Tape used why not:
    Brake levers:
    Stem type and angle:
    Spacers if used:

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bueller.....Bueller

Self-defeatist
    Can't help you with the Karate Monkey, as I don't own one, but I'd buy a size smaller than you would buy for flat bars.
    I like my WTB drops, but I'd buy Salsa Woodchippers next time.
    Double wrap of whatever tape I like the colour of. Just wrapping to the brake hoods looks pretty cool, I feel.
    Tektro has a couple of linear-pull choices.
    Cheap Dimension stem, Salsa makes a wide range, too. I've got a 120mm since the extreme rise cancels out some of the length.
    Spacers are hand carved rhino horn when I can find them, but plastic or aluminum will work. Carbon, too. I left my fork head-tube uncut.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm really between the on one midge and the salsa woodchippers. If I could only see them in person.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have an Ogre, but maybe this will give you somewhere to start:

Frame size: 22 (I'm 6'2"+)
    Drop bars used: Nashbar oversized 31.8mm road bars)
    Tape used why not: garden variety cork tape (fake cork rubber stuff), not double wrapped.
    Brake levers: Tektro (Shimano bar end shifters)
    Stem type and angle: Titec El Norte downhill stem (going 31.8 opened up the whole world of short downhill stems)
    Spacers if used: Quite a few. I left the steerer uncut until I found a happy place, then cut it leaving 1 spacer above the stem, just in case I want to move it up a little more)
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    CommuterBoy have you done any technical trails with that setup?

I Ride for Donuts
    "Technical" is a broad term... I regularly ride it on a fairly steep singletrack trail with multiple switchbacks. I ride it uphill and downhill. There are a few minor rocky sections, no real roots. Some loose pine needles and loose to packed variations of dirt. I spend most of my time on the hoods. Braking is a one-finger over-the-hood deal...BB7's make it easy.

I have thought about setting it up with a true 'dirt drop' type of bar, but this set up is more comfortable for gravel road/touring/paved roads, and I don't like where most dirt drops put my bar end shifters. This set up gets them way out of the way of my knees when I'm standing, and closer to my hands when I need to grab a gear. Also, a true drop bar gives me the real 'drop' option for the fairly nasty wind I get on my commute sometimes.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's good to hear and yeah that covers "technical" pretty well as far as I'm concerned.