Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disc Trucker

31K views 52 replies 29 participants last post by  MTB29erCurt 
#1 ·
Any Pic's and ride reports?

I searched and couldn't find any. But I am thinking of getting one.

Thanks

#38 ·
Rohloff Disc Trucker

Saw this on the Hiawatha blog: "Surly has been quietly putting Rohloff OEM2 mounts on several frame models, including the Big Dummy, Troll, Ogre, and Disc Trucker." Hiawatha Cyclery: Search results for ogre from January 8th, 2013. Not so quiet with the Troll and Ogre, but this was the first I had seen mention of the OEM2 mount on the Disc Trucker. The picture of the DT dropout on the Surly web site does show an added hole on the left side. Is this the mounting point they're talking about? Anyone have any experience with a Rohloff equipped Disc Trucker? Pictures perhaps?

Thanks.

#40 ·
Saw this on the Hiawatha blog: "Surly has been quietly putting Rohloff OEM2 mounts on several frame models, including the Big Dummy, Troll, Ogre, and Disc Trucker." Hiawatha Cyclery: Search results for ogre from January 8th, 2013. Not so quiet with the Troll and Ogre, but this was the first I had seen mention of the OEM2 mount on the Disc Trucker. The picture of the DT dropout on the Surly web site does show an added hole on the left side. Is this the mounting point they're talking about? Anyone have any experience with a Rohloff equipped Disc Trucker? Pictures perhaps?

Thanks.
Jim from HC has a 26" DT with a Rolhoff on it. I don't think he follows this site. Shoot him an email. He's a good guy and super knowledgeable.

#41 ·
Here's my 2014 Disc Trucker. I also have a review of it on YouTube which made it on Surly website back in the winter. I'll be doing another video soon when I get my front Surly Nice Rack from JensonUSA. Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel
Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar

#45 ·
Anyone have a 26" DT that they are running 650b or 700c on?

I'm currently doing the debate between LHT,CC,and DT and the DT is looking like it might be a viable option because it could trade wheelsets with my 1x1.

I just can't decide if that flexibility would be worth the cost. I have rim brake wheelsets already ready to go in 26 and 700c, and would have to build/get a set disc wheels to make a DT happen. Also only have some lousy old Hays G3 disc calipers to use on the DT.

Frame size would be 56 or 58 (6' rider). . . can't really decide there either. . .

Anyways. . .

Ride reports for flipping around wheelsets on a 26" DT?

#46 ·
Anyone have a 26" DT that they are running 650b or 700c on?

I'm currently doing the debate between LHT,CC,and DT and the DT is looking like it might be a viable option because it could trade wheelsets with my 1x1.

I just can't decide if that flexibility would be worth the cost. I have rim brake wheelsets already ready to go in 26 and 700c, and would have to build/get a set disc wheels to make a DT happen. Also only have some lousy old Hays G3 disc calipers to use on the DT.

Frame size would be 56 or 58 (6' rider). . . can't really decide there either. . .

Anyways. . .

Ride reports for flipping around wheelsets on a 26" DT?
The 56 and 58 frame sizes only come in 700c wheel size on the DT if that helps your decision.

#51 ·
56cm 700c Surly Disc Trucker

Completely Stock - Uncut Steer Tube - Size 12 Shoes

View attachment 993896

View attachment 993897

I still haven't decided if this is what I want. . . meh.
Interesting. I have the same bike and size as well. I also have fenders on my Disc trucker. I also wear the same size shoe as you. I wear SPD clippless shoes. The toe of my shoes are about an inch from my front fender on a turn. I don't understand why the toe of your shoe is touching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.