Thread: DT fork on LHT?

mtbr member

DT fork on LHT?

Anyone put a Disc Trucker fork on their Long Haul Trucker?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Funny you should ask, I just ordered a trucker fork (as well as a few other goodies for the winter commute...) With any luck I'll be able to post some pics next week.

Here's a before:

mtbr member
    Definitely post a picture when you have it done and, more importantly, a report of how it works and feels. Which disc brake will you be using? I imagine that if you go with a BB7 it'll be the mountain bike model. I see you have v-brakes on your bike already so you wouldn't need to change levers.

If I make the conversion I'll probably use the road model as I'd like to keep the levers I have. Then again, I may swap the levers and my rear brake (canti to v).
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, the plan is to use either a BB7 or an old Hayes MX2. I've used both with these Tektro v-levers and very pleased with with the combination. The pivit point on them gives great leverage from the hoods. I haven't looked at the disc trucker fork close enough to see if there are any hose/cable guides, but I've found that securing the line tightly along the length of the fork leg helps with lever feel.

mtbr member
    Bacoes, you ever end up putting that DT fork on your LHT?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a 2011 LHT and it has the black disc trucker fork on it with a bb7 road brake. Has been working great even when pulling a very heavy trailer.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I've seen lots of people doing this in Seattle. It's a quick mod for someone who doesn't want to replace the entire frame, but still wants to get good braking on the front, and whatever on the back.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post. This is good to know. I may make this switch when I replace my front wheel in the future.