mtbr member
    Dec 2010

The Evolution of (my) Surly 1x1! lots of pic inside :P

ah yea some of pics here already posted in some thread, but i compile it on one thread... enjoy

first build SS mode

fixed mode, gear ratio 38/17

using "suicide hub" method.. till now

geared, and drop bar-ed

using problem solver derailleur hanger

a shot after goin offroad

still dropbar-ed, geared, only with 29er wheels

front tight clearance

some shot when goin offroad, at the checkpoint

the only 29er in the club hahaha!

fixed gear mode, 29er, flat pedat with straps.... well it's not me riding it, it my friend he lend it for quick stop competition and he won!

this is my currently setup, only change the stem... i commute everyday with it and lot's of fun

mtbr member
    Great pics man. Thanks for sharing.

Your seatpost looks super low - did you consider getting a smaller size?

Are you happy with how it handles as a 29er?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    yea i know, i'm 165cm... i'm a shorty, i should pick S size, but i got this frame super cheap (in used condition) so i grab it fast haha

yes i'm so happy with 29er, it rides more stiff and handle much better, but for the matter of my inseam, i think i'll build a second 26" wheelset

mtbr member
    What a great idea for a thread!! We should all post the evolutions of our own surlies! New thread perhaps? What say you all?

I love your 1x1. Looks like a well loved bike.

mtbr member
    Are you able to get decent chainline with the geared 1x1? On my frame with sinz cranks, the chainline goes all the way to the outside of the hub, with reasonable crankarm clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    What a great idea for a thread!! We should all post the evolutions of our own surlies! New thread perhaps? What say you all?

I love your 1x1. Looks like a well loved bike.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    Are you able to get decent chainline with the geared 1x1? On my frame with sinz cranks, the chainline goes all the way to the outside of the hub, with reasonable crankarm clearance.
    you can see at the pic when me and my friends going offroad, i run 1x8 gearing, 32T front, i using Amoeba chainguide, if it's not, my chain will keep dropping, but it not happen if i use 38T chainring (113 BB axle length)

PRETENDURO
    Wow! Lots of changes on my 1x1 (2009 11th Anniversary Edition “Rat Ride” 1x1) have taken place. Started out as single speed with the 24"x3.45" slicks on 65mm wide Surly Large Marge rims, eventually transitioned into an 8-Speed Alfine IGH equipped offroad bike running Nokian Gazzaloddi 26"x3" up front and Arrow Racing Wide Bite DH 24"x3" out in back… only to upgrade to a singlespeed setup (32x22) running a Surly Pugsley symmetrical non-offset front fork with a Surly Endomorph 26"x3.7" tire. Here are a couple pics of the bike in various stages:

D’oh, just realised I hadn’t taken any pictures of the fully fat front setup running the 32x22 single speed. Bike has been reverted back to stock, in anticipation of selling it.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ooow! thanks for sharing!

glad to see post from others... let see another

mtbr member
    you just gave me an idea for a polo bike. looks pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    you just gave me an idea for a polo bike. looks pretty cool.
    i've seen surly 1x1 use for polo... somewhere on flickr...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adjitridika View Post
    i've seen surly 1x1 use for polo... somewhere on flickr...
    There are a few players here in Minneapolis that are using 1x1 frames for polo.

I had a 1x1 fork on my polo bike for a while... until a crash did this:
    Last edited by FTMN; 06-04-2011 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adjitridika View Post
    ooow! thanks for sharing!

glad to see post from others... let see another
    Most of these pics have been posted elsewhere, but here they are again. My 1x1 has seen a few different configurations over the years...

