Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Drop bars on a Troll?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  senor_mikey 
#1 ·
I am thinking about putting drop bars on my troll, I have tried on a 1x1 that I had but I could not get the bars high enough (relative to the seat). For the Troll I am thinking a new fork and stem will help with the height. Which fork should I get? I have had the Salsa Cromoto and liked it. Should I get a 29er fork for extra height?

#2 ·
nah bro, a 9er fork will jack up the front end a touch and start messing with your angles. bikes are all about the angles, and you don't want to mess with the angles. once you've got the angles, you've got to keep the angles.

the cromoto is a great fork, and i highly recommend it, but you lose all the fun parts of the troll fork like the rack and water bottle mounts! the troll deserves a troll fork!

#5 ·
That depends. Are we talking dirt drops, where you would be riding in the drops most the time, or a traditional drop setup, where you will be riding on the hoods mostly?

Dirt drops require a very tall front end and will usually require a longer stem and steerer tube. Traditional drop will be lower and, because you main hand position will be moved farther forward, will usually require a shorter stem or toptube.

Check out Bunyan Velo issue one for some good pictures of a Troll with drops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.