mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Drop Bar Krampus

Dumb ass guy (me) buys a carbon CX bike to train on when not SSing. Not feeling it. Might pull specs & build a Krampus with its specs to not take as huge of a loss on it. Anyone try this? Reach issues?? Any & all advice appreciated! Photos would be outstanding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have not tried it myself, but you may need a rather high rise, short reach stem to get the drop bars in the right position. But, it all depends on you and the bike.

As someone who owns a drop bar, rigid, steel, off-road bike (Salsa Fargo), I'd love to see how your project turns out! The Krampus has been tempting me for a while.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post
    Photos would be outstanding
    Yes please.

Without looking at the geo I'd bet you would have to go a size or two small to make it work, and you may have to source a tall stem depending on hand position preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    100% a medium with flat bar. Thought about sizing down too, big investment for the unknown. I tried to compare geometry to my SuperX that I'd be swapping with. Medium doesn't seem out of the question with a short high degree stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post
    100% a medium with flat bar. Thought about sizing down too, big investment for the unknown. I tried to compare geometry to my SuperX that I'd be swapping with. Medium doesn't seem out of the question with a short high degree stem.
    I wouldn't throw good money after bad. Setup the Krampus in the size and spec you actually want and sell the CX bike to pay for it unless you can use most of the parts.

If you get a Krampus that actually fits you with drops it won't fit you with a flat bar should you change your mind.

Do you actually want a drop bar mountain bike with 29 x 3.0" tires?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I did mountain drops on my pugs for a while, you'll need to get a slightly shorter stem combined with spacers on your fork. Mountain drops tend to be designed more for riding in the dropout areas more than the hoods, so you'll want to jack up your stem to level or slightly above seat level.
    I switched back to my Jones loops simply for more handlebar space for accessories. The Woddchippers worked well though. Putting them on my Straggler SS build once the frame gets here!

Drop Bar Krampus-image.jpg

Drop Bar Krampus-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I bet you'll love it if sized right. My KM was my primary trail bike and I run it with drops (on-one midge). Loved it but tt is too long. Right now is back with riser flatbar on around city/leisure duties with big apples. trail bike role went to 69er i built off old cannondale frame, also with midge bars. I also have gravel grinder on-one pompetamine - also with midge bars. Proper setup and sizing is crucial and I honestly don't want to ride with regular bars on the trail - drop bars rule for me personally. Upcoming Moonie build will likely get midge bars as well.

mtbr member
    btw, I am 5'8 and will likely get Moonie in size Small so I can run drops later on it. My KM is 18" - I guess Medium?
    And as soon as I get my hands on Straggler - it will get midge bars too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I got frustrated trying to get drops to work with my XXL Ogre and just put Jones h-bars on the other day, I find it much more natural feeling with the frame.

The issue I think was that there wasn't enough head tube for my size vs the frame to get the drops where I liked them. Though I'm not in good shape and even level to the saddle the drops just felt wrong.

mtbr member
    If you want a drop bar mountain bike just get a Fargo. Based on the Fargo thread over on the Salsa page there are tons of folks who love riding them unloaded.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I wouldn't throw good money after bad. Setup the Krampus in the size and spec you actually want and sell the CX bike to pay for it unless you can use most of the parts.

If you get a Krampus that actually fits you with drops it won't fit you with a flat bar should you change your mind.

Do you actually want a drop bar mountain bike with 29 x 3.0" tires?
    I agree with Vik 100% on this one. The Krampus is a rigid trail/AM style bike, meant to ridden be long in the top tube and with a 50mm stem. It's going to feel really weird running drop bars on a bike with a 69 degree head angle.

I think the original poster is going to be happiest with switching the parts over to a Cross Check/Straggler or possibly a small Karate Monkey.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    A friend of mine, JoeP, in the DC area setup his Krampus with drop bars, and loves it. YMMV