Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Still want a fat bike....

Stickers! Where to have Surly Stickers Made

So I have a fun idea for my new bike that I want to have ready close to when the frame comes in. Where can I have some stickers made that match the Surly fonts? Can I just give any vinyl company some examples of the font and ask them to duplicate? Anybody know the best route to go with this? I have heard that local vinyl shops can probably do it pretty easy and cheap, but I was wondering if there is much real world experience here that might help.

Bedwards Of The West
    I just went with the 'modify the manufacturer's sticker' approach.

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Teen Wolf
    you can probably get some from surly for cheap

Bedwards Of The West
    Do you want to have the same font but different letters? Like, change 'surly' to 'burly' or something?

Just so everyone knows, I am asking so that I can customize the top tube name sticker. I am not just looking for replacement stickers and I don't know that I could make it work modifying any current options.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Do you want to have the same font but different letters? Like, change 'surly' to 'burly' or something?
    No, I am actually going to remove "Ogre" and put something completely different there.

Bedwards Of The West
    Let's have an Ogre build race. My frame is supposed to come in next week.

Let's have an Ogre build race. My frame is supposed to come in next week.
    You might beat me... I need rims still and have to have one built so I can have my Velocity Dyads in black reflective.... but maybe I can get it done. Frame should be here like Thursday.

Bedwards Of The West
    Are you getting a black fork or a green one? My LBS was only able to get black ones with the Frame/Fork order...they were told that the green is now only coming with the complete bike. I'm kind of a fan of the black, so I'm OK...just curious.

mtbr member
    If memory serves, the Surly frame names are the same font (same size?), so maybe you could order different names for the letters you need if not too extensive and cut them up like CB? OTOH maybe the local print shop can do it for you?

BrianMc

Are you getting a black fork or a green one? My LBS was only able to get black ones with the Frame/Fork order...they were told that the green is now only coming with the complete bike. I'm kind of a fan of the black, so I'm OK...just curious.
    You know, I am not sure. I'll have to check on that. They didn't say anything, but they are not a Surly dealer so they might not even have an idea.

Brian - I have thought about that, but its nine letters and I am not sure that I could piece it together. Plus, if I can have someone print it, I can maybe have them do a full sticker and not individual letters that I have to try and line up on both sides.

Quick update - Eric over at Surly responded to an email I sent over asking about a particular font or some specs and said that they actually design each decal themselves and don't use any kind of font or anything. Anyone with a surly want to tell me how tall the decal is? 3/4"? I am going to just give a guy some examples and a height I'd like and have him design me some.

mtbr member
    That's very cool especially if is isn't a lot of $$.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    So Dalton, are you just talking to a local vinyl company? Now I really want to get something like that done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm sure if you look on any of the free font site you will find the font they are using or the base they used to make the grafix...

Script > Graffiti fonts | dafont.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    That's very cool especially if is isn't a lot of $$.

BrianMc
    The local guy I am talking to said it should be pretty cheap. We'll see though.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    So Dalton, are you just talking to a local vinyl company? Now I really want to get something like that done.
    Yeah, its not right down the road, but its a guy here in Michigan from a local off-road board and any time I can shop local or help a fellow off-road guy, I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    I'm sure if you look on any of the free font site you will find the font they are using or the base they used to make the grafix...

Script > Graffiti fonts | dafont.com
    Those all look pretty cool. Maybe I will just have him do all of the decals including the Surly one and use my own font.

Still need an idea from a Surly guy as to the font height.....

Oh, and CB.... my frame came in Yesterday. Probably going to pick it up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Well you've inspired me, so I sent in quote requests to a couple of local places too.

I also found this place online that has bike decal templates: Online Store | Road Bike Cycling Decal Sticker | Custom Personalized Bike Lettering | Bicycle Mountain Bike Decals Stickers.

The font choice is a limited, but as a price comparison it looks like what you want would be like $7.

newfangled - you know approx what size font for the top tube and down tube decals?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The custom stickers on my Anthem are 1.7"

Let's see your raw aluminium!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    newfangled - you know approx what size font for the top tube and down tube decals?
    When I said $7 I thought you were just replacing the little "Orge." Didn't know you also wanted the downtube.

For the downtube on what looks like a steel frame they're using 1-1/2" x 11-1/2" ($13 for a pair, and much longer than the standard "Surly").

The toptube is 3/4" x 5" ($8 for a pair)

mtbr member
    And just an update for anyone who's curious: one of my local places (just found through google) will do a 6"x12", white text on transparent background for $22, with me supplying a custom photoshop file.

With that size I figure I should be able to easily do 2xdowntube, 2xtoptube, and some logos for headtube/seattube. I haven't done a layout yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I can squish everything to fit onto 4"x12". I also didn't ask them about die-cutting out all the various pieces, but I may see how much that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Frame Decals / Stickers / Graphics

What are people using as a cost effective solution to adding decals to their frames. I am powder coating frames and then have just added some cut vinyl graphics but not sure how long they will last. Any suggestions would be great.

Frame Decals / Stickers / Graphics-photo-4-1.jpg

Most Delicious
    Look into <a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=image+transfer+decals+packing+tape">image transfer with packing tape</a>.

There's also some interesting toner transfer metallic foils.

mtbr member
    I've been using vinyl cutouts from VCgraphix, they work really well. I was looking at getting some sticker headbadges from them too, I think they can do more detailed stuff.

Whit had a good blog post about this using some other kind of decals: Decals | Meriwether Cycles

I'm sure He'll chime in.
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Find somebody local who does signs and truck lettering. A friend of mine has a printing/sign/lettering design business and cuts the decals for me. They hold up well and are designed for outdoor use. He also cuts my paint masks for when I paint the lettering.

This one has decals with a silver border printed on red vinyl
    Name:  9286416138_0fb24bdf8f.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  174.9 KB

This one was painted using a paint mask cut from vinyl
    Name:  9661412425_cf9d71930e.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  127.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast