mtbr member

do-all mtb: 1x1 or KM?

I would like to at least replace the frame on my porky Redline Monocog 26 (upgraded so much as to be unrecognizable now), but I'd like to get a more versatile bike while i am at it. coming from a bmx background, I feel like I'll be more at home on 26" wheels, but the 29er koolaide sounds tempting. so the KM sounds good. the point is to end up with one bike that can be set up more than one way to save room. here are my options:

1. KM complete. transfer over a few old parts like my ceramic BB (got it for free), Chris King headset, pedals, Salsa Promoto bars, etc.) then build up some 700c disc wheels with hybrid tires, an 8-speed cassette, a rear mech, and some sort of shifter I can easily install to make a pavement 1x8 setup. with that bike, two wheelsets, a shifter and rear derailleur, i could have a solid trail bike and good commuter in one point three bikes. then I would have enough parts left over to sell my whole moncog as a complete and get some decent $$ back.

2. get a 1x1 frameset, swap over all my old parts, sell my old frame and fork, build up some 700c disc wheels as described above, and use that as my pavement bike. i would need a new chain tug with a RD hanger too, which DMR and Problem Solvers make. this means a lot less $$ back and money is part of the issue. I am already selling my custom BMX bike to get one nice bike for general use.

so the questions remain- does the 1x1 handle badly on pavement with 700c wheels? will i regret not jumping on the 29er bandwagon when I had the chance? from what I can tell, the main difference between the KM and the 1x1 in actual geometry is the BB drop, but this may be because of the longer fork on the KM?
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 10-29-2011 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I used to ride a Karate Monkey as a commuter bike and I currently own two 29er mountain bikes (Niner SIR9 and WFO9). Weirdly enough, I prefer my current commuter bike, a Troll, to the Karate Monkey. Mine is set up with disc brakes, 2.4 Maxxis Holy Roller tires, and 1x9 gears. The Troll is way more versatile than the 1x1 since you can run gears and install a rear rack for commuter duty. I have yet to take my Troll offroad, but based on the way it handles on pavement I think it would make a pretty good mountain bike too. I love 29ers in the dirt but I'm really enjoying the little wheels on pavement. But if you want to try 29er wheels and plan on riding pavement, then the Ogre makes more sense if you have the patience to wait for it to be available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    if you really want to use 700c wheels, i suggest you get the karate monkey, or the ogre if you want to put racks, pull trailers, use internal gear hubs and stuff; geometry is really designed for bigger wheels, compared to the 1x1; big wheels is doable with a 1x1, but you'll have to "compromise" somewhat

my friend tried using 29er wheels in his 1x1, but the largest he could fit was kenda small block 29x2.1, and even then, he experiences tire rub during offroad use, much more so when it gets muddy; bigger tires at the back require that you place the wheels farther back at the dropouts, not an issue if you'll run gears

like thor29, i currenly ride a karate monkey; my son has a 1x1 with front and rear racks and rear panniers, still using Vbrakes because of the racks

we plan to replace the 1x1 with the troll as soon as its available in our place, because ot its ability to run discs/ gears/ racks, and fenders if ever we need to; as thor29 said, i think the "little" wheels of the troll is more stable for loaded touring both on- and off-road than the KM or the ogre

that said, if you really want to try bigger wheels, you won't go wrong with a karate monkey/ ogre
    biker boy

mtbr member
    i was planning to ride a 1x1 off-road with fat 26" knobbies and on pavement with 700x32 slicks or cx tires or something similar. when you really look at them, the main difference between the 1x1 and the KM seems to be a 1/2" longer chainstay on the KM and a different BB drop, which may be because of the longer fork on the KM. in the end, it really boils down to that over-done 26vs29 debate. I need to borrow a 29er and take my 26er to the trail on the same day and just ride the same trail on both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I traded my karate monkey for a 1x1 and never looked back.

I've run it with 26 and 700c. both are alright. I just run 26's with fat slicks for commuting now. I like the cush and availability/cost of the 26 stuff.

mtbr member
    with the RD cable guides and no-fuss ability to alter the KM, I think i'll go with the KM after all. I'll get some fat Big Apples and be done with it.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I'd vote KM (which I ride) for your described uses. I think a troll is also a good candidate for the job if you want to stay 26".

A KM with Big Apples would be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    one nice thing with the newer karate monkey frames is the ability to run full cable housing for the rear derailleur, keeps shifting precise even in muddy conditions
    biker boy

mtbr member
    New KM has really good rear rack mounts, so I don't think you give up anything in versatility over the troll or 1x1. My KM is so fast & so much fun, I can honestly say I'm not buying another 26" HT. Period.