Thread: First Build

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

First Build

So I'm new to these forums, and biking in general I guess, so I may be posting this in the wrong place but I figured it was a good place to start at least. This also may be a stupid question...so I apologize for that.

I've been riding for years now. I got my Surly CrossCheck almost 2 years ago and am in love with it. It's a great bike and I love its capabilities. Recently, and thanks to my crosscheck, I've been interested in building my first bike and learning all about how bikes work.

That being said. I have been looking at the Surly troll (which is why I'm posting this here in the surly forums, but there may be a better place to post this in general). I know the frame geometry is more that of a mountain bike, and I wish to build one up as a mountain bike. However, looking at some of the pictures in the Troll thread, I saw people who put the woodchopper drop bars on their troll. I rode a flat bar mountain bike for years before my Surly, but really love the drop bars.

This brings me to my question. If I put the drop bars on, would I still be able to put on trigger shifters? I have not seen trigger shifters on the drop bar set up. What are my options?

Thanks so much for any help you all in this community have to offer me.
    -Calder

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There has been custom setups to put triggers on drop bars, but most people running offroad drop bars use bar end shifters or road "brifters". I'd look into using Thumb shifters, like the IRD XC Pro or converted downtube shifters on Paul Thumbie mounts. These will be extremely reliable, and will still work if you want to switch to a flat bar setup.

I think the Troll is a good choice. Awesome bike, and it looks so much better in person, you'd be thrilled with it. Plus there's nothing quite like riding a bike you built up yourself.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you for the input JAG. The Paul Thumbie mounts are something I had not heard of before. Very cool! I can't wait to start the build. I'm on a college man's salary, however, so the build could be very far in the future, but I'm trying my best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Telp, I'm also on a mission to build up a troll. Would love to see your finished product if you have any pics.

I'm torn between frame sizes tho, 18 or 20 ughhh can't decide

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keep in mind that if you run drop bars on the Troll, you will need to go down a frame size or run a really short stem. I tried that on a Karate Monkey and did not like the way it handled with fat tires, short stem, and a drop bar. Other people seem fine with it. But if you really like drop bars, I'd go with the Salsa Fargo instead since it was designed for fat tires and drop bars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I do like the idea of drop bars on a mtn bike, im thinking with my troll i will be installing some sort of straight bar with some sweep (back) to them. I'm thinking that it would be better for rougher terrain and down hill vs the drops. I also have a cross check that i turned into a monstor cross on off road hybrid class of its own bike, and brought the handlbars up, and back while running it offroad on trails. The handling is definently a little fishy with the bars back vs the bars more directly over the front axle.

As far as the 18 or 20 troll :-/ ..... im leaning towards the 20 troll because it would open the frame up for framebags, big water bottles and a more tour friendly inner frame (since im into frame bags and modular add ons). Now at the same time im worried about the top tube reach distance and if my swept back bars will be "swept back" enough to obtain a comfortable riding position. I know it would not be an issue with the 18 but im having trouble knowing how much frame real estate i will loose with the 18. Another thing about the 20, the headtube is longer which i think would add more options as far as riding positions go. Does anyone have a side view of a 18" troll?