Thread: First Surly

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

First Surly

Ogre built w/a mix of XT/Sram parts, Thomson stem & post, Havoc carbon riser bar (sweet bar), and wheels built by Jude at Sugar Wheel Works w/2.35" big apples. Used as a fitness/town ripper bike - fantastically fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Very nice!

I use a Karate Monkey with Big Apples as my "fitness/town ripper bike" too. Plush ride, and I get plenty of exercise pedaling that beast up hills!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, those tires roll real nice once you get them there, but I know what you mean, I bet I lost 1-2 gears going up hills.

I Ride for Donuts
    That is sweet. I'm close to ordering my Ogre frame, and I'll be swapping my current commuter bike stuff over to it... 2.35 BA's included. I have drops on that bike, but man I like the looks of yours. Maybe in 'summer mode' I'll ditch the fenders and go to a flat bar. How wide is that beast of a bar?

Edit: also, that thompson lay-back seatpost really compliments the tweak in the seat tube.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Never noticed the post/seat tube line - does look cool. Bar is 750mm (perfect for me). I was also looking at the Enve DH bar, but its not avail, a bit too wide (800mm) and $25 more.

mtbr member
    Love the red and green colours together. I had an Ogre build sketched out and I was going with the same hoops in that colour. Nice to see how it would have looked.

Enjoy the new bike....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com