mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Fattest tires for 1x1?

So since winter has started in my neck of the woods, I'm thinking I need a fat bike. My 1x1 has been many things over the last few years and now I'm thinking about going fat.

I just have some 26" rims and v brakes but might upgrade to discs. So what's the fattest that people have gone with their 1x1s? Looking for snow tires, since I live on a perfectly groomed xc ski track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i don't have experience riding in snow, but i've used kenda nevegal 2.5 in my 1x1 and they fit just fine even with v-brakes, and i figure you could kind of make your own studded tires for snow use with these

i've seen someone use large marge rims on their 1x1, but he used 3.0 slick tires

i'll try to send pics if you're interested in seeing them
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If it's not too much trouble, pics would help.... I'd rather not buy new rims but if that's what I gotta do, I'd like to get a snowbike rolling soon.

NONDURO
    24"x3" mounted on 2.5" wide Surly Large Marge rims seems to be the widest that will fit on the back of a 1x1, while the front will gladly accommodate a 26"x3" mounted on a 2.5" wide Surly Large Marge rim. Here is a picture of 3" wide DH tires on above mentioned setup:

Plenty of clearance left over.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    (sorry, picture won't load properly )

got this one from the internet, saved it just in case i go this route later on

think it's from a japanese guy who powdercoated his large marge rims and shod them with maxxis hookworm downhill tires

can't find the other one, a local guy built up a wheelset using large marge rims and stuffed it into his
    1x1 frame using slick tires, but the effect is similar to the one above; you might need to take off the Vbrake bosses though
    Last edited by bb1mina; 10-08-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: picture didn't load properly
    biker boy

@adelorenzo
    Friend of mine ran Large Marge rims with big Gazzaloddis (2.7? maybe 3.0) in his 1x1.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    Friend of mine ran Large Marge rims with big Gazzaloddis (2.7? maybe 3.0) in his 1x1.
    Mine has a 26"x3.0" Nokian Gazzaloddi up front, and a 24"x3.0" Arrow Racing Wide Bite DH tire in back. No clearance issues whatsoever, but I have the 1x1=11 Anniversary Edition Surly 1x1 (the 2009 model) which has no canti bosses on either the frame or fork.

The rear doesn’t seem to want to take to a 26"x3.0" in back unless the tire is mounted on something less wide than a Surly Large Marge. I had been running (until yesterday) a 26"x3.0" Duro Razorback DH tire in back on a Salsa el Gordo rim (I think it’s a mere 32mm wide) and it cleared with roughly 2.5mm on either side of the side knobs of the tire (to the chainstays). If you want fatter, the only logical step is to either go with a Pugsley (or a 9:zero:7, Fatback, etc.) or get one of those fat cruiser bikes.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1mina View Post
    (sorry, picture won't load properly )

got this one from the internet, saved it just in case i go this route later on

think it's from a japanese guy who powdercoated his large marge rims and shod them with maxxis hookworm downhill tires

can't find the other one, a local guy built up a wheelset using large marge rims and stuffed it into his
    1x1 frame using slick tires, but the effect is similar to the one above; you might need to take off the Vbrake bosses though
    Maxxis Hookworms aren’t downhill tires, rather, they are “urban/commuter/cruiser” tires. I have a set of the 26"x2.5" Hookworms shod on Surly Large Marge rims on my Surly Big Dummy cargobike, and they are very much not downhill tires. They do grip amazingly well in dirt and loose stuff however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @bipolarbear

found the picture, just can't load it here
    pm me your email address and i'll forward it to you

@leopold

i'll also email the pic to you, maybe you can help determine the rim size bec i'm also interested in the setup (i'll have a spare 1x1 frame when my son's troll frame gets built up)

regarding the tire, i thought i read downhill written on the sidewall, pls check if it's the same tire model

thanks!
    biker boy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here are some old pics my plump 1x1, back when I first started putting it together.

I cut the canti brake bosses off (both frame and fork), but otherwise it is a stock 1x1 frameset. It is a 22" frame.

Both the front and rear wheels use 26" Large Marge rims (65mm wide).

It had Kenda Nevegal tires front and back. If I remember correctly it was a 2.7" in front and a 2.5" in back (although I think a 2.7" Nevegal/Large Marge would've fit in the back).

Later on I bought a Pug fork so I could run a 3.7" tire in front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    kind of surprised it has to be asked but 26x3.0 gazzis front and rear fit fine.
    (40mm spank rims are the widest rims I've tried though)

there's a pic or three of my 1x1 last winter with the gazzis on it, more'n fine for snow.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @bipolarbear

found the thread containing the modded out surly 1x1 with large marge rims i was telling you about
    check it out: "surly custom painted bicycles" post #35 by martinsillo, oct 17, 2010

love the custom color combo of the 1x1 frame/ marge rims, plan to get large marge rims too, when my i get my son's 1x1 in exchange for a troll frame (he now needs gears for climbing/ loaded touring)

one other outstanding custom color frame is the big dummy by gregclimbs, which also sports the maxxis hookworm 26x2.5 but used only regular wtb rims

(note the 1x1's tries, thought i read downhill on the sidewall, but as leopold pointed out, they are not for downhill use)
    biker boy

lpt1
    I am using old-style 20" 1x1 with home-shaved 26x3" Nokian Gazzaloddy tyres on Weinmann DHL65 (65mm wide) rims. Canti bosses are chopped out. Max tyre width is 78mm. Clearance is 5-7 mm, depend on rear wheel position. Unshaved gazzaloddies fits well, but I don't like DH tread.

Peat bog riding
    Green on white