Thread: Frame saver?

powered by peanut butter.

Frame saver?

Does anyone know if Surly coats their frames with Frame Saver or some other similar rust preventer?

I got into a little adventure yesterday...

(crap-tastic cell phone pic. Riding a flooded road was the funnest/dumbest thing I've done since my local trails closed for the winter, but my fenders did nothing! Nothing!)

... and am wondering about how worried I should be about my frame rusting away on me.

I pulled off the crank and one of the bottom bracket cups when I got home (the other side of the bb was frozen too tight for me to budge) to let any water drain out. Nothing came out, so I regreased everything and put it back together.

I also dried, cleaned, and lubed the chain, cassette, and pivot points on the derailleurs and brakes. Any other preventative maintenance I should do?
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No they don't as far as I know, but you did the right thing by letting it dry.

Now tell the story of the pic, because that's awesome

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's story time fella.

Never enough time to ride
    gotta hear this story for sure!

Also check your rear hub, and repack that bearing or you'll have issues down the road.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

powered by peanut butter.
    Honestly, the story isn't all that exciting. It's more of a story about personal obstinacy than unfortunate circumstance. I was out on a 25-ish mile road ride that goes by a local lake when I found this flooded section of road. I was running out of daylight, and it would have taken me twice as long to get home if I turned around at that point. (Plus, there was a big hill that I really wanted to climb just past the flooded bit. )

Where I started, the water was only about six inches deep, so by moving slow and ratcheting the pedals I didn't even get my feet wet for the first bit. This isn't so bad, I thought, feeling smugly self contented about biking where a car couldn't go. Piece of cake. Then it got a little deeper. Whatever. No problem.

Not too long thereafter I was in my lowest gear and pedaling with my knees almost fully submerged. And laughing hysterically at my self - too late to turn around now, I decided, so I might was well revel in the patent absurdity of underwater pedaling. I would have made it through the whole flooded section too, except the tree in the crap-tastic-cell-phone-pic-of-utter-crappiness was blocking my way and for some reason I couldn't quite muster the momentum to bunny hop it.

So, dripping wet from the waist down (and freezing!) I got to climb my big hill and finish my ride before spending the next two hours stripping stuff off my bike to let it dry. Well worth it, though. Flooded sections should totally become a regular feature in cross races.

Squish - thanks for the reminder about the rear hub. I'll have to clean that out soon.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That was a great story! I asked my LBS and they told me that Surly rust proofs their bikes. I hope they were telling me the truth. Can't wait to see the finished product.

mtbr member
    I've never seen anything to indicate that Surly coats the inside of the frame in any way. Do yourself a favour and go to any automotive store and buy yourself some rust protector spray. Coat the inside of the frame with it and reduce your worries.

No oil based protection could resist the amount of water you were dealing with. Opening up the BB, seatpost, bottle cage bolts etc and letting it all dry is the right idea. Spray the gunk in after it's all dry to prevent any future worry.

Some companies (like All-City, on their Nature Boy) permanently coat the inside of the frames to provide rust protection, but AFAIK, Surly does not.

I had a Cross Check which I rust-protected when it was brand new, and rode through a lot of wet weather with. Eventually I cracked the frame right near the BB, and there was no rust at all internally, after over 3 years of year-round riding (and relatively minimal maintenance).

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/spew...r_steel_frame/

^
    The last paragraph on that page leads me to believe they do not. When I bought my Long Haul Trucker last year I had the LBS take it apart and apply framesaver