Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disc Trucker

31K views 52 replies 29 participants last post by  MTB29erCurt 
#1 ·
Any Pic's and ride reports?

I searched and couldn't find any. But I am thinking of getting one.

Thanks

#4 ·
I didn't know they hadn't shipped yet. I guess I will wait to see.
Any update on when they ship?

I have ridden a LHT and liked it. I also like disc brakes better than rim brakes. I've been lusting after a Salsa Vaya but this came out and now I'm torn. I like to tour and ride with junk. I was thinking the 26 inch frame and then move stuff over from my parts bins and old mountain bike.
Besides it's just cool. I also like the Troll/Oger. Decisions desisions.

#5 ·
To my eyes the Disc Trucker wins hands down compared to the Vaya. But that's probably because I like the crowned fork and horizontal (mostly) top tube. Vaya has a less classic, more modern look. Functionally, I don't see how there can be much difference between the two. At least for the 700c LHTs. Obviously, the Disc Trucker is also available in 26" and the Vaya is not.

#6 ·
Yeah, I tend to agree. If though my LHT has a ton of HS spacers and all I still prefer it's look to that of the Vaya. Like you say though, in 700c they're probably very similar.

I can't describe what it is about the 26" wheel truckers that's so appealing but I'm really tempted to swap out my 700c canti LHT frame/wheels for a 26" Disc Trucker.

Anxiously awaiting more info and pictures of customer builds. I hope it's available soon.

#8 ·
So these are shipping now, how easily are they fenedered and racked? I'm really hoping that racks and fenders mount up easily without trips to the hardware store or busting out a Dremel tool.

#9 ·
Well, it will always depend on your specific racks and fenders, but all the mounting points on the frame are easily accessible, and the discs are out of the way. It should be about as easy as racks and fenders ever get. I'm sure you'll have some headaches, but I've never seen a rack and fender install that didn't involve at least a little cursing...

#10 ·
^ what he said

The LHT/DT has all the right bosses in all the right places, however, fenders and racks are almost always a "custom" fit to some extent. Fenders are particularly hard to fit exactly right. Racks aren't always level, especially in front. The job will be easier if you use Tubus racks and SKS/PB/VO fenders. VO fenders take a little more work but they look nicer then plastic or plastic/Al laminate. The metal fenders tend to rattle like hell, so you have to employ vibration-dampening leather washers and DIY rubber parts to quiet things down.

#18 ·
I built this bike to take the place of another ageing bike of mine.

I wanted something with disc brakes that I could use on the road and gravel that was rack friendly.

All out speed isn't my thing so I built some 36 hole Stan's Flow rims on some ISO Chris Kings wrapped in Crossroad Armadillo Elite tires.

I'm also not a fan of drop bars so I used a Soma Clarence bar.

So far, I've been very happy with the end product. There is still some minor tweaking, but that's to be expected. I do have size 12.5 feet that rub the front tire in certain situations, but I can live with that.

Attachments

#19 ·
Nice looking ride there Solrac.

I built up a cool ride with meaty 42mm cyclocross tires on a more MTB frame just before this came out. Now that it's out and I really like it, I think I'll have to get a F/F and switch all the parts out and have an even cooler ride.

I'll post some pics after the New Years when I start to build it up.

#20 ·
Nice looking ride there Solrac.

I built up a cool ride with meaty 42mm cyclocross tires on a more MTB frame just before this came out. Now that it's out and I really like it, I think I'll have to get a F/F and switch all the parts out and have an even cooler ride.

I'll post some pics after the New Years when I start to build it up.
Looking forward to it!

#24 ·
Clearances

Any real world reports on clearance with the 700c frame? Is it the same as the non-disc Trucker?

I'm interested in running 40c tires with (probably) 45mm fenders -- should fit fine?
I can't imagine the clearances for the DT being any different, or less, than the LHT. I run my 700c LHT with 40mm Schwalbes and SKS P45s no problem. The tires supposedly measure 38. I haven't checked. When the fenders go I'll replace them with P50s which provide a smidge better coverage.

#28 ·
Go with P50s

I put the P50s on my Rivendell Hilsen and they fit fine and that bike has extra long reach caliper brakes. The LHT/DT has even bigger clearances so it shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to post pictures.

#29 ·
Thanks guys. Most of the time I spend building up a bike, is obsessing over the details.

@ Matt
The tires I'm running are 38mm wide on Stan's Flow rims. I have a set of Velo Orange 52mm wide aluminum fenders that are going on after I paint them. I dry fit them, and they fit just fine. They are going to touch the chainstays, but just. The closest the tires get to the frame is at the chainstays with about 8mms on each side. I'll get some pictures up when that happens.

#36 ·
Any real world reports on clearance with the 700c frame? Is it the same as the non-disc Trucker?
I have had 29 X 2.0 Specialized tires on my non-disc trucker and it rubbed just a bit on the rear spoke holder which I think was moved on the disc trucker. 29 x 1.8 Specialized Renegades fit with more than enough clearance. I upgraded the front fork to Disc and the clearance is the same as the non disc front fork.

With 29 x 2.0 and cat5 cable everywhere.

Attachments

#37 ·
I took some measurements and with my 35.5mm tires I have 8mm clearance on the rear 10mm on the front. So I can assume a true 45mm(1.8") tire will fit with 3mm of clearance on either side in the rear. Depending on rim size, pressure, and tire manufacturing tolerances without mounting tires on your rims you can only get a rough estimate of what combination of wheel and tire will fit. I personally will run 42mm or narrower to allow a little more room for a bent rim or muddy conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.