mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Fair price for 2008 Cross Check?

I have been trying to sell my Cross Check for a couple months now, but I keep getting told I have it way over priced.

It's a 2008 Cross Check with a few minor upgrades (Thomson stem and post, extra tires, etc...) and I have had a bunch of people offer $375-400 for the bike. Is this what it's really worth?

I am thinking if that's all it's worth, I would rather just keep the thing.

I am NOT fishing for offers here, just genuinely wondering what my bike is worth. As of right now, I have taken it off the classifieds here and off Craigslist, so it isn't even for sale. If, however, this is not OK with the rules, I understand if this post needs to be deleted.

Thanks for any advice/information.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thus is it ever...sellers always ask to much because, after all, its their special bike and buyers always offer too little because they're chasing the fabled "craigslist find." And the truth is somewhere in the middle.

At the end of the day, though, used bikes are worth what buyers say their worth - just like houses. But there's more than one way to skin a cat. You might just need a different strategy. Have you got a friend or relative in a city where Surly's command a higher price? Is cyclocross a big deal in your area? You might have just had your bike on the market before anyone was thinking about 'cross season, but now folks might be scrambling for a pit bike like the CC. What about parting out the bike? If you could get $200 or $300 for the frameset and $100-$200 for the wheels, you'd be right in there and rest would be gravy. Or try to see if a shop or coop will take it on consignment. Someone shopping for a new CC might take your's instead, at closer to your asking price, if they knew it was in ready-to-ride condition. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Considering that you can get a new complete CC for around $1150 or so, and the bike, components, etc. are 4 years old, $400 to $500 is actually a fair price. Of course this is without knowing what components you have installed, the condition of the bike, etc.

While $375 is a bit low, anything between $400 on to around $500 is pretty much "on the money" so to speak.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I hate to say it but $400 sounds exactly right to me. If you really wanted to blow it out, you would take one of those offers. If you don't really want to sell it, then don't. When I had a pricy bike that was about 4 yrs and several thousand miles old, I didn't think about discounting x% per year, I didn't think at all about the changes I made to it (how can you ask someone to pay for your thomson stem/post when they never would have got one themselves?), I just figured 'somebody will want this for $350', and I was right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Huh, looks like I need to do some thinking then.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Considering that you can get a new complete CC for around $1150 or so, and the bike, components, etc. are 4 years old, $400 to $500 is actually a fair price. Of course this is without knowing what components you have installed, the condition of the bike, etc.

While $375 is a bit low, anything between $400 on to around $500 is pretty much "on the money" so to speak.

Good Dirt
    Cross Checks are going for twice that on ebay. Sounds like someone is angling to get a bike for a steal. I'd say sell it on ebay. Surly has an almost cult like status. Good luck to the OP.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So I ended up trading the bike for a Single Speed 29er. Special Ed Rockhopper with White Bros carbon fork, Salsa carbon bars, custom wheels, and some other goodies.

We both felt real good about the trade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy!