Thread: Does this work

mtbr member

Does this work

I have a CC. I love this bike more than any I have had. But, I wanted to get the handl-bar higher and changed to a generic mtb stem (2 bolt) for the time being that is 25.4. I think the Salsa H-Bar on it is a 26.0. It fit fine and there were no issues as far as I can tell except for a tiny gap on the bottom and top where the bolts screw in. I need to know, am I risking life or limb by doing this? The stem is solid and bolts down firmly. I know the difference in the two stems is not much but still, just for peace of mind, I need to know
    Currently reviewing an Ibex Maroc 29er

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Not good! Mixing clamp diameters is bad. Maybe you'll get lucky, but usually the bars won't stay tight for long. The difference is small I know, but it does make a difference, seriously. And yes, I've tried it before.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Not good! Mixing clamp diameters is bad. Maybe you'll get lucky, but usually the bars won't stay tight for long. The difference is small I know, but it does make a difference, seriously. And yes, I've tried it before.
    Thanks, I'll swap it back tonight

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taterbug View Post
    It fit fine and there were no issues as far as I can tell except for a tiny gap on the bottom and top where the bolts screw in. I need to know, am I risking life or limb by doing this? The stem is solid and bolts down firmly.
    No matter how stable the stem seems, it is just the bolt w/ no help from the stem holding your bar in place. If you could close that gap and get the stem to connect all around the bar*, then the stem would be holding the bar down.

Otherwise the bar is just a lever using the stem as a fulcrum to work against that bolt.

*i.e. get a stem with a 26.0 mm clamp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    No matter how stable the stem seems, it is just the bolt w/ no help from the stem holding your bar in place. If you could close that gap and get the stem to connect all around the bar*, then the stem would be holding the bar down.

Otherwise the bar is just a lever using the stem as a fulcrum to work against that bolt.

*i.e. get a stem with a 26.0 mm clamp
    I will!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm pretty sure the h-bar is 25.4. The gap between the face plate and stem is normal if all parts of the face plate and stem are in contact with the bar.
    *pics will help diagnose the situation*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borison View Post
    I'm pretty sure the h-bar is 25.4. The gap between the face plate and stem is normal if all parts of the face plate and stem are in contact with the bar.
    *pics will help diagnose the situation*
    The bar actuall read "26.0" on the face-plate. I swapped it back. Another question, will a Nitto quill stem work on the CC? I want to get Nitto Rando H-bars and a Nitto stem and seatpost in silver to complement the grey of the CC. But the Nitto stems I have seen have all been quill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a CC. I love this bike more than any I have had. But, I wanted to get the handl-bar higher and changed to a generic mtb stem (2 bolt) for the time being that is 25.4. I think the Salsa H-Bar on it is a 26.0. It fit fine and there were no issues as far as I can tell except for a tiny gap on the bottom and top where the bolts screw in. I need to know, am I risking life or limb by doing this? The stem is solid and bolts down firmly. I know the difference in the two stems is not much but still, just for peace of mind, I need to know
    My bad, I saw "H-bar" and immediately thought of the Jones/Titec variety.

mtbr member
    The bar actuall read "26.0" on the face-plate. I swapped it back. Another question, will a Nitto quill stem work on the CC? I want to get Nitto Rando H-bars and a Nitto stem and seatpost in silver to complement the grey of the CC. But the Nitto stems I have seen have all been quill.
    Nope the quill stem won't work on the cross check- you'll need a thread less stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, I'll pile on a little bit. Unfortunately, threaded stems (i.e. quills) are not compatible with threadless headsets such as the CC is designed for. However, the next best thing are these lovely stems from Velo Orange. They're not even that expensive. The tall stack one is pretty sweet and has that quill stem look, but probably not so good for getting your bars up higher. Get the 17 degree one.

mtbr member
    i know this is a little late, but i thought this might help you picking a stem.

Stem Chart

it was very helpful in comparing my current height with what a given stem angle/ length would do to the overall height and reach. good luck.