Large Marge rims, Hookworm tires, 2 speed drivetrain (2 chainrings, one rear cog):

Singlespeed with moustache bars (and Hookworms/Marges):

1x9 drivetrain and 29er wheels:

Snow Bike - Marges, Pug fork, Larry in front, 2.7 Nevegal in back:

Here's the current set-up. 2x4 drivetrain, Surly Open Bars, Hookworms/Marges:

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    mr FTMN, actually you the one already gave me influences to change settings on my 1x1
    i'll see that pics before, so i try many things too! i still amazed about how it fits on 29er wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    All these photos of the 1x1 with 29" wheels. Anybody mount 29ers on the Troll? If so got pics ? How did it ride ? thx

Obi
    mtbr member
    Raven's Original Build. TALAS Fork, Hope Stoppers, Hussefelt Crankset, CK ISO Hubset on SunRingle SingleTracks and MAXIS DHF/DHR.

2007, went to the 2007 TALAS Fork and Juicy 7's.

2011 XO Stoppers.

CK ISO SS Hubs laced to Mavic 823EX's: 32 hole zero dish.

Newest Upgrade and switched back to Kenda Nevegals.

Stylo SS Crankset.

Replaced the bars and threw some carbon levers on the XO's for bling factor.

I'll see if I can dig up some of Sweet Pea, the green one w/ the 650-B's.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

What's that smell?
    Before:

After:

Obi
    mtbr member
    This thread needs some more love in it, have some rep points!

Share 'em if ya got 'em!
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    To adjitridika and FTMN, how well do the after-market hangers hold up?

I'm looking to get a 1x1 that I will run SS locally but would like to run 1x8 for trips to the big mountains. Thanks.
    "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i had no problem issues on it... i'm using ProblemSolver universal derailleur hanger... only have to bit lil tricky on adjusting crankset

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jwgd View Post
    To adjitridika and FTMN, how well do the after-market hangers hold up?

I'm looking to get a 1x1 that I will run SS locally but would like to run 1x8 for trips to the big mountains. Thanks.
    I used a DMR chaintug w/ mech. hanger without any major issues. Whenever shifting was a little slow or rough I always wondered if it was the hanger... could easily be other factors.

The only issue I ever had was with wheel removal. And again it wasn't major - it just takes a few extra steps and some more time. Removing the rear wheel requires that you remove the derailleur, but it always went back on easily and shifted the same as it did before.

If you don't want to run full length cables, you can buy clamp on cable stops.

Personally, I'd run full length cables, attached with zipties, and have 2 chains (a longer one for gears and a shorter one for SS). I'd also use SRAM chains with power links. I bet you could do the switch between SS and gears in about 15 minutes (once you get the derailleur adjusted).

I think using an after-market hanger is great idea in your situation, since you don't want gears all the time. Just get used to wheel removal and all that stuff before you get a flat while out in the middle of no where.

I eventually had a hanger welded on since I always run gears now.
    Last edited by FTMN; 07-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phxartboy View Post

What fork is that? I've been thinking of putting some squish up front. I'm a noob when it comes to forks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    Personally, I'd run full length cables, attached with zipties, and have 2 chains (a longer one for gears and a shorter one for SS). I'd also use SRAM chains with power links. I bet you could do the switch between SS and gears in about 15 minutes (once you get the derailleur adjusted).
    That's my plan right there. Probably run an Ultegra Barend on a hinged mount from Velo-Orange. With full length housing, I could take the whole thing off as a unit without removing the grip and lever.

Did you have to do any grinding on the DMR?
    "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jwgd View Post
    That's my plan right there. Probably run an Ultegra Barend on a hinged mount from Velo-Orange. With full length housing, I could take the whole thing off as a unit without removing the grip and lever.

Did you have to do any grinding on the DMR?
    Forgot about that... yes, I had to grind the tops of the DMR chaintugs so that they would slide into the frame. I used a bench grinder, but there wasn't much material that needed to be removed. You could probably use a hand file if you don't have a grinder.

What's that smell?
    Quote Originally Posted by damnilocano View Post
    What fork is that? I've been thinking of putting some squish up front. I'm a noob when it comes to forks.
    http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...dOggetto=58145

Perfect for street and cheap too.