Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Evolution of (my) Surly 1x1! lots of pic inside :P

12K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  phxartboy 
#1 ·
ah yea some of pics here already posted in some thread, but i compile it on one thread... enjoy

first build SS mode

fixed mode, gear ratio 38/17

using "suicide hub" method.. till now

geared, and drop bar-ed

using problem solver derailleur hanger

a shot after goin offroad

still dropbar-ed, geared, only with 29er wheels :)

front tight clearance

some shot when goin offroad, at the checkpoint

the only 29er in the club hahaha!

fixed gear mode, 29er, flat pedat with straps.... well it's not me riding it, it my friend he lend it for quick stop competition and he won!

this is my currently setup, only change the stem... i commute everyday with it and lot's of fun

See less See more
#3 ·
yea i know, i'm 165cm... i'm a shorty, i should pick S size, but i got this frame super cheap (in used condition) so i grab it fast haha

yes i'm so happy with 29er, it rides more stiff and handle much better, but for the matter of my inseam, i think i'll build a second 26" wheelset

#6 ·
What a great idea for a thread!! We should all post the evolutions of our own surlies! New thread perhaps? What say you all?

I love your 1x1. Looks like a well loved bike.
agreed :)

Are you able to get decent chainline with the geared 1x1? On my frame with sinz cranks, the chainline goes all the way to the outside of the hub, with reasonable crankarm clearance.
you can see at the pic when me and my friends going offroad, i run 1x8 gearing, 32T front, i using Amoeba chainguide, if it's not, my chain will keep dropping, but it not happen if i use 38T chainring (113 BB axle length)

#7 ·
Wow! Lots of changes on my 1x1 (2009 11th Anniversary Edition "Rat Ride" 1x1) have taken place. Started out as single speed with the 24"x3.45" slicks on 65mm wide Surly Large Marge rims, eventually transitioned into an 8-Speed Alfine IGH equipped offroad bike running Nokian Gazzaloddi 26"x3" up front and Arrow Racing Wide Bite DH 24"x3" out in back… only to upgrade to a singlespeed setup (32x22) running a Surly Pugsley symmetrical non-offset front fork with a Surly Endomorph 26"x3.7" tire. Here are a couple pics of the bike in various stages:

D'oh, just realised I hadn't taken any pictures of the fully fat front setup running the 32x22 single speed. Bike has been reverted back to stock, in anticipation of selling it.

#12 ·
ooow! thanks for sharing!

glad to see post from others... let see another
Most of these pics have been posted elsewhere, but here they are again. My 1x1 has seen a few different configurations over the years...

Large Marge rims, Hookworm tires, 2 speed drivetrain (2 chainrings, one rear cog):

Singlespeed with moustache bars (and Hookworms/Marges):

1x9 drivetrain and 29er wheels:

Snow Bike - Marges, Pug fork, Larry in front, 2.7 Nevegal in back:

Here's the current set-up. 2x4 drivetrain, Surly Open Bars, Hookworms/Marges:

#15 ·
Raven's Original Build. TALAS Fork, Hope Stoppers, Hussefelt Crankset, CK ISO Hubset on SunRingle SingleTracks and MAXIS DHF/DHR.

2007, went to the 2007 TALAS Fork and Juicy 7's.

2011 XO Stoppers.

CK ISO SS Hubs laced to Mavic 823EX's: 32 hole zero dish.

Newest Upgrade and switched back to Kenda Nevegals.

Stylo SS Crankset.

Replaced the bars and threw some carbon levers on the XO's for bling factor.

I'll see if I can dig up some of Sweet Pea, the green one w/ the 650-B's. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
To adjitridika and FTMN, how well do the after-market hangers hold up?

I'm looking to get a 1x1 that I will run SS locally but would like to run 1x8 for trips to the big mountains. Thanks.

#20 · (Edited)
To adjitridika and FTMN, how well do the after-market hangers hold up?

I'm looking to get a 1x1 that I will run SS locally but would like to run 1x8 for trips to the big mountains. Thanks.
I used a DMR chaintug w/ mech. hanger without any major issues. Whenever shifting was a little slow or rough I always wondered if it was the hanger... could easily be other factors.

The only issue I ever had was with wheel removal. And again it wasn't major - it just takes a few extra steps and some more time. Removing the rear wheel requires that you remove the derailleur, but it always went back on easily and shifted the same as it did before.

If you don't want to run full length cables, you can buy clamp on cable stops.

Personally, I'd run full length cables, attached with zipties, and have 2 chains (a longer one for gears and a shorter one for SS). I'd also use SRAM chains with power links. I bet you could do the switch between SS and gears in about 15 minutes (once you get the derailleur adjusted).

I think using an after-market hanger is great idea in your situation, since you don't want gears all the time. Just get used to wheel removal and all that stuff before you get a flat while out in the middle of no where.

I eventually had a hanger welded on since I always run gears now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.