mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Does Surly's require frame prep?

In the process of building up my first CC, I noticed all the rack mountings painted over. Not a big deal, I re-threaded the rear cable hanger so it thread all the way through, I can do it with the rack mounts also.

didn't face the headset (don't have tools for that), but what frame prep is typically required for thee frames?

The horz. dropout guides seem painted, do these need to be retapped to use?

Also my CC frame didn't come with any horizontal drop out hardware, is this something you have to buy separately? Anyone have a good source?

Fun project so far, but a lot of little "old school" things, using tools I haven't touched in a long time....

@adelorenzo
    I've done almost no frame prep on my Surly frames without any issue, although they do recommend that you do it:

http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/spew...r_steel_frame/

Note they also recommend putting rust inhibitor inside the frame. Never done that either but I live in a very dry place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Your frame should have came with the screws for the dropouts. I find I have to rethread a lot of the braze-ons. I haven't had to face and chase the bottom bracket. Never bothered with facing the headtube. I do framesaver every one.

mtbr member
    framesaver is the most I've done with the 3 frames i have. no problems yet
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The CC rear cable hanger comes off of the seatpost clamp. Where did you thread it to?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ughhhh.....does frame saver really take 2-3 days to dry???

I had the head set installed and the bottom bracket. I guess I could take the bottom bracket out and do the frame saver. Just was close to getting it done, and now back to ordering more stuff and sitting and letting something dry.

Of note I did find I had to chase all the fender and rack mounts, the rear derailluer and chased the bottom bracket. I don't have the headset facer so didn't do that or take the paint off, hopefully the bike can live w/o that one.

Thanks for the link....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    The CC rear cable hanger comes off of the seatpost clamp. Where did you thread it to?
    There is a barell adjuster is threaded into the rear cable hanger. On mine it didn't turn freely or all the way through. I bent the metal rod out of the way and retapped the thread so the barell adjuster turns freely and to the end. Its the same thread size as the fender and rack mounts

mtbr member
    I've never prepped any of the steel frames I've purchased new, including my CC. Never had any issues with any of 'em.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL