Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Rack mounts?
    Will the extenders on an Old Man Mountain Sherpa front rack attach to these fork crown bosses? Seems like they will. Just want to know before I buy.
    Cheers.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Z View Post
    Nicely painted details!
    You caught that too. I agree that's very nice and very subtle.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member

Go with P50s

Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    You think the P50s should fit fine? I think the Disc Trucker will be my next bike, and I had 40mm Duremes in mind (mmm... Dureme-y). Maybe 50mm fenders would be better.
    I put the P50s on my Rivendell Hilsen and they fit fine and that bike has extra long reach caliper brakes. The LHT/DT has even bigger clearances so it shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to post pictures.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

2 wheels & a meat motor
    Thanks guys. Most of the time I spend building up a bike, is obsessing over the details.

@ Matt
    The tires I'm running are 38mm wide on Stan's Flow rims. I have a set of Velo Orange 52mm wide aluminum fenders that are going on after I paint them. I dry fit them, and they fit just fine. They are going to touch the chainstays, but just. The closest the tires get to the frame is at the chainstays with about 8mms on each side. I'll get some pictures up when that happens.

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    Looking forward to it!
    Here it is...

This bike rides nice and solid. I like it!

Last edited by btl68; 01-15-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: new pictures...

Cycle Psycho
    Does the frameset come with the cable stops on the downtubes? Or do you need to supply your own?
    '10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Does the frameset come with the cable stops on the downtubes? Or do you need to supply your own?
    It does not come with those. I had an old set still in the package that I had saved for a good 20 years just for this frame...

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Anyone know what the boss on the side of the fork crown is for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy A View Post
    Will the extenders on an Old Man Mountain Sherpa front rack attach to these fork crown bosses? Seems like they will. Just want to know before I buy.
    Cheers.
    They have front racks that would be perfect for that; Velo Orange has an integrated decaleur rack that captures the concept quite well. On a LHT they would mount higher than conventional decaleur racks, which would make it simpler to mount directly on to the bars, but also distribute weight a little higher. I don't have suggestions for an exact model that would work, other than a guy at work has one already (he built his own frame & rack though).

The Salsa Casseroll (2012/2013) comes with a rack already if you're interested in what this looks like. A cursory search of "decaleur" turns up plenty of good examples too.

mtbr member
    work in progress

Disc Trucker-525432_541484129237142_482745149_n.jpg
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Put on some Midge bars, front rack and Ortlieb bags.

Disc Trucker-541299_555443331174555_1503577246_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any real world reports on clearance with the 700c frame? Is it the same as the non-disc Trucker?
    I have had 29 X 2.0 Specialized tires on my non-disc trucker and it rubbed just a bit on the rear spoke holder which I think was moved on the disc trucker. 29 x 1.8 Specialized Renegades fit with more than enough clearance. I upgraded the front fork to Disc and the clearance is the same as the non disc front fork.

With 29 x 2.0 and cat5 cable everywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc Trucker-lht_29er_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    I took some measurements and with my 35.5mm tires I have 8mm clearance on the rear 10mm on the front. So I can assume a true 45mm(1.8") tire will fit with 3mm of clearance on either side in the rear. Depending on rim size, pressure, and tire manufacturing tolerances without mounting tires on your rims you can only get a rough estimate of what combination of wheel and tire will fit. I personally will run 42mm or narrower to allow a little more room for a bent rim or muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Rohloff Disc Trucker

Saw this on the Hiawatha blog: "Surly has been quietly putting Rohloff OEM2 mounts on several frame models, including the Big Dummy, Troll, Ogre, and Disc Trucker." Hiawatha Cyclery: Search results for ogre from January 8th, 2013. Not so quiet with the Troll and Ogre, but this was the first I had seen mention of the OEM2 mount on the Disc Trucker. The picture of the DT dropout on the Surly web site does show an added hole on the left side. Is this the mounting point they're talking about? Anyone have any experience with a Rohloff equipped Disc Trucker? Pictures perhaps?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    They have front racks that would be perfect for that; Velo Orange has an integrated decaleur rack that captures the concept quite well. On a LHT they would mount higher than conventional decaleur racks, which would make it simpler to mount directly on to the bars, but also distribute weight a little higher. I don't have suggestions for an exact model that would work, other than a guy at work has one already (he built his own frame & rack though).

The Salsa Casseroll (2012/2013) comes with a rack already if you're interested in what this looks like. A cursory search of "decaleur" turns up plenty of good examples too.

It's grand now. Bought a Racktime front rack from Germany.
    Racktime - Top-it Frontträger

Cheap enough and perfect if a few grams heavier than Nitto etc. But happy enough now. Heading off next weekend for the first of the year for a two nighter.
    Last edited by Kilroy A; 04-12-2013 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    Saw this on the Hiawatha blog: "Surly has been quietly putting Rohloff OEM2 mounts on several frame models, including the Big Dummy, Troll, Ogre, and Disc Trucker." Hiawatha Cyclery: Search results for ogre from January 8th, 2013. Not so quiet with the Troll and Ogre, but this was the first I had seen mention of the OEM2 mount on the Disc Trucker. The picture of the DT dropout on the Surly web site does show an added hole on the left side. Is this the mounting point they're talking about? Anyone have any experience with a Rohloff equipped Disc Trucker? Pictures perhaps?

Thanks.
    Jim from HC has a 26" DT with a Rolhoff on it. I don't think he follows this site. Shoot him an email. He's a good guy and super knowledgeable.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Here's my 2014 Disc Trucker. I also have a review of it on YouTube which made it on Surly website back in the winter. I'll be doing another video soon when I get my front Surly Nice Rack from JensonUSA.Disc Trucker-surlydisc-010.jpgDisc Trucker-surlydisc-001.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NL4...-TgA2REF7z5wIA
    Curt

mtbr member
    My Disc Trucker in full commuter mode.

Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2