troll's mounting points are pretty much the same